MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TENORI-ON users! NEW Video here with a Prophet 08
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author TENORI-ON users! NEW Video here with a Prophet 08
ritchiedrums
There is a link to a newer video at the end of this thread

Just fooling around,
but I think the layout of this thing is confusing me hmmm.....

In this video everything is sending MIDI channel 1.

Maybe I am not understanding BLOCKS vs LAYERS.

It sounds cool with the Prophet 08 Anyway!!!

rekem1000
Use button R5 to change layer, the bottom row is midi channel 1 - top row channel 16, hold R5 to select the desired row/midi channel, a new sequence can be plotted in the selected row which will come out of the corresponding midi channel.
rekem1000
Sorry R1 not R5.
ritchiedrums
d'oh! That is correct!
The Prophet 08 was accepting ALL MIDI Channels!!!! very frustrating
Thanx!! Guinness ftw!
Paranormal Patroler
I've got two of those. It is really easy to navigate and works like a charm for the modular. They went through hell on a 24hour show for a big theatrical production, I got hundreds of people coming to take a photograph of the ligthshow (modular, TO's etc).

One of my favorite machines. Any question you want to ask go ahead, I'm proud to boast that I'm an expert in all things Tenori On. Τoo bad the assholes closed the TO forum, it was a ghost town there and the few of us that remained had some fun. Anyway, don't hesitate to PM me.
ritchiedrums
Is it worth updating to 2.1
Maybe WE can get the Facebook Tenori-On group going again...
Guinness ftw!
Paranormal Patroler
Definitely worth it, don't hesitate for a second. Also you should upgrade and then unlock Advanced Mode. 8_)
Luap
I was on the Tenori-on forum for a while too. But it was a constant spam fest, and evidently Keyfax/Yamaha couldn't really be arsed to look after it, so perhaps just as well it got closed.

I've had my Tenori-on for a while now. Im always surprised that they get relatively little mentions on electro music type forums such as this.
I still like mine lots, despite the quirks.
The only fly in the ointment being the iOS version is functionally just as good, if not better! Naturally though, the original hardware version does at least look very cool though. It's like an instrument from some alien world.
Surely a future classic 8_)
Paranormal Patroler
Luap wrote:
I was on the Tenori-on forum for a while too. But it was a constant spam fest, and evidently Keyfax/Yamaha couldn't really be arsed to look after it, so perhaps just as well it got closed.

Nope, it kinda sucks 'cause there were few of us that still used it to communicate, answer questions, come up with ideas, and piss off Yamaha for not making any updates. I'm bummed it's not available. Spam was aplenty but I'd be happy to get moderator responsibilities and get things cleared up, I took the time to report each and every spam violation, it wouldn't be much for one person to handle.

I'd like to see how users will handle they're questions now with no dedicated place to answer them.
flx
The thing that I wish my hardware Tenori-On had, which is in the iPad app, is a L/R button-hold mode so I could switch patterns more quickly. I also frequently overwrite patterns when I just want to switch them (I know copy/paste only works in the lowest row, but I still keep on pressing there when switching patterns). Nevertheless, the Tenori is still my main sequencer for my modular and 303 clone. My MIDI patch bay filters out all of the SysEx messages, by the way, because those can cause trouble with some interfaces (e.g. Tinysizer, Slim Phatty).
Paranormal Patroler
Which patch bay do you use?
flx
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Which patch bay do you use?

The Roland A-880. The Doepfer Dark Link MIDI-CV interface also works well directly with the Tenori-On.
Luap
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

Nope, it kinda sucks 'cause there were few of us that still used it to communicate, answer questions, come up with ideas, and piss off Yamaha for not making any updates. I'm bummed it's not available. Spam was aplenty but I'd be happy to get moderator responsibilities and get things cleared up, I took the time to report each and every spam violation, it wouldn't be much for one person to handle.

I'd like to see how users will handle they're questions now with no dedicated place to answer them.

Nope? Seriously? It was one of the more piss useless forums i've ever had the misfortune of wasting time on.. No one looked after it (so no one read your spam reports). THAT sucked. Just like wading through 16+ pages of patio heater spam to try and get to some useful snippet of info sucked. And it had been festering away like that for the past couple of years at least. That sucked too.
And you nor anyone else pissed off Yamaha because it's evident they took zero interest in the place. Which also sucked..

Lots of products manage fine without a dedicated forum. The Tenori-on will too. Especially now that its been around a few years and we have places like Muffs thumbs up
Paranormal Patroler
Lots of good information lost. Especially regarding Remote Mode and MIDI implementation. You won't find that in Muffs or elsewhere. And I did like patio heaters, so there. twisted

ps: Now we're definitely not getting heard by Yamaha.
jonah
I love TNR-i and bounce mode for MIDI. For some reason I thought each layer was channelized?

