MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HELP: Testing patch cables and CV signals?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author HELP: Testing patch cables and CV signals?
Mr. Pete
Still no dave jones O'Tool in my cases~ they are never in stock, anywhere! ~ but I did set up an analog oscilloscope with some advice from helpful forum member(s)
Since I still don't have an O'Tool, I'm not sure if that module would even do this~ but what do I need and how do I use it to check and test

1) are cables working correctly?
2) how much voltage is coming out of an output?

can I pickup a cheap Voltmeter or what?
suggestions please?
Dcramer
Yup, I've seen where people have made up a simple cable with a jack on one end and pins on the other to go into a cheap multimeter. It's an easy way to see changing voltages. These meters can also test for continuity to check cables. Saves
Mr. Pete
Thanks! Still wondering how that will work.. attaching it to get a readable signal... something like the probe on the Oscilloscope, I'm guessing? I did an on-line search on multimeter videos and tutorials but nobody seems to have posted anything in regards synth modules ~ and doubt anybody will know anything at the Big Box store I'm likely to find one in...

Dcramer wrote:
Yup, I've seen where people have made up a simple cable with a jack on one end and pins on the other to go into a cheap multimeter. It's an easy way to see changing voltages. These meters can also test for continuity to check cables. Saves
Plugler
As already by Dcramer explained, for CV or Gate voltages, you need a multimeter.

You can test cables with a multimeter too, but it is not very comfortable. And very unreliable for finding a loose contact.

Because I often solder cables myself, I want to test the quality easily, before I use them.
Sometimes, a loose contact ("Wackelkontakt") can happen. Mostly with cheap cables, when only exchanging the plug. The loose contact happens then only when bending the cable directly behind the plug, and only in one direction...

For this and many other purposes, I can highly recomment a dedicated cable/connection tester.

I use this:
Behringer CT-100
Very cheap, you can get it e.g. at Thomann for 15 Euro.
With this model, you can test adapter cables too, e.g. 3,5mm <--> 6,3mm.

The new, and expensive Mackie MTest-1 is not well designed, as with this you can not test adapter cables with different plugs. Only 3,5mm <--> 3,5mm.
umma gumma
Plugler wrote:
As already by Dcramer explained, for CV or Gate voltages, you need a multimeter.

You can test cables with a multimeter too, but it is not very comfortable. And very unreliable for finding a loose contact.

Because I often solder cables myself, I want to test the quality easily, before I use them.
Sometimes, a loose contact ("Wackelkontakt") can happen. Mostly with cheap cables, when only exchanging the plug. The loose contact happens then only when bending the cable directly behind the plug, and only in one direction...

For this and many other purposes, I can highly recomment a dedicated cable/connection tester.

I use this:
Behringer CT-100
Very cheap, you can get it e.g. at Thomann for 15 Euro.
With this model, you can test adapter cables too, e.g. 3,5mm <--> 6,3mm.

The new, and expensive Mackie MTest-1 is not well designed, as with this you can not test adapter cables with different plugs. Only 3,5mm <--> 3,5mm.

hey that Behringer tester looks like a good idea, thx for the link!

just last night I used my cheap multimeter to isolate a dead patch cord: cut it down until I got signal again, then resoldered the tip. Actually converted it into a mix out/insert cable
JohnLRice
For oscilloscope (and multimeter) use you can buy a loose plug or jack and clip the probe to the contacts.

Or if you don't solder but want a neater solution you can buy these premade for oscilloscope use from ADDAC?
http://www.addacsystem.com/product/addac-accessories/addac0017
cptnal
I'm very basic - I clip the terminals of my multimeter to the tip and sleeve of a cable plugged into the module I'm measuring. zombie
ersatzplanet
We make a module just for testing patch cords, providing +5V to the standard Eurorack bus, and providing an adjustable DC voltage - the PC5V.

You would be amazed how often a patch weirdness can come down to a bad cord.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1