Trio for modular, piano and percussion

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: ignatius, Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

MR
Common Wiggler

Trio for modular, piano and percussion

Post by MR » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:20 am

http://soundcloud.com/mr183/trio-for-modular-piano-and

A self-playing patch from my Eurorack modular: all events (envelopes etc.) derived from the burst output of a Wogglebug, four voices (two Doepfer VCOs, a synced Piston Honda, an FMed Antioscillator), pitches provided by Wogglebug and Doepfer A-149, Wogglebug clocked by one of the VCOs divided down by 8 octaves; output through RE-20 pedal for delay&reverb.

I recorded 10 minutes of this patch and improvised on a piano sound; tonal, non-tonal and clusters depending on how much room the modular left me.

Some additional percussion accents (hand drums, tambourine, shaker, thumb piano, oriental flute) recorded live.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 am

Absolutely bloody excellent, my maestro.
strictly a suit and tie wearing motherfucker

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:41 pm

Very awesome, enjoyed!

Amberclock
Common Wiggler

Post by Amberclock » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:12 pm

Loved that. Totally. And it makes me more and more certain about my idea that the most amazing and inspiring potential of the modulars comes not inherently from them on their own but rather paired with other instruments and sounds - it's like what was "meh" or simply nice sounding stand-alone becomes 10x better and mindblowing when creatively put in an instrumentation.

Skapalmer
Common Wiggler

Post by Skapalmer » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:05 am

Amberclock wrote:Loved that. Totally. And it makes me more and more certain about my idea that the most amazing and inspiring potential of the modulars comes not inherently from them on their own but rather paired with other instruments and sounds - it's like what was "meh" or simply nice sounding stand-alone becomes 10x better and mindblowing when creatively put in an instrumentation.
I couldn't agree more, and really liked the piece. Piano makes an ideal complement. I'm struck how woodwind-like and organic the modular sounds in this. At times it sounds as though an oboe or bassoon has crept into the sound space!

I tried a very raw attempt myself at piano+modular, but this is on another level. Well done.

Jaspo
Code Head

Post by Jaspo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:22 am

Wonderful work. I like that the fx brings it all together.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:32 am

Fantastic! :love:

Is your real name actually Karl Stockhausen? :hmm: :hail: :tu: I had just watched the Stockhausen documentary posted in another thread earlier this morning so . . it was almost like a continuation of that! :party: I plan to do some similar things in the hopefully near future . . .

MR
Common Wiggler

Post by MR » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback, glad to read you liked it!

@Amberclock: what you wrote reminded me of what Stockhausen said about his first mixed instrumental/electronic pieces like KONTAKTE in 1969 (my own translation):

"These familiar sounds give orientation, perspectives of listening; they function as traffic signs in the unbounded space of the newly discovered electronic world of sound. [...] The encounter with the familiar and nameable in regions of the unfamiliar, unnameable makes the unknown more mysterious, fascinating, and conversely the familiar, also the banal and ancient - something we barely had an ear for - becomes fresh and alive in the new environment of the unfamiliar.

For me the "Trio" was one of these rare moments where just everything sounds right on first take. I also wonder what it was about the self-playing modular patch, the way in which (un)predictability, (pseudo-)randomness and (self-)organization came together, that inspired the piano improvisation and made it sound just right together with the modular - no idea....

Amberclock
Common Wiggler

Post by Amberclock » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:08 pm

MR wrote:Thanks for the feedback, glad to read you liked it!

@Amberclock: what you wrote reminded me of what Stockhausen said about his first mixed instrumental/electronic pieces like KONTAKTE in 1969 (my own translation):

"These familiar sounds give orientation, perspectives of listening; they function as traffic signs in the unbounded space of the newly discovered electronic world of sound. [...] The encounter with the familiar and nameable in regions of the unfamiliar, unnameable makes the unknown more mysterious, fascinating, and conversely the familiar, also the banal and ancient - something we barely had an ear for - becomes fresh and alive in the new environment of the unfamiliar.

For me the "Trio" was one of these rare moments where just everything sounds right on first take. I also wonder what it was about the self-playing modular patch, the way in which (un)predictability, (pseudo-)randomness and (self-)organization came together, that inspired the piano improvisation and made it sound just right together with the modular - no idea....
I think that's a very appropriate quote here. Instrumentation means so amazingly much to music. Along with vision.

As for "everything in its right place" - it's one of the most amazing feelings. I've mostly had it with writing, since I have next to no recorded music of my own yet, but I totally understand it. And it's so fragile - you actually read or hear what you recorded and there's a feeling of "how the hell did I do that? I don't even remember that!" and it's simply unrepeatable. Weird, magical and magick stuff.

Noise for Fiction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Noise for Fiction » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:17 pm

:tu: great,thank you!

bkbirge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bkbirge » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Amazing track, well done

Modular & Dork Rock:
https://bkbirge.bandcamp.com/
Racks:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/88730
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/89177
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/379579

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." ~ Puck, 1903

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:47 am

Beautiful track. If someone had told me that this was actually Stockhausen or some other similar composer from the 60s or whatever, I would have believed it.
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

Tobor
Tardis Chauffeur

Post by Tobor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:30 am

like it very much

MR
Common Wiggler

Post by MR » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:07 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:Beautiful track. If someone had told me that this was actually Stockhausen or some other similar composer from the 60s or whatever, I would have believed it.
Thanks, I really feel honored!

Return to “Your Tunes Here”