MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcement: IDOW Hardcore Edition DVD/BluRay repress
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Announcement: IDOW Hardcore Edition DVD/BluRay repress
s o l v e n t
An announcement:

We've had a long, hard think about it, and we've decided that we are going to make "I Dream Of Wires: Hardcore Edition" DVDs and BluRays available to purchase again. Please give us about a week, and then you'll find a shiny new "BUY" button on our website. More details forthcoming.

This decision was reached largely due to an overwhelming demand. It seems that a 4-hour documentary about modular synthesizers isn't as niche as we thought! Comparatively, interest in the theatrical cut seems to be minimal, and so we've decided to put those plans on hold, and instead concentrate on IDOW as we feel it was meant to be: 4 hours, HARDCORE!

We know that there are some pre-order customers who will be disappointed that their "exclusive" edition is no longer so special. We understand, and apologize if you feel mislead. We hope you can take pride in knowing that this film wouldn't exist if it wasn't for pre-orders from people like you. Ultimately, we just need to do what is best for the film, for the modular community, and for us, which is to get this film seen by everyone who wants to see it.

Thanks for all of the interest and support!

--
Addendum:

I want to address the debate that has arisen from some pre-order cusotmers...

If you pre-ordered the film, and the "limited edition, hand-numbered" aspect of the purchase is important to you, then we have not delivered what was promised. If you feel disappointed with your purchase for this reason, I am offering you a refund. You will need to cover the return shipping cost, which we'll consider your rental fee. With that, I feel that the debate is over.

To arrange this, please email info [at] idreamofwires [dot] org with the subject "IDOW return" - please make sure to include your Paypal email address if you are using a different email address to contact me.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Hah! I predicted as much. And, why the hell not? Money is a good thing. hihi
sonicwarrior
So much to:

s o l v e n t wrote:
IDOW-HE ... Limited to 2000 hand-numbered copies

=> https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1063393#1063393

Mine also was not hand-numbered but well I'm used to marketing lies.
thesnow
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Hah! I predicted as much. And, why the hell not? Money is a good thing. hihi

typical. shouldn't have pitched to everyone an "exclusive" version for pre-orders then. especially on this forum. happy for all that missed out just saying this is typical and not classy.
buddard
I preordered, and I still think that this second batch is a Good Thing.

I bought the movie so I would get to see it, not to be in an exclusive club or anything like that. I feel that the more people see this movie the better, and the more money the producers make from it the better -- Who knows, maybe this could result in a sequel/followup with a higher budget, interviews with a lot of people that couldn't make it into the first movie, etc? I can only see good things come out of it...

But maybe, as a kind of consolation to those who feel offended, maybe you could make the second run with a slightly different cover art or something? seriously, i just don't get it

Are you making a second run of the module as well?
darenager
If ever there was an excuse to utter the phrase "First world problems" the last 2 but one posters provided it. Get a grip, go and watch Fight Club or something hihi

Hopefully increased interest might widen the market and fuel the burners for future films, that is a good thing, no?

I'm off now to cry that my DVD wasn't numbered, that I was lied to by the evil IDOW corparate machine, and that I am not special. Actually scratch that. I am special w00t
sonicwarrior
darenager wrote:
If ever there was an excuse to utter the phrase "First world problems" the last 2 but one posters provided it.

Excellent way to silence critics. Mr. Goebbels would be proud of you.

Edit: Shit, Godwin's law in the 7th post of the thread. Do I win a prize?

Edit2: There should be a new law named for the mention of 'First world problems'. As it is used inflationary at the moment: Is there already a name for it?
thesnow
answer to opinions on fb

climbingtyler
Cool!

I already bought mine off another wiggler (got it in the mail yesterday), but I think everyone into synthesizers needs to see this!
thumbs up
Reality Checkpoint
1 year, 1 month, 2 days I waited for my "limited edition, hand numbered" (of which it is neither) copy and now this. very frustrating
Kingnimrod
Would it make you guys feel better if the second pressing didn't come with postcards and was somehow identified as a repress?

I'm not sure if there's really a hot secondhand market for "limited edition" DVDs and Blu-Rays - I guess I could be wrong.

But obviously what happened here is that they had no way of knowing what the demand would be for this and they are trying to quell an even greater tide of complainers who feel cheated for not getting it the first go-around.

