MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help! with power requirements
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Help! with power requirements
benephilia
Hi all,

I've just got the components for my first modular except for the filter and wanted to test it out with a filter in ableton live (until the filter module arrives)

I've noticed that the tip top happy ending kit power supply has three places to connect the ribbon cables (+5v, +12v, -12v) and I'm concerned that i might damage the modules connecting them to the wrong power supply.

the modules are...

pittsburgh modular oscillator
pittsburgh modular in/out
pittsburgh modular filter (on its way)
doepfer a-192-2 (cv to midi/usb)
doepfer a-140 (adsr)
doepfer a-145 (lfo)

ive noticed that on modular grid it says things like 20 mA -12v and 20 mA +12v
(doepfer a-145)

does this mean it can connect to either?

and if anyone could tell how to connect it and why that would be great for futere reference smile
johnnylonz
Check out this thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15109

Those modules should be fine. Just make sure you don't connect them upside down.
thermionicjunky
Most modules use BOTH + and - 12v. Some also use 5v.

The connector connects to every pin, but must be oriented correctly. If you connect a 10-pin cable to a 16-pin connector, you must use the bottom 10 connector pins with the supply voltages and ground, not the CV buss pins. The general convention, which I believe all of your modules conform to, is for the red stripe to connect to -12v. It should hopefully be marked on the PCB.
benephilia
so does this mean that all the listed modules can be connected to the -12 ribbon cable coming from the power supply, I've noticed the doepfer modules have pink dotted lines under the 10 to 16 pin adapter, are these connected in the same way?
thermionicjunky
benephilia wrote:
so does this mean that all the listed modules can be connected to the -12 ribbon cable coming from the power supply, I've noticed the doepfer modules have pink dotted lines under the 10 to 16 pin adapter, are these connected in the same way?


Every module connects in the same way, whether or not each supply is used. If you align -12 on the module with -12 on the buss board, everything else will align. If a supply is not required by a module, there will be no PCB traces connected to it.
qu.one
you have no VCA though, so your VCO will always be "on"

and please check the manual for your uZeus:

http://www.tiptopaudio.com/manuals/uzeusfbb.pdf

or

http://www.tiptopaudio.com/manuals/uzeusps.pdf
benephilia
i thought the in/out module was a vca that could also accept input from a guitar for filtering, is it not a vca?
daverj
All Euro modules connect with a ribbon that carries all of the voltages. Some modules use one, two, or all three of the voltages supplied. You don't have to think about which ones are needed since all of them connect at the same time through the same ribbon.

BUT... You can not simply plug any ribbon cable from a module into a power supply board without first checking that the connector is oriented correctly. If it gets plugged in the wrong you can destroy your module(s).

Doepfer and some other manufacturers assume that you are plugging the ribbon into one of their power distribution boards which do not have keyed headers. Keyed headers are ones with a box around the pins and they force the connector to be plugged in only one way.

The problem is that if you just blindly plug the ribbon into a keyed header (like the uZeus in the Happy Ending Kit) you might be plugging the connector in upside down and BOOM you might damage your module.

It is very important to look at every single module and it's ribbon cable before plugging it in and understand which end of the connector is supposed to be connected to the -12 end of the mating connector. The ribbons carry all the voltages, but the -12 volts is on one end of the connector so it is often used as the indicator of which end is which. Some modules mark that end "stripe" instead of -12, but that means the same thing.

But don't just trust the stripe. Only use it as a way to follow the ribbon from one end to the other. It's easy for a ribbon cable to be plugged into a module the wrong way around and if that happens the stripe might be at the +12 end instead of the -12 end.

So you need to start at the module and look for an indication on the board for -12v or "stripe". Then see if the actual stripe is at that end of the connector or not. Using that knowledge, follow the ribbon to the other end and you should be able to tell which end of that connector needs to go to -12. Whether it's the stripe or not depends on whether the stripe was at the -12 end on the module or not.

