MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BEMI Music Easel: Midi and EG info
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author BEMI Music Easel: Midi and EG info
vgermuse
Dear friends,

This just in from Jeff Vallier, Director of Engineering at BEMI:

Quote:

We just added some new MIDI functionality to the Easel! In addition to the expected note on/offs, there is Aftertouch on Channel 1 which routes to the Pressure output on the 218. Most exciting is support for MIDI clock/sync messages, which will route to the Pulse output at the standard 24ppqn, or if the arpeggiator is enabled will clock that. Should be fun smile

Also, note that the Easel sports a new self-trigger mode on the Envelope Generator...

regards,

Jeff
Slabwax
Todd, thanks for the update.
stega
Nice!
fredguy
My sundial reads high noon. w00t
analogueheart
pretty exciting.
Oxix52
Awesome! Thanks! applause

Any word on division of that midi clock, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc?
alka
So happy to hear that the easel will sync to MIDI clock!! Thank you for the update.
alka
Oxix52 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks! applause

Any word on division of that midi clock, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc?

Assuming 4/4 time, 24 ppqn (24 pulses per quarter note) equals 96 beats per measure... but I'm not quite sure that answers your question...
dan_p
The envelope self trigger will be a great addition to the 208.
cger
Nice to hear some updates.
Kevin VC
This is all very exciting! It's peanut butter jelly time!
sascha.victoria
vgermuse wrote:
Dear friends,

This just in from Jeff Vallier, Director of Engineering at BEMI:

Quote:

We just added some new MIDI functionality to the Easel! In addition to the expected note on/offs, there is Aftertouch on Channel 1 which routes to the Pressure output on the 218. Most exciting is support for MIDI clock/sync messages, which will route to the Pulse output at the standard 24ppqn, or if the arpeggiator is enabled will clock that. Should be fun smile

Also, note that the Easel sports a new self-trigger mode on the Envelope Generator...

regards,

Jeff

Do most MIDI keyboards even transmit after touch? For some reason I'm recalling an interview with Dave Smith where he mentioned how this was rare but I could be wrong.
klontart
Yes, most do. What you remember is most likely Poly aftertouch. That is rarely supported indeed.
wrave
hmmm..... I tried out syncing a midi clock to my easel last night and it did not work. Or at least, I don't think it worked. My setup involved...

- reaper: running a basic loop at 120bpm
- a saffire pro 14: acting as the audio interface
- a midi cable: doin' its thing. I think.
- a music easel built in December 2014. According to Todd's video from early 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLDVHgQrOxw the firmware update should have been available by now.

I'm more used to working with a DAWs where everything lives and midi never escapes the software running inside. Syncing midi clocks feels like a moonshot, or communicating with alien lifeforms. So I bet i did something wrong.

Related? My keys act funny. https://vine.co/v/OTFnqLuqd9j[/list]
bcomnes
I wouldn't say that BEMI makes this process obvious. Where's the how to documentation? MIDI clock sequenced pulser would be the cat's meow!
olesandström
so is this firmware update out? haven't heard of it....
wrave
Oxix52's easel is doing it, so obviously it's out. and mine was built after his, so either it's capable, and I'm doing something wrong or it's messed up.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112349
synthi
mine is november 14 and MIDI clock syncs the arp, also I can play the notes, BUT never tried the midiclock to pulse out or aftertouch to pressure out...
I`m not at the studio so I can´t check now, are tose features already implemented????
synthi
wrave wrote:
hmmm..... I tried out syncing a midi clock to my easel last night and it did not work. Or at least, I don't think it worked. My setup involved...

- reaper: running a basic loop at 120bpm
- a saffire pro 14: acting as the audio interface
- a midi cable: doin' its thing. I think.
- a music easel built in December 2014. According to Todd's video from early 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLDVHgQrOxw the firmware update should have been available by now.

I'm more used to working with a DAWs where everything lives and midi never escapes the software running inside. Syncing midi clocks feels like a moonshot, or communicating with alien lifeforms. So I bet i did something wrong.

Related? My keys act funny. https://vine.co/v/OTFnqLuqd9j[/list]

Do you have other DAW?? I remember reading about some problems with Reapeer sending MIDI clock... Or could be something need to be set for reaper to send it...
synthi
synthi wrote:
mine is november 14 and MIDI clock syncs the arp, also I can play the notes, BUT never tried the midiclock to pulse out or aftertouch to pressure out...
I`m not at the studio so I can´t check now, are tose features already implemented????

Tried yesterday:

YES! there is a pressure output from MIDI aftertouch, but only works when there is also a note on, so is good for adding expression to keys but don´t work as an "independent" source of MIDI-CV.

MIDI clock sync the arp but can´t (Or I can´t figure how to do it) output pulses.

Also tried the sustain pedal to hold arps and is not working :(

Can anyone check their easel with MIDI too?
anto32
Hi,

I will try this soon, but as i don't have a midi socket right now, i've to setup it.

is it right, your midi input is plugged to J8?

and what about the clock message from the power board - pin8 - ?

is the pulse transmitted via midi cable? Got a 218e Rev1. still have to check wich firmware...
i will give a feedback asap. best thing, would be to get the manual, with specs etc
synthi
Anto, whats J8???
And I don´t know whats is that pin8 from powered board, do you mean the 218?? Where did you get that info?

Thanks!
anto32
well, don't have time to try it yet, and sorry if that was unclear.

at the bottom of 218e there's 2 pins marked J8 midi in, and that's all i got for now, so i just wonder which of the midi pin are supposed to be plug here?

for pin8, it's on the Edac from the distroboard, there's a yellow cable called clock and so that's probably for 200e system, transmitting or receiving a clock message?
synthi
anto, so you have a barebones 218e??? don´t u have the case and the MIDI connector??
About the pin8 on Edac connector, I don´t have any 200e modules so I can´t say, but maybe is an internal clock buss for the "e" system??
anto32
So, i finished my case today, soldered the midi connector pin 4 and 5 to a molex, and it works,
Just have to test the clock/Arp sync,

Maybe someone knows how to change channel for midi in?

[img][/img]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2