If you're still angry, just think about it this way - the greater the interest in modular synths, the larger the market, the greater scale of production, and the eventual lowering of prices of equipment as a result of overall volume.
Reality Checkpoint
Kingnimrod wrote:
If you're still angry, just think about it this way - the greater the interest in modular synths, the larger the market, the greater scale of production, and the eventual lowering of prices of equipment as a result of overall volume.

Oh, I am not angry at all, and yes I am happy with what this level of exposure could mean to the market. My gripe is that after the long wait, I do not get what I paid and asked for. This would be the same for me with any product. Caveat emptor.
Kingnimrod
Maybe ask for a refund if you really feel like you got ripped off. Or you could sell your copy on BST as there is likely demand is high.
JohnLRice
It doesn't bother me that they are re-printing the Hard Core edition, but I really think that if the shorter theatrical release was available NOW, the demand for the Hard Core edition would be significantly less.

I think sticking to their plans and getting the theatrical version out ASAP would be in everyone's best interest IMHO. Then maybe waiting a year to see what the real interest in the hard core edition is at that time?
KnobHell
Jason,

I think a second run would be great. You guys put a lot of effort into this, and it was really for the synth community. You guys deserve to more than just recoup your investment if you can.

Being able to buy a second copy gives me the warm fuzzies that if I damage mine it will not be lost forever!

Put me down for two, I want to give one as a gift.

len
elmegil
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
1 year, 1 month, 2 days I waited for my "limited edition, hand numbered" (of which it is neither) copy and now this. very frustrating

If you only bought it because it was limited or hand numbered, you CLEARLY missed the point.
s o l v e n t

sorry if you feel disappointed, but 1 thing to keep in mind... as an IndieGoGo supporter you paid much less $ than it cost to order later. DVD pre-order through IGG was $25 incl international shipping, and additional I gave you the option to upgrade to BluRay at no additional cost.

Anyway I'm sorry for those who feel mislead but ultimately we have to do what is best for this film.
climbingtyler
elmegil wrote:
If you only bought it because it was limited or hand numbered, you CLEARLY missed the point.

I totally agree. I bought mine off another wiggler because i wanted to see the full movie, not because it was a limited edition.

Something about knowing that there was more to the documentary that what would have been provided in the theatrical version, would have left me wondering what I didn't get to see. I think it is awesome that they are giving more people a chance to see this in its full glory.

w00t
climbingtyler
Sorry about the double comment...
Cant find the delete comment button...
KnobHell
s o l v e n t wrote:

sorry if you feel disappointed, but 1 thing to keep in mind... as an IndieGoGo supporter you paid much less $ than it cost to order later. DVD pre-order through IGG was $25 incl international shipping, and additional I gave you the option to upgrade to BluRay at no additional cost.

Anyway I'm sorry for those who feel mislead but ultimately we have to do what is best for this film.

+1 Jason

I want to share this film with a bunch of friends. If we can't buy legitimate copies, what are our options? Bootleg?

I would rather pay Jason for additional copies, he did the work. They took the risk. They deserve the profit.

Len
mmelnick
Just make another cover for the 2nd pressing or a note on the coverthat's it's a repress and note it on the DVD art as well. How hard would that be? Bands repress records all the time with differences in the versions and fans and collectors appreciate it.
voidshell
I say go for it! I don't care that its "Exclusive" blah blah blah.

It's a great presentation that everyone should have access to.

If you don't make it available for the public to purchase, they will find other ways to view it.
Reality Checkpoint
elmegil wrote:

No, YOU have clearly missed the point. Read my post again.

I bought this solely on the facts presented to me on the original IndieGoGo campaign, as I thought that it was a great idea, and that it would spread the gospel of modular synthesis. I do not, and did not when I ordered my copy, care as to whether it was limited or hand numbered. I chose that option as it gave a small amount more than the standard package with which to help the creators get this film made.

My point is, and I shall state it again to avoid any doubt, I did not get what I paid for. Caveat emptor.
Reality Checkpoint
s o l v e n t wrote:

I paid $40 for a limited edition, hand numbered DVD. This I did not get. I do not have a BluRay player, nor will I buy one.

My whole intention about funding your IndieGoGo campaign was to help you produce what is ultimately an amazing product, and will hopefully spread the word about modular synthesis to a much wider audience.

I did not get what I paid for. That is my point.
JohnLRice
The biggest downside IMHO to the reprint is that the next time the creators do an extended project, and they need funds to support the project before they are able to deliver a product, it's doubtful they will be able to rally the troops of the faithful by offering 'exclusive' pre-sales and have it be effective.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8