MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Who still loves the OTO Biscuit?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Who still loves the OTO Biscuit?
Shipatsea
I've had mine for about 6months and still love it. I tend to use it sparingly and lightly blended in but curious if any of you who have had it for a while longer are still getting a lot of use out of it.
Pase
I have bought it one year and three months ago.
I strongly use it, I still love it, it's a great effects box.
REwire
I just let mine go. I got tired of it as there was no way to turn off the bit crushing to just get at the filters. You have to have all the keys white at least to get the cleanest sound but there was a buzzy lo-fi sound always there. Der OTO added some fun but, meh.

Dan
Shipatsea
I have yet to mess with the Der OTO yet but I have my Biscuit in the effects chain on my mixer so I can blend it into whatever.
TestSetRadio
i still use mine every time i play live, but yeah i wish the he would make the filter standalone. i tend way under-utilize all the bells and whistles on that thing because i have had mine freeze up on me a few times. the OTO forums has threads showing people having similar issues, but no good way to fix/diagnose it. especially live, i'd rather not rely on any of the brain functions if it's gonna seize the thing up. those filters tho SlayerBadger!
spitznagl
REwire wrote:
I just let mine go. I got tired of it as there was no way to turn off the bit crushing to just get at the filters.

Denis did modify a couple of units at first to allow using the filter alone. I think he had to manually drill traces on the PCB to add a switch. After a while, he decided that it was too much trouble for the extra money he was asking. I missed the boat by a less than a month. very frustrating
TestSetRadio
i would just like to see the filter as a standalone unit. stereo in/out, maybe with the step sequencer. i'm sure with that code he could include some LFO/random stuff to control the cutoff/q and it would be a total beast. i'm a bit of a filter slut and it's one of my all-time favs.
Funky40
LOVE my one !
had times it was unused over month, have month the OTO is used all the time
..........was in repair.....software was fucked up......so i got used to to not use it hihi ...now i´m back to my Biscuit lol

REwire wrote:
I just let mine go. I got tired of it as there was no way to turn off the bit crushing to just get at the filters. You have to have all the keys white at least to get the cleanest sound but there was a buzzy lo-fi sound always there. Der OTO added some fun but, meh.

Dan

i understand you, absolutely. but to some degree i disagree:
indeed is one ( ..me ) getting nearly all the time a slightly distorted or lets say unclean signal out.
but: if one takes really care to the input level it can be patched nearly clean.
possibly it would be a good idea to compress the signal forehand of the OTO....not tryed yet
finally its true: OTO is more for crunchy unclean music...... "Biscuit" is programm hihi lol

input stage needs refinement imho as it is picky and wants to see a certain inputlevel,
on the other side distorting the signal not much above that .........something like that.
+1 on the filter: superb choice !
+1 on all the keys white nearly all the time, but can be fun to jam with the keys rhythmically ( kinda a Geiger counter )
i have my unit in the masterinsert of my submixer for the MPCs and octatrack, then the comp. should change

btw. i wish me a second Biscuit lol...and i´m not that really into crunched down crappy shit wink lol
edit: ok, i am into crunched down crappy shit of a music oops oops....me too, i make plain crap hihi
Kaput
I've found so many uses for mine... I still love it. I guess I've had it for 3 or so years now. Quite often, I blend in subtle amounts for texture, rather than full-on bitcrushing madness.

I gather that Denis' original prototype idea was to create something similar to the D/A of a series II Fairlight? With all bits on and blended in a little, you get a very similar sound.
tron23
Did not have a clue about this series II Fairlight DA thing and the sound similarity ? Very interesting, could you post some example with the biscuit subtly blended in for a taste? Guinness ftw!
SPIKE the Percussionist
use mine from time to time.

i have to always refer to the manual though for all the extra features.

lot's of multi function button.
LeFreq
I do! I really like the delay and the waveshaping is sometimes excellent. I rarely use it as a bitcrusher, because I don't really like them... but if I need one - it's obviously the best in my arsenal.

I've done some awesome sound design with it as well... there's a lot of cool tricks up it's sleeve.
LeFreq
I do! I really like the delay and the waveshaping is sometimes excellent. I rarely use it as a bitcrusher, because I don't really like them... but if I need one - it's obviously the best in my arsenal.

