MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Oberheim Xpander filter input mod?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Oberheim Xpander filter input mod?
Hey anyone know of anyone still doing this? preferably on the east coast?

Or if it's even useful? I think it is?

I was pondering integrating xpander into modular...this seems like it could provide useful with the cv inputs...no?
tIB
I had some notes on the mod if thats any use, though Im not sure where they are and pretty sure I just googled to find them.

Not sure about the mods worth- its a great filter but Im happy with it being its own thing. It does interface well with the modular anyway with the CV and pedal ins, filter in I suppose would be another nice option to have though Ive never really wished it had it.

Im not much help really am I?!
Ranxerox
I have a feeling the Oddernmart mod replaced the internal noise-source with the audio input - or maybe just normalled the jack so that noise would be overridden if an external source was plugged in.

There's a link to the doc on this page (at the bottom):

http://www.chrisboucher.com/studio/oberheim_xpander/
leeski
hey how do you use the VCA 2 in the filter page
As i just seem to get a drone sound when turning it up??? seriously, i just don't get it
tIB
^ that rings a bell- think the noise volume is the input volume...unless I'm confusing with the ax73 input mod.
Nelson Baboon
leeski wrote:
hey how do you use the VCA 2 in the filter page
As i just seem to get a drone sound when turning it up??? seriously, i just don't get it

That's one use. You can also modulate it with other things (including envelopes, of course)....lfos, tracking generators, etc....
Sir Ruff
After years of owning an Xpander, I've still never figured out what the point of two VCAs for the output was...

Does anyone have a specific example where that would be useful?
Nelson Baboon
I've never really done it, but I imagine that one might get interesting results by modulating both of them differently....
Sir Ruff
Nelson Baboon wrote:
I've never really done it, but I imagine that one might get interesting results by modulating both of them differently....

Why not just apply different modulators to one VCA then? hmmm.....

The fact you yourself haven't tried this suggests there aren't many interesting results to be gained lol
Nelson Baboon
Well - I suppose the answer to the first question is that with the xpander, things don't always work exactly like it seems they should, especially with modulations. So, I can't say whether the results would be exactly the same.

Plus there is a max of 6 (I think it's 6) modulations for each destination, though that doesn't seem like like much of a limitation...

But you're right that the answer doesn't seem obvious, though I vaguely recall that one of the manuals (xpander or matrix 12) discusses this at some point. I just can't remember...
Sir Ruff
I do recall it mentioning this specifically in the manual... I seem to recall it not really giving any specifics as to how this is actually useful though. I'll have to dig it out.

The major oversight here is not being able to control the left and right outputs independently. This seems like the most obvious use for dual VCAs.
csluyuan
that rings a bell- think the noise volume is the input volume.

2 VCAs are useful if you want to add a modulation (eg a tremolo) AND keep a note starting and finishing with its ADSR envelope. Since the modulations sum up, ADSR and LFO (eg tremolo) on a single vca will keep the sound droning with the lfo after the release.

The Oddernmart mod works exactly as you said (audio instead of vco2 noise). Mine is a bit noisy though, I get a noisefloor of about -63 dB, which is annoying in conjunction with a tight headroom. Does anybody have the same issue? Would cleaning the contacts help? The noise is just, well, white noise.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1