MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cutting a Cable Snake
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Cutting a Cable Snake
ThatFunnyLookinGuy
Is it possible to cut a cable snake so that all the cables are separate from each other?
cornutt
ThatFunnyLookinGuy wrote:
Is it possible to cut a cable snake so that all the cables are separate from each other?

It's possible, but why on earth do you want to do that?
panda30y
Yes... but it might be a bit messy.
ThatFunnyLookinGuy
cornutt wrote:
ThatFunnyLookinGuy wrote:

It's possible, but why on earth do you want to do that?

I bought the snake thinking I could use it to connect my drum mics, but failed to realize the mics aren't all next to each other. d'oh! Instead of spending more money to buy a bunch of single cables, I want to know if I could just separate the snake and do it that way.
ignatius
you can but you'll lose some of the insulation. the cables in snakes are typically all wrapped in one giant insulating sheath or whatever so when you strip away the outer bit you're left in w/the individual cables minor insulation so it could be a problem depending on how long the cables are and all that stuff.
Pockets McCoy
ignatius wrote:
you can but you'll lose some of the insulation. the cables in snakes are typically all wrapped in one giant insulating sheath or whatever so when you strip away the outer bit you're left in w/the individual cables minor insulation so it could be a problem depending on how long the cables are and all that stuff.

Yep...I cut a snake once for a similar reason, and you do end up with some pretty wuss-ass cables. They're fine for CV's and the like, but I wouldn't put any kind of important audio through them (and that's coming from someone who embraces things like noisy cables and bad equipment, so watch out). Also, be really careful not to cut into any of the cables when you're cutting the sheath off.
DGTom
Just get a bunch of shorter (maybe a longer pair for the overheads) mic cables to hang off the snake = best of both worlds as a kind of poormans stagebox, depending on how long your snake is these cables will be pretty short, always good to have a bunch of mic cables around for when you aren't tracking a full kit as well, leave the multicore in situ. & you still have flexability thumbs up
Kendall Station
I've done this as well, kinda crap cables but good for CVs and such.
drewtoothpaste
The $30 1/4" hosa snakes are fine to cut apart and the cables you pull out of the snake work the same as any other cheap cable.

I wouldn't cut apart one of those expensive XLR snakes though, just buy separate cables!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1