MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What Sold you on the Tenori-On?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Author What Sold you on the Tenori-On?
Jaspo
What sold me was this demo video. In retrospect the internal sounds are weak, but the demo is still impressive.

Side note: I just subscribed to his Youtube channel and it looks like he has gone Eurorack with Elektron. Holy shit! his stuff is good.

ritchiedrums
Honestly,
The Cheap Used market is what got Me on board It's motherfucking bacon yo
Kent
Seemed awesome and I worked for Yamaha at the time, so...
flx
The sequencer! Before, I just used the MPC, which is also great but a different style. The Tenori just lends itself much better for on-the-fly sequence changes and short, snappy sequences. I usually use it to sequence the 303 clone and modular. The rest is controlled by the MPC.
Luap
I love quirky things and music + instruments. Oh, and Blinken lightz! The Tenori-on ticked every single one of those boxes, so I had to have one!
I also particularly like unusual sequencers. Which is just as well as the built in sounds are so-so.. But it does indeed make for a very cool and unique sequencer.

Its the trippiest bit of gear I have! Bravo to Yamaha for making it real.. The big companies almost never delve into boutique gear, so the Tenori-on is a cool exception to the norm.

PS, And thanks to Mr Muff for giving us a Tenori-On forum thumbs up
it called out to me - no matter what bad things people said about it, I figured they were wrong and just didn't get it. I knew I had to have one.
rafe127
What sold me on it was the extreme ease of changing loop lengths.
mckenic
Electroplankton!

(and Sonic States review/previews)
colossal
The device just looks amazing but I couldn't justify the money, tnr-i is a no brainier.
radicalone
Different musical interface with interesting sounds drew me to the Tenori-On. Have 2 units now and becomes an integral part of rhythm programming for me. There are lots of ideas around improving the Tenori-On, but it has many good features to quickly build grooves and beats, including the repeat functions divisible by beat value. Very useful function.
Paranormal Patroler
radicalone wrote:
including the repeat functions divisible by beat value. Very useful function.

Which function are you referring to exactly? Beat division in (almost) all layer modes? It's really cool although I'd like it to only be applied from beginning of bar 1, that would be amazing. It's difficult to be precise enough to always change the division on time. But you can always use the restart shortcut to get things in line if it fails. hihi
pantalones
What sold me on the tenori-on was the original vision before it was distorted by Yamaha.

I saw it at SIGGRAPH05 demoed by Toshio Iwai himself, tethered to a yamaha sampler. it was amazing and i wanted it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLKMn4Kqpw

Still kind of bummed that it fizzled out but not enough to sell mine yet.
was silents
Just wanted to chime in to this thread for my first post. For me it was the overall aesthetic merit of the Tenori-On that sold me. It is a unique and well designed object that is also an instrument. I find it satisfying to hear, see, touch and use. The Tenori On reminds me of Bang and Olufsen stereo equipment. They may not be the best at what they do , but they do it beautifully.

By the way, I have the TNR-W. I do not feel as positively about the aesthetics of the TNR-O or ipad versions.

OT: What is with this emoticon? Is it a cloud crapping blood? Slayer reference? MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Paranormal Patroler
Actually it's a Don Hertzfelt reference. Search for Rejected Cartoons on Youtube. Enjoy and welcome!
was silents
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Actually it's a Don Hertzfelt reference. Search for Rejected Cartoons on Youtube. Enjoy and welcome!

Ha! OK, I get it now. That was fun! Yaaayy!

Thanks!
Kafgee
Electroplankton and using it in bed Rockin' Banana!
Quiggers
I wanted a mobile music making device and I fell for the marketing.

The static sounds and fixed velocity no control sequencer have put this in the life lesson category.

But at least I didn't buy google glass. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
ersatzplanet
pantalones wrote:
What sold me on the tenori-on was the original vision before it was distorted by Yamaha.

I saw it at SIGGRAPH05 demoed by Toshio Iwai himself, tethered to a yamaha sampler. it was amazing and i wanted it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLKMn4Kqpw

Still kind of bummed that it fizzled out but not enough to sell mine yet.

What did Yamaha do to distort it? The on in the linked video looks and seems to act like mine but has orange LEDs instead of white. Did they change the OS or something?
garstyciuks
Atom TM playing it and Tobor Experiment (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S0vFvGvIgVU)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On  
Page 1 of 1