Next, if using a keyed power distribution system like uZeus, see if the key on the connector (little tab sticking out) is going to mate with the little slot in the side of the keyed header and still connect the -12 to the stripe or -12 indicator on that power distribution. If not, then the cable was not made correctly to be used with a keyed header and should not be plugged in.
sonicwarrior
Please don't double post, that gives you superbad mojo and you might end as a fly in the next life. Haha!
=> https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1265225#1265225
benephilia
sonicwarrior wrote:
Please don't double post, that gives you superbad mojo and you might end as a fly in the next life. Haha!
=> https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1265225#1265225


sorry about that, i just wasn't sure how to rephrase the question :p
benephilia
daverj wrote:
All Euro modules connect with a ribbon that carries all of the voltages. Some modules use one, two, or all three of the voltages supplied. You don't have to think about which ones are needed since all of them connect at the same time through the same ribbon.

BUT... You can not simply plug any ribbon cable from a module into a power supply board without first checking that the connector is oriented correctly. If it gets plugged in the wrong you can destroy your module(s).

Doepfer and some other manufacturers assume that you are plugging the ribbon into one of their power distribution boards which do not have keyed headers. Keyed headers are ones with a box around the pins and they force the connector to be plugged in only one way.

The problem is that if you just blindly plug the ribbon into a keyed header (like the uZeus in the Happy Ending Kit) you might be plugging the connector in upside down and BOOM you might damage your module.

It is very important to look at every single module and it's ribbon cable before plugging it in and understand which end of the connector is supposed to be connected to the -12 end of the mating connector. The ribbons carry all the voltages, but the -12 volts is on one end of the connector so it is often used as the indicator of which end is which. Some modules mark that end "stripe" instead of -12, but that means the same thing.

But don't just trust the stripe. Only use it as a way to follow the ribbon from one end to the other. It's easy for a ribbon cable to be plugged into a module the wrong way around and if that happens the stripe might be at the +12 end instead of the -12 end.

So you need to start at the module and look for an indication on the board for -12v or "stripe". Then see if the actual stripe is at that end of the connector or not. Using that knowledge, follow the ribbon to the other end and you should be able to tell which end of that connector needs to go to -12. Whether it's the stripe or not depends on whether the stripe was at the -12 end on the module or not.

Next, if using a keyed power distribution system like uZeus, see if the key on the connector (little tab sticking out) is going to mate with the little slot in the side of the keyed header and still connect the -12 to the stripe or -12 indicator on that power distribution. If not, then the cable was not made correctly to be used with a keyed header and should not be plugged in.


thanks for the reply but I'm not talking about the pins, I'm talking about connecting the 10 to 16 pin adapter to the uZEUS, am i correct in thinking that at the top of the uZeus where it says +5v it means thats how much power is getting sent through the top connection on the rear of the module?
qu.one
benephilia wrote:
thanks for the reply but I'm not talking about the pins, I'm talking about connecting the 10 to 16 pin adapter to the uZEUS, am i correct in thinking that at the top of the uZeus where it says +5v it means thats how much power is getting sent through the top connection on the rear of the module?


the LEDs on the panel of the module are just visual indicators that power is indeed being supplied at those voltages.

I have no idea what 10 to 16 pin adapter you are referring to. from a particular module?
daverj
The three LEDs on the front of the uZeus indicate if those three voltages are working or not. If they are all on everything is fine. If one of them is out or blinking then something is wrong. All three of those voltages go out all of the connectors on the back of the uZeus. Each of those 16 pin male connectors carries +12v, -12v, and +5v, as well as ground.

If you are talking about a 10 pin to 16 pin ribbon cable that came with one of your modules, the 10 pin end of those always connects to the module and the 16 pin end connects to a distribution board or flying bus. The ribbon is part of the module. When you remove or move a module you keep it's ribbon cable connected to the module and you plug/unplug the 16 pin end to/from the power distribution board. Consider the ribbon and the module as one object and keep them together.

You do not connect modules directly to the back of a uZeus. The connectors on the back of a uZeus are connected to "flying bus boards". Those are special ribbon cables that have a pair of female 16 pin ribbon connectors on them and a set of male ribbon connectors. The cable from your modules connects to those flying bus boards, not directly to the uZeus. (using the cautions I outlined in that previous post about keyed headers)
AudioFetish
Think you may need to do some more research, use the advanced search feature. Go on its fun

To get you started, no an output is not a vca.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group