MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Might have my first club gig tomorrow
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Might have my first club gig tomorrow
John Noble
Only one way to know if I'm ready. eek!

My Euro rig has been packed up since I jammed at a friend's house the the other night. Must be a sign.

rock on SlayerBadger!
HueMonContact
Congrats! get video of your set if you can
John Noble
Thanks, guys! The gig is on for 9:00PM tonight. I'm an emergency fill-in, so this was a surprise and I'm not prepared. hmmm.....

I'm all-modular (240hp of Eurorack ~= "9U" plus 2 delay pedals and a reverb pedal), and I have an hour to fill by myself. "Atonal" won't get it done on this gig, either. That seems a lot more intimidating than my usual half hour target! The good news is that I'm going on early and there won't be many people there. Wait, that's the bad news, small audiences are really awkward. d'oh!

The lesson: practice more, you never know when something will come up!
Just me
You WILL be fine.
Jaspo
You certainly have enough talent to pull it off. Good luck and hopefully you will have some audio/video for us.
Stevism
goodluck!!
John Noble
You guys are awesome, thanks so much for the support. Hug

An hour long wiggle this afternoon was a good confidence builder--it didn't entirely suck! Then I had to figure out the gear & cable situation .... and that went well enough that I re-installed my CV to DMX lighting controller and showed my wife how to run it for max blinkenlights on the LED light bar. hyper
raisinbag
Cool kick (tweak) some butt (knobs). Hey can you record it? Would love to hear and you will be happy you did down the road.
Iromeku
It would be great to see a vid of this.
JohnLRice
Have a great gig! screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!
John Noble
OK, back.

Thanks again, everyone!

I learned a valuable lesson: the importance of good monitoring cannot be overstated. I am fortunate that I performed a lot when I was a kid in various bands, because this could have been a traumatic gig if I hadn't had some experience to fall back on. help

I had about 45 minutes to prepare before the doors opened, and I came out of that time with a pretty good patch and plan based on my earlier rehearsal at home. I started out with a slow rhythmic drone, then I realized 8 minutes in that I should liven things up a bit because the vibe was a little wrong and introduced the next pair of voices ... the lead part of which totally failed to do what it did in my pre-patching, and I was unable to fix it despite struggling mightily for a full 20 minutes. The main issue was that I couldn't hear well enough to know what the hell was going on--the bass overpowered everything, and the side fill monitor had some serious issues. Rage!

BUT: I learned back in the misty past that the trick is to always keep smiling and act as though the instrument is doing what it's supposed to be doing. No one will know the difference with original music (or even Happy Birthday!) unless you tell them. I wanted to hide under a rock, of course, and was feeling a lot of remorse for inflicting such crap on my defenseless audience.

I finally abandoned the Good Ship Blippy Sawtooth Lead at about 28:00 and cranked the frequency on what was supposed to be the quirky triangle bass to bring it into lead bongo territory. This saved the patch as it quickly developed into a funky jungle beat for the next 15 minutes that I finished with a thundering whuup-whuup-whuup reverse of the kick drum. I only stopped because my time was up--I could have easily gone on for another 10-15 minutes.

I had a lot of fun and people were really worked up about the modular. Next time I will make sure I can hear what I'm doing! It was really my fault for not getting the sound guy's attention--it turns out the side fill on the other side of the stage, which wasn't on for my set, was really good and loud.

Here's the whole thing, please ignore from 8:00 to 28:00. d'oh!

Keep in mind this was "mixed" on a booming club system: the joint was shaking, though it sounds a little light in the bass in this recording. (Edit: actually, it sounds more bassy than I thought at first. It sounded much more bottom-heavy with the PA.)

http://eurorackdb.com/kava_lounge_live_set_29_aug_2013.mp3

Edit: Kava Lounge management was terrific, they made the oddball with the modular feel right at home. We are going to have a very nice show on October 27th.
zdarma
nice mellow set!
climbingtyler
That's wicked man! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! we're not worthy

So your entire set was done on a modular? Very impressive!
How did the people react to your set? Did they enjoy it?
John Noble
zdarma wrote:
nice mellow set!

climbingtyler wrote:
That's wicked man! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! we're not worthy

Thanks! Chugging Beers

climbingtyler wrote:
So your entire set was done on a modular? Very impressive!

Yes, I'm all-modular. The rig I used last night looks like this:

The blank space at the bottom contains a TC Electronics Flashback Delay pedal, a TC Hall of Fame Reverb pedal, and a DIY 4hp dual pedal interface/mult. The middle row has 97hp in my 96hp case! The module on the far right of the middle row is a DIY external device interface; last night it had my CV to DMX lighting controller (external box) plugged into it, and my wife used that to control the blinkenlights coming from a half meter long RGB LED light bar directed at the back of my case.

