MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Welcome to the Tenori-On Muff page
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Welcome to the Tenori-On Muff page
Paranormal Patroler
Hello and let me welcome you to the Tenori-On part of our lovely forum. It's yet another instrument forsaken by its creators but not by its users. Lots of hidden gems on this one, especially if you intend to use it with your beloved modular as a controller/sequencer. I'll do my best to collect information regarding functionality, MIDI implementation and whatnot since the official Yamaha forum got the boot; tons of information got lost but hopefully not for long. I'll make a list on this post and keep on adding basic information for users and I'd appreciate your contribution.

Enjoy and seed razz

• ADVANCED MODE: Turn on your device while pressing the L1 and L5 buttons. This allows you to chose the MODE of each layer, so for instance you could have 16 bounce layers! Don't forget to save your setting afterwards otherwise you'd have to do it each time.

• UPDATE TO 2.1: I'll make sure to upload the zip file for your convenience as soon as I get back home. The file is still up on the Yamaha site. Do it, it's worth it. The timing issues have not been completely fixed although it supposedly syncs better, but you get a useful Restart button combo, Swing functionality and Remote Mode to be able to control your TO via MIDI. Trust me you can even glitch it to nice effect.

• SD CARD: Some SD cards are not compatible with the TO. If my memory serves me well you should go for SD cards up to 2GB and skip those that are SD HC 'cause they won't work.
Jaspo
Woohoo! Great idea. I will have to dust off the TO this weekend.

I hope all the important posts about Patio Furniture from the official forum weren't lost. wink
Paranormal Patroler
Lots of patio heaters available for everyone hihi
kuxaan-sum
It's too bad they never fixed the timing issue.
It was the main reason I stopped using mine.

I tried to use the TO as my main sequencer (w/ an A-190-1) when I first started my modular.

I love the interface and I was able to get the timing down for changing between blocks/layers but it was not something I could rely on for an entire set.

I then started using it just as a single touch controller for a single voice or modulation source and it was good for that. (Push and solo mode FTW!)

Eager to hear how other people used theirs...
thumbs up
Jaspo
I stopped using mine due to the designers refusing to include an auto advance. A repeat n (1-16) times for each block then advance would be perfect. As long as you have to manually advance to the next block, it makes wiggling a bit difficult.

They insisted it was instrument to be played and not to be automated.
Paranormal Patroler
One idea I had proposed back when Yamaha was still listening was to implement a Sequence Mode. It would be similar to Score Mode visually but it would count lit buttons and repeat the respective layer before moving on. Easy to pull off but ...

Regarding sync, as I said on the OP it supposedly syncs better with the 2.1. Admittedly I've never had issues with my two TO's syncing. Thankfully on the 2.1 firmware by pressing L4 and then R1 you get all loops go back to first step (similar to Restart) which is useful if you see things drifting a bit.

The same functionality is amazingly useful in PUSH MODE. Try this: make a drone on a PUSH layer and then transpose it via the buttons. Nothing happens. Do the above Restart button combo and it gets transposed! Pretty slick.
Jaspo
Submitted for posterity. I found this cached:
Quote:

Author Message: pattymarkety
Post subject: Outdoor patio heater
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:39 pm

To spend more time Outdoors,You need warm your enviroment with a Patio heater to winter season. With Patio heater you can share with your friends Outdoors without speel cold.

Patio heaters can be to the perfect article to decorate your patio, Because It have a beauty model.

If you can remember key words from the titles, you might be able to recover some posts from the official board. Just Google it and select the tiny [cached] button next to the result. I also had to select Display As Text.
ersatzplanet
Jaspo wrote:
I stopped using mine due to the designers refusing to include an auto advance. A repeat n (1-16) times for each block then advance would be perfect. As long as you have to manually advance to the next block, it makes wiggling a bit difficult.

They insisted it was instrument to be played and not to be automated.

Isn't this what Song mode is all about? From the manual:

"Song Files contain all performance operations (note entry, etc.), settings (voice selection, tempo, etc.) and other user operations carried out in all layers and blocks in real time. A recorded Song File can then be loaded in into the TENORI-ON and played back, precisely reproducing LED button and function button operations precisely as they were recorded."

