MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volta, Sh-101 and initial setup concerning cables
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Volta, Sh-101 and initial setup concerning cables
bwandice
So ive recently gotten my hands upon a roland sh-101 vintage synth and im looking to use it through Volta. On the synth are CV/Gate 1/8 inch inputs and outputs, along with the 1/4 inch output.

Im also using MOTU's ultralite mk3, and apparently i need a TS to TRS cable (floating). Now im not too sure what exactly TRS or TS mean (other than what they stand for), so my question is, what kind of cable do i need, where am i plugging what into what will the TRS be plugging into the synth's output, or will the TS end be plugging into the CV/Gate in or out?

im pretty new with this so i hope this question does not make me sound incapable.

Also most TS to TRS cables are 1/4 inch, and my synth has 1/8 inch CV/Gate inputs/outputs, and it seems pretty hard to find an insert cable with 1/8 inch on the TRS side, would a simple 1/4 to 1/8 converter do the trick?
doctorvague
This is TRS:

TS is a standard guitar cable end.

Since it sounds from your post you're not leaning toward DIY, I'd recommend you buying a 'stereo' or 'balanced' cable - one with TRS at both ends. Just make sure it has connectors you can unscrew and don't buy a plastic-molded-end one. Then on either end of that cable clip the ring wire. You have to kind of look at it but it's pretty easy to tell. Usually the most center one will be the tip and the ground ('sleeve') is the longest one. You might want to clip away 1/8" or so, and/or use a little tape so there's no chance of anything shorting out later.
Then just use one of these:

Ultaralite oiutput > TRS cable > adapter > Gate in of synth -or CV in depending on how your outputs are set up in Volta and what you're trying to do.

There are other ways - if you have a standard insert cable lying around, that can be used without modification. Just ask if you need help with that.

have fun
Phil
bwandice
Yes I have ordered a couple insert cables. 2 Hosa STP201 to be specific. Now im not sure weather they are floating or not, would these cables require me to only 'half insert' the cable in to the interface to make it 'floating'?

So i guess the setup should be TRS side of the cable from ultralite output to the 2 1/8'' adapters (one for each TS cable) into the CV and Gate inputs on the 101. Because I havnt gotten the insert cables in the mail yet and havnt gotten to mess around with volta, I kind of thought both the CV and Gate inputs on the synth would be used, why would it be one or the other?
doctorvague
bwandice wrote:
Yes I have ordered a couple insert cables. 2 Hosa STP201 to be specific. Now im not sure weather they are floating or not, would these cables require me to only 'half insert' the cable in to the interface to make it 'floating'?

No. Read my post again and do exactly what it says.

bwandice wrote:
So i guess the setup should be TRS side of the cable from ultralite output to the 2 1/8'' adapters (one for each TS cable) into the CV and Gate inputs on the 101. Because I havnt gotten the insert cables in the mail yet and havnt gotten to mess around with volta, I kind of thought both the CV and Gate inputs on the synth would be used, why would it be one or the other?

Semantics. I meant on any given output it either goes to Gate or CV. Whether you use both (more common) or either one is up to you and what you're trying to do.
bwandice
doctorvague wrote:

Ultaralite oiutput > TRS cable > adapter > Gate in of synth -or CV in depending on how your outputs are set up in Volta and what you're trying to do.

There are other ways - if you have a standard insert cable lying around, that can be used without modification. Just ask if you need help with that.

have fun
Phil

so with these standard insert cables, just plug and play?

I guess the 2 TS cables leading to the TRS end make it balanced, which is what i would assume volta and the interface would need in order to send/receive voltage signals.
doctorvague
bwandice wrote:
doctorvague wrote:

have fun
Phil

so with these standard insert cables, just plug and play?

I guess the 2 TS cables leading to the TRS end make it balanced, which is what i would assume volta and the interface would need in order to send/receive voltage signals.

The TS end that connects to the Tip of TRS is the one you will use. The other that connects to the ring will be an inverse voltage of the tip. Just make sure the dangling end plug of the ring wire doesn't short out to ground or anything else if you're not using for other purposes (which you can). I would tape it off myself where it can't short out to anything.

I suggest you read up on Volta on MOTU's site so you can get a better understanding of how it works. There's also a sticky to a blog at the top of this page with some videos from the developer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1