MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

IDOW Soundtrack?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires  
Author IDOW Soundtrack?
BadBadger
Since I haven't seen the doc, yet, I haven't heard any of the IDOW soundtrack other than what's on the trailers, which I understand was done by Solvent. BTW, what I have heard is very nice! So . . .

What gives, Jason? Will there be a release of the soundtrack? And maybe you could tell us more about it—inspiration, production, gear, groupies wiggling, etc. Hmm?
s o l v e n t
Hi,

Yes it will definitely be a soundtrack album release on CD / Vinyl / digital download. We pre-sold CDs and LPs as part of an IndieGoGo perk package, so I'm feeling bad about the fact that those people will have to wait so long, but that's just how it has to be.

It'll be released whenever the theatrical cut gets released officially. I have no idea when that will be at this time, maybe 3-6 months from now?

The soundtrack was done 100% using modulars, as a self-inflicted rule. Well OK I guess I used other FX but sound source wise it was all modular based, including the drums which were all synthesized by me on modulars. I debated whether using drum modules like TipTop etc would be cheating and I decided yes, so I didn't even use those. Mostly it was done on my Eurorack gear but I had a few sessions with some other borrowed modular gear, which I incorporated: a large Modcan B, a small DotCom, and a Moog 15.

I've been releasing music since 1997 and have put out albums on some pretty notable electronica labels like Morr Music and Ghostly. I'm an electronic musician first and foremost, definitely not a film guy who's trying his hand at music. This is the first film I've ever been involved with in fact.

I guess I can also say that I didn't sit there and score the film... I really just made a lot of music specifically for use in IDOW and then we made it work. In some cases I went back and created stripped down mixes of certain tracks that were too busy for background music. My music tends to be very melodic and because that's not always suitable for film soundtrack, I made an effort to try to make some music that was more abstract and outside of my musical tendencies. I also wanted to be explicit that it was "modular music" but without being overly experimental.

Cheers for the interest!

Jason
BadBadger
Like an idiot, I ordered IDOW HE in DVD and Blu-ray, but didn't even think about the CD. Glad to know it will be available for the slower of us. What I've heard is very good and seems to suit the story well. So much so, that I will order it when next available.

I really appreciate your sense of purity, if you will, in your approach to this music. The average person would have never cared nor even noticed had you incorporated more modern production techniques, e.g. soft synths, samplers, acoustic, etc. But I'm sure you realize that because your story is directed to a somewhat more esoteric and limited audience, using those tools might have attracted unwarranted criticism from the very people this film was directed at/done for. Kudos! thumbs up

FWIW, I haven't listened to your music, but I will now. Personally, I appreciate the more melodic, as well as ambient sort of stuff. Not really a fan of noise, which so much modern modular music seems to be. Not being critical— I love all kinds of music—I just prefer music that really seems to communicate ideas and emotions, not chaos. lol

Thanks for the response and enlightenment. Best of luck!
s o l v e n t
Thanks for the kind words. I've never used soft synths or acoustic instruments in my music anyway so it wasn't too much of a stretch. I've been a heavy user of analog synths and drum machines for my whole music career.

Here is my Soundcloud BTW:

http://soundcloud.com/solvent

If I were to recommend some songs to start I would say "A Panel Of Experts", "Curtains" & "A Product of The Process" in the instrumental realm, or if you like vocals/vocoder, try "My Radio" (this is my "hit"), "Wish" & "Loss For Words".
BadBadger
Wow! Just listened to all the songs you recommended, and a couple of others. I especially like A Product of the Process, My Radio, and of course Themogene. You have a new fan! applause
KnobHell
Not to sound too stupid here....

It was clear that some songs were soundtrack. Others appeared to be creadted by the people being interviewed.

Which are which? Is the soundtrack posted somewhere?
polyroy
I think all of the music that isn't obviously live audio from someone's synth is by Jason. The little groove that Martial Canteral had going is awesome.
KnobHell
I really enjoyed all the sounds, Jason's and others included.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
One thing I found quite amusing while watching Part 1 was the dead silence which accompanied the discussion of Switched-On Bach. Based on threads I've seen here discussing W. Carlos's excessively litigious nature and unparalleled capacity for getting butthurt, I wasn't at all surprised. I was hoping to read a disclaimer at the bottom of the screen at that point, explaining why we weren't hearing a snippet of Brandenburg No. 3 or whatever.
KnobHell
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
One thing I found quite amusing while watching Part 1 was the dead silence which accompanied the discussion of Switched-On Bach. Based on threads I've seen here discussing W. Carlos's excessively litigious nature and unparalleled capacity for getting butthurt, I wasn't at all surprised. I was hoping to read a disclaimer at the bottom of the screen at that point, explaining why we weren't hearing a snippet of Brandenburg No. 3 or whatever.

The comments were absolutely wonderful that the community at the time was ticked off because he produced conventional music. That was totally against their objectives with the new instrument.

I get into some interesting discussions with non-modular people about the inclusion of a keyboard controller. I try and explain that a keyboard is a highly limiting factor... It's a big paradigm shift for some people to step out of discreet notes and octaves.

In the end it was probably the right thing to do. I'm not sure mainstream was ready for totally "synthetic" music. It pushed most people way beyond their norms. In a way the pioneers paved the way for what will probably be a much more interesting future to come with the re-birth of the modular. Not only do we have more interesting technology, but we have one hell of a communications network to tie the community together.
coyotedad23
Just received my copy of IDOW soundtrack by Solvent and I am incredibly impressed. Watching the blu-ray, one does not get the full picture of the music made for it.
Plus, it sounds amazing on the red vinyl.
Excellent work, Solvent!!!
thumbs up
s o l v e n t
coyotedad23 wrote:
Just received my copy of IDOW soundtrack by Solvent and I am incredibly impressed. Watching the blu-ray, one does not get the full picture of the music made for it.
Plus, it sounds amazing on the red vinyl.
Excellent work, Solvent!!!
thumbs up

Thanks a lot - I appreciate it... for those interested you can stream the whole album here:

http://soundcloud.com/selftitledmag/sets/solvent-new-ways-music-from

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/22206292" height="200" iframe="true" /]
Ambriant
I have a vinyl copy of the IDOW Solvent soundtrack. I like it. Would have preferred more unconventional music, but it's all good.

The thing I like about the soundtrack is that you can hear a huge textural quality of interest that one just cant get from plugins and DAW's and such.

Would be cool if Bengi made a vinyl release one day. Haven't seen any of those yet. Expensive I'm sure, but probably a nice market out there for that sort of thing. Would like to see a lot more modular type stuff on vinyl, but that's just me.

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires  
Page 1 of 1