This includes the block selections. You do have to do it in realtime at least once though.
thebrotherspus
This Tenori-On page is great! I hope it gets some decent traffic. There's a lot I hope to learn about implementing the Tenori-On with the modular. w00t
Paranormal Patroler
ersatzplanet wrote:
Isn't this what Song mode is all about? From the manual:

"Song Files contain all performance operations (note entry, etc.), settings (voice selection, tempo, etc.) and other user operations carried out in all layers and blocks in real time. A recorded Song File can then be loaded in into the TENORI-ON and played back, precisely reproducing LED button and function button operations precisely as they were recorded."

This includes the block selections. You do have to do it in realtime at least once though.

The Song function is exactly what you describe, it's just an internal recording of what you do on the TO and the ability to play it back. No edit capabilities or overdubs or anything; not really useful for live applications in my humble opinion. I do agree that being able to chain blocks would be immensely more gratifying but that's just me. On the other hand the real-time approach does give you the ability to move from block to block in various places, in between phrases, which is really exciting sometimes.
damn happy to be here w00t
mckenic
applause

Thank you for doing this! I can see myself hanging out here quite a bit Rockin' Banana!
Paranormal Patroler
Didn't know you were a TO user mckeninc mate. That's good news to me!
mckenic
thumbs up

Owner would be a better description than user smile
Although I have uploaded some samples and put together a 16-32 bar 'tune'!
Happy to hang out here and learn!

thumbs up
Paranormal Patroler
lol Blame that on the language barrier. I'm happy you're on the team! You and I share a similar MIDI craze it seems.
polyroy
Cool to see this set up. Was always intruiged by the Tenori-On, as well as the Monome, although the latter seems more suited to fucking with samples instead of sequencing. Never had a chance to try either of them out, but would love to have a go at some point and see how it fairs with the Bug.
Paranormal Patroler
TOs are fairly cheap these days so it'll be easy for you to grab one. There's a white version (battery option and leds on both side) for sale for 350 euro where I'm at, these used to be 1000euro new.
DJFonzi
So bummed. They were $299 at Musician's Friend a couple weeks ago. I guess I assumed that was the new price. d'oh!
I'd been planning on getting one. I can't justify it at $600.
mckenic
Mayhaps we could do a patch exchange thingy?
I have a few of my retro sounds set up as user bank 1&2... must add to the 3rd slot to make a complete set...

Anyone up for it?

BTW - are old topics being moved in here? This is a new sub-forum right? Just a senior moment as I near the end of my 30s soon!
mckenic wrote:
I have a few of my retro sounds set up as user bank 1&2... must add to the 3rd slot to make a complete set...

Anyone up for it?

BTW - are old topics being moved in here? This is a new sub-forum right? Just a senior moment as I near the end of my 30s soon!

pm'd

BTW- I had to do a double take when I first found the forum - it was so....populated I was thinking I musta missed something or didn't get the memo
Paranormal Patroler
mckenic wrote:

Anyone up for it?

This is a new subforum indeed. Good idea to start a sample exchange thingy, I have tons of them. Should I make a new thread about it? We can upload samples as zip files there instead of going the PM root. As I said, I have quite a few of them and I intend to make more.
mckenic
thumbs up

Do it!!! I'll upload my set this weekend (have to add a few small samples) wherever you set-up!

thumbs up
kwaidan
I recently picked up a Tenori-on orange by price matching Musician's Friend at Guitar Center for $300. (GC actually owns MF!)

Anyway, I have been having trouble with the voice manager. It is very picky about what files it will convert. I know it has a time limitation where the sample must be less than a second, but it doesn't accept the most basic drum hits. Would it help to convert the samples to mono or d I need to edit them for length? I've got some samples to work . . . Any suggestions?
mckenic
Umm... its been awhile since I used the Voice Manager programme - can someone walk me thru it/help with a few questions please?

I can only create one Sample set/Layer at a time right?

Up to 3 Sets/Layers max right?

Is there ANY way to import my old Sets/Layers into the software to add sounds to them?

I just put the .tnw files on the card myself do I? There is no special import or anything?

Finally - Thank you!

Will upload my 3 once I figure out if I can add to the 3rd one to fill the bank smile

thumbs up
mckenic
kwaidan - I had an issue on OS X where I had to save to 'Untitled' (the name the Tenori gives the SD card) instead of my computer.

Neil wrote about it on the Elektron Users forum. 2nd post on this page -
http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&fun c=view&id=148816&catid=11&limit=10&limitstart=30

I tried some quick zaps from Richard Devines Twisted Tools sample set and apart from the save path, the samples were fine... no need to convert or monofy (?) ...

HTH
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2