Quote:
How did the people react to your set? Did they enjoy it?

The other performers (a mix of DJ/producers and a singer/guitarist with an electronic rig) were very positive. The civilian crowd, numbering 10-15 at that early hour, was polite. No one walked out!

This jam from last Saturday was more what I had in mind, for reference--I was playing it safe last night and tried to head the same direction. I used the same module lineup and had the same amount of setup time behind this patch, though I was using an outboard mixer and a second delay pedal (TC Nova Delay):

[s]http://www.soundcloud.com/prettyhowtown/muffwiggler-radio-live-jam- 24[/s]
climbingtyler
Thats awesome!

I would have no idea how to do a set with just a modular.
I got myself a eurorack about a week ago (my first hardware synth!) and I love it.

Is all of your music raw recordings of the modular? I record my small system into ableton and edit arrange everything in there.

Also how do you go about getting gigs? Ive never done any (i don't think I'm ready for that yet) but I'd like to know where to start.

Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks
Tyler
climbingtyler
Really digging the intro on this second mix/set BTW!
John Noble
climbingtyler wrote:
Is all of your music raw recordings of the modular? I record my small system into ableton and edit arrange everything in there.

Yes, everything I've recorded is what came out of the modular plus effects in real time. I don't edit, use MIDI, keyboards, samplers/beatboxes, or computers. For whatever reason, I just don't get along with that stuff. That may change soon when Korg finally gets their Volca series to the US market. smile

Quote:
Also how do you go about getting gigs? Ive never done any (i don't think I'm ready for that yet) but I'd like to know where to start.

I'm wondering the same thing! This one came about in the course of email discussions about FULLY PATCHED • SAN DIEGO with the venue owner. She had a show fall through and needed emergency fill-ins. I was game, though I would have liked more than one day's warning.

I guess it's a matter of getting out and meeting people. I had some business cards printed at Staples a while back, and I hand out more than I expected. I keep meeting really amazingly talented people.

Quote:
Sorry for all the questions.

Not at all! I hope my newbie experiences are worth something. Mr. Green
climbingtyler
John Noble wrote:

Not at all! I hope my newbie experiences are worth something. Mr. Green

I'm definitely more of a noob than you! I've only had my system for a week. Everything I've done up until now has been done purely inside of ableton/reason. I'm still doing the same thing, but now I record my modular into the mix as well.
dogoftears
On monitoring:
I have played over a dozen gigs in the past 9 months or so and out of all of them, only ONE had proper, stereo monitoring that i could hear-- this was of course my party that I threw in the desert.

Now it might be because I'm one of the only psytrance acts that actually plays live, but damn, I can't believe this. I am now including it in my artist rider, that there MUST be proper STEREO monitoring with adjustable levels at my fingertips or I won't play. It's just gotten too annoying to use guess work listening from behind the main sound system, and it's also incredibly annoying watching everyone having a good time but being unable to really enjoy the music properly myself! Add to that that I use the CL Tetrax in my live sets-- this thing is REALLY hard to use right if you only have mono monitoring, since it hard pans left and right based on piezo pressure and release. And then of course a lot of my leads and hi hats pan left to right on a per-step basis... so if it's only mono-monitoring in the booth, it sounds like the mids and highs are cutting in and out on 1/8th notes!!

When I complain about this to other people, especially DJs, they look at me funny and wonder what the big deal is. Oh well.

Rant over. Now i will check out yr live set w00t
austinedward08
dogoftears wrote:
When I complain about this to other people, especially DJs, they look at me funny and wonder what the big deal is. Oh well.

Rant over. Now i will check out yr live set w00t

haha I wouldn't expect a dj to understand. I can say this because I dj'd before I bought some real musical equipment & started making dance music.
John Noble
I will bring my own monitor next time and control my own destiny.

Headphones were totally useless for making any serious decisions.
meatbeatz
Nice one John! thumbs up

I'm about to take the plunge myself so I can appreciate the balls required to hold a stage with a modular alone. Congrats!
climbingtyler
I went and checked out your stuff on soundcloud. You have some amazing stuff man! thumbs up

I cant believe that all of it is un-edited recordings of your modular! I cant even make songs that good when i have complete control of the arrangement in Ableton.

Keep at it man! SlayerBadger!
hpsounds
@ John Noble Wow! Lotsa Love thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2