I lost my camera connection kit, and I'm waiting until iconnectMIDI 4+ is out, but I had it plugged into the MPC all the time and used the qlinks to play velocity.
ritchiedrums
LETS START A TENORI-ON/TR-i GROUP HERE!!!

It's motherfucking bacon yo thumbs up It's motherfucking bacon yo

How can we get this set up???

I want SOUNDS!! Guinness ftw!
flx
ritchiedrums wrote:

I don't know, but the Tenori's sounds somehow never really caught my attention and I couldn't be bothered to load my own samples on it. I only use it as a MIDI sequencer and even disabled its sounds in the menu. sad banana Maybe I have to take a second look at that "sound feature"? hmmm.....
igormpc

thumbs up
Paranormal Patroler
As I said, used the internal sounds of two TO for ambient works on a stage show. Works miracles if done right. Most of them are pretty boring stuff but we have our modular systems for "proper" sounds. Ever tried tuning your modulars oscillators to the TO and then mix them with the TO's sounds? They work nicely as background and enhance the foreground timbres. Sampling is easy to do but limited on the hardware. Still great if you do some clever stuff, I've even done pseudo-granular things on it; if you guys are interested I can upload a track of that tomorrow.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the TO is really an underrated machine. Yamaha had something powerful on its hands and let it go, if only they'd fix a bug or two. I'm up for a TO users group thread here, tons of experience to share and eager to see what you come up with.
ritchiedrums
So how do we get this TO group going?? seriously, i just don't get it
ersatzplanet
Another thing that the first time Tenori-On user should do is put the unit in Advanced Mode. You do this by turning it on while holding the L1 and L5 buttons. This allows you to map whatever mode you want to whatever track. I have removed all the Random and Bounce modes from mine and turned them either into Score or Draw modes. Draw mode can be used to play melodies with controllable note lengths etc - just play them like you want to hear it play back.

What I wish was out there was a program that would allow auditioning a user sound set before loading it into the TO. The program they give allows toy to make a sound set but not listen to ones you have in your library. Since it takes an insane amount of time to load a sound set from the SD card, I would love a simple player.

I would also love a way to get the unit to stop sending all the Sysex/Program change commands and other stuff when you change songs and some other functions. I had to plug it into a different channel of my MIDI switcher cause it caused the switcher to change channels and made all the programs change on connected MIDI synths sometimes. Now I run a bank of MIDI>CV converters and they are pretty dumb when it comes to odd MIDI commands so it is cool now.

Also a warning to new users to Tenori-On - The MIDI cable is easy to break. It will sometimes break where it flexes at the base of the connector. You can get a replacement from Keyfax but they are not cheap. I have broken the power switch cap off mine too and now have to switch it on with a screwdriver so be careful there too.
sb
Great thread....makes me want to drag my Tenori-on out for a play. Always meant to get one of those midi translator boxes and see if it's possible to squeeze more use out of it as a controller by remapping notes to cc's.
ritchiedrums wrote:
LETS START A TENORI-ON/TR-i GROUP HERE!!!

It's motherfucking bacon yo thumbs up It's motherfucking bacon yo

How can we get this set up???

I took 4 bars of the new daft punk disco and split it into 16 chunks just for fun hihi
I've got a couple of user banks done and a few more in the works (GOTTA do a 8bit set)

I'm all for a tnr group
Paranormal Patroler
sb wrote:
Great thread....makes me want to drag my Tenori-on out for a play. Always meant to get one of those midi translator boxes and see if it's possible to squeeze more use out of it as a controller by remapping notes to cc's.

Works great! You can even assign velocity on another layers' notes, cc and whatnot. It's definitely easier with a MIDI-to-CV converter, since you can patch the Note CV anywhere you want. Definitely worth it for MIDI cc action and especially if you use Random Mode. Highly recommended!
thebrotherspus
This thread is great!!! I LOVE my Tenori-On!
I've wanted to incorporate it with my modular for a while now. So far, all I've done is tempo sync it with the modular which is really fun, but I'd love to go further..... I'm just really dumb when it comes to midi stuff.
I've got a Kenton Modular Solo- any cool ways to use the Tenori-on and modular together with it?
Any help/direction for a noob would be mega helpful!
thumbs up

I love bounce mode!! It gets me into Steve Reich-like phase music in like 2 seconds flat. So good!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2