MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tetra Maps, anybody use one?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Tetra Maps, anybody use one?
transferpoint
Has anyone used a Tetra Maps yet? (Or is it even out?) Impressions?
droolmaster0
I have one ordered - should arrive in mid November. Remind me and I'll certainly give my impressions at that time.

Assuming little change from the original version: extremely powerful sequencer - definitely 'high end' in terms of capabilities. To say that it encourages intersequence modulation would be an understatement - it's built around that, really. As I recall there are 4 cv/gate channels in addition to the straight midi, and that not only can its own tracks be sent out the analog ports, but that it can also do some midi to cv conversion. I also recall that it will do one channel of cv to midi, but it's been awhile since I've had my hands on one.

The downside of the original MAPS was the menu intensive interface, and the slow turning knobs. I just remember turning and turning and turning to get to a value. Yet, here I am back again.....I'm hoping that the physical feel of the knobs and menus is a little better, but I'm intrigued enough by having this within the eurorack that I went for it.

The model is much more towards the midi end of step sequencers - the contrast really is the SAM-16. That also does both midi and cv/gate, but has essentially one sequence, with multiple rows that allow all sorts of modulation, audio rate sequencing, sequential switching of audio, inputs, outputs per step, etc. But all of the lines are the same length - it's more like a typical analog sequencer with 4 rows in that respect.

The MAPS is menu based, has tons and tons of tracks, and also virtual tracks based on retriggering the existing ones (or something like that - it's been awhile), they can intermodulate, be of different lengths, etc....but no individual step ins and outs, no audio rate sequencing.
dkcg
Lots of menus, