MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge rack ear options
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Serge rack ear options
jsicp
Can anyone suggest a place to get affordable rack ears for Serge shop panels?
Thanks in advance.
komputerbrown
From another thread:

Just contact Takachi Electronics.

Email:overseas@takachi-el.co.jp

The item number is: M-177s

jsicp
Thanks for the link.
Will get in touch with him and see what prices are like.
Would still be open to hearing suggestions for US based manufacturers if anyone has any by any chance.
Thanks!
chinard
this thread is relevant to my interests!

Please let us know what you find out because I need about 3 sets myself
opsysbug
J let me know prices as well. Might grab a few pairs...
Baszline
I have ordered these without any problems. thumbs up Recommended and pretty cheap too (in comparison to $50 a set at Rex wink. They look pretty similar. It seems that the mounting holes to an original Serge boat is a bit different but can't confirm that since I'm using Bud Industries boats for DIY.
MechaSeb
Baszline wrote:
I have ordered these without any problems. thumbs up Recommended and pretty cheap too (in comparison to $50 a set at Rex wink. They look pretty similar. It seems that the mounting holes to an original Serge boat is a bit different but can't confirm that since I'm using Bud Industries boats for DIY.

The mounting holes are indeed differents. You have to re-drill them to completely fit the STS boats. Still it's cheaper than Rex'ones.
There is also the solution to see directly with a metal manufacturing. They can design you exactly what you need and Phisynth provided a schematic with correct measurements somewhere at Muff.
Baszline
jsicp wrote:

Will get in touch with him and see what prices are like.

I've just checked my email and I've paid $10.52 per set (Aug 2012). SlayerBadger!
jsicp
Do you guys think L brackets from Home Depot might work?
jsicp
Just wanted to post an update.
The Japanese ears are still 10.52 a pair.
Four pairs with the cheapest shipping option to NYC is 65 dollars total.
M-177 is definitely the right size for Serge shop panels, right?
Gonna order these this week I think.
Thanks for the tip!
komputerbrown
M-177s (s for silver as opposed to b for black)

right size for 4u, yes (dimensions seen in the table)

not sure about the pre drilled screwholes as i've used them for diy 4u boats (if that's even an issue/if the sts boats without rack ears have pre drilled holes...)
jsicp
Great. Thanks very much!
chinard
FYI, mine just arrived today and they work great.
johnchantler
i ordered some other generic 4U rack ears from ebay but they are too wide! ugh. at least they did not cost very much.

anyone know if the intellijel 4U rack ears will work? (accepting some re-drilling the boat sides)

https://intellijel.com/product/4u-rack-ears-pair/

thanks!
J.
phisynth
I have some I don't use (at least 10 I believe) that I can sell for 12€/pair + shipping. I had these custom made some time ago, and they fit perfectly STS boats. Only thing (compared to the STS ones), they have a small rounded angle instead of a sharp one
phisynth
here's a pic so you can judge the effect :

the top panel (soup I) has original STS ears, the bottom one (swamp) my custom ones
johnchantler
Hey Phisynth — Sent you a PM.
johnchantler
I ordered the intellijel rack ears — they work great. i had to re-drill the boats to fit the holes as expected but otherwise all is good. not sure how they might match STS boats ( i don't have any ). Will upload a picture when i've got the rest of the case elements sorted!
johnchantler
Intellijel rack ears in situ...

B-ry
I’ve used 1” x 1” x 1/8”T aluminum stock angle from the big box stores. Cut down, drilled and sanded. They work great. Nice thing is that you can custom fit them if you have different boats throughout your system. As you can see in the third pic I have some panels that will join my system and need to be mounted. The darker brackets are mine, the lighter ones are from STS. The difference is that the STS brackets are produced well using proper machinery then they’re tumbled and anodized. Mine are made well but I use more basic machinery as that’s what I’m limited to. I finish them by r/o sanding which gives a nice, soft, consistent surface.I am about to produce a run of brackets. If anyone is interested I can produce a few extra sets. $20 + shipping and PayPal fees..

diophantine
Any better options these days?

Looks like ModularAddict now stocks the R*S ears, but they are still ~$45 per pair.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Intellijel 4U ears (successfully used in a previous post in this thread) for some DIY stuff I've done that doesn't deserve $45 rack ears.

B-ry wrote:
I’ve used 1” x 1” x 1/8”T aluminum stock angle from the big box stores. Cut down, drilled and sanded.

What did you use to cut these? They turned out nice. That never happens for me, except a few times a year when I manage to cut a beautiful sheet of aluminum foil for left-overs.
the bad producer
I still get the takahachi ones, still very cheap inc postage. I did contact a place here in the uk who said they could make them for £20 a pop, but I've not followed up yet as minimum order is 20 sets
dksynth
I've used the intellijel 4U rack ears.

they are perfect and more like 10$
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1