I've done some awesome sound design with it as well... there's a lot of cool tricks up it's sleeve.
Kaput
tron23 wrote:
Did not have a clue about this series II Fairlight DA thing and the sound similarity ? Very interesting, could you post some example with the biscuit subtly blended in for a taste? Guinness ftw!

It's interesting - CDM ran an interview with Denis, where he mentions about the Fairlight. The idea was expanded and it turned into the Biscuit we have now (which does a lot of stuff).

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/02/oto-machines-biscuit-8-bit-analo g-filter-effect-designing-new-hardware/
radar24
I love my biscuit
I've been using it about 6 months
this is done on the day I've got my biscuit
Biscuit is all over the place on this track because it was my first day
with it 8_)

[s]http://snd.sc/19YiDc2[/s]
blungo2
I still love mine although i haven't used it in a while. I did have the freeze up thing happen once, but i rebooted it and it was fine.

I'm thinking of hooking the biscuit up to a stereo bus on my board so i can lightly crush stuff going to tape. I'm thinking it might work really well on drum OHs.
Funky40
my Biscuit is broke again angry cry angry

firts it was broke, i thought i had to ship it back to thomann,
then it was running again some days with minor flaws ( freezup, just had to reboot)
now again broke.
it still sounds but the buttons function is fucked up.
somethiong seems wrong with the Biscuit, mine seems even wronger.....
last time it took several weeks or a few months to get it back from repair......
now is winterseason, i make NOW music...use the biscuit all the time with the mpc
fuck
Luap
^ Reflash the firmware? Mine was a bit glitchy (not in a good way) when I first got it. A reflash fixed it.
brent
Still enjoy mine, though I can't say it is used a lot. It kind of sounds like the developer is moving on to something else, but a firmware update to turn it into a drum machine would be amazing (I really have no idea whether the hardware would support it).
unklekarma
HAd mine for a year and used it very little. Not good for live or improvisation. And as other mentioned - no direct access to filters all the time.
Funky40
Luap wrote:
^ Reflash the firmware? Mine was a bit glitchy (not in a good way) when I first got it. A reflash fixed it.

good idea !

found this on OTOs page
Quote:
RESET PROCEDURE
Biscuit keeps your last settings in memory in a special preset called Preset 0.
This preset is loaded everytime you turn on Biscuit.
In some cases this memory can become corrupt and block Biscuit on startup or lead to erratic behaviour.
To reset this preset 0, please use the following procedure:
- Switch off Biscuit,
- Press BYPASS and BRAIN switches simultaneously,
- Switch on Biscuit while keeping these 2 switches depressed.
This procedure will not erase your user presets.

seems to work .......
Great Tip !! ......i was not aware of.

thumbs up thumbs up
Funky40
Quote:
RESET PROCEDURE
Biscuit keeps your last settings in memory in a special preset called Preset 0.
This preset is loaded everytime you turn on Biscuit.
In some cases this memory can become corrupt and block Biscuit on startup or lead to erratic behaviour.
To reset this preset 0, please use the following procedure:
- Switch off Biscuit,
- Press BYPASS and BRAIN switches simultaneously,
- Switch on Biscuit while keeping these 2 switches depressed.
This procedure will not erase your user presets.

necessary to know that !
had to do it again........
still love my biscuit, ...... you don´t like yours ? i´m again in surch for a second unit wink
grillo
I use it sparely. Now i hooked it to my soundcard so i'm sending tracks out and back in. On some sounds it kind of mushes it too much, but i love the crush + filter combo.

I'm experimenting with midi control for making fx and various breakdown buildups, kinda cool.
Pase
Absolutely love my biscuit
The Chewbacca Defense nanners It's motherfucking bacon yo Bananallama! Om
TestSetRadio
I need to set up a little midi setup with a small controller for using the multi-effects more smoothly live. I can never remember which is what, and the switching is confusing when it is in poor lighting.

i'd kill to have the filter in it's own box. I know the guy from OTO says that it's specifically designed to work with the crushing circuit, but i'd use it more often if it was in a little standalone unit.

I've never used the monosynth at all, whats the verdict? it seems like it could do some fun stuff, maybe i need to set up some midi stuff to get it firing off my ms20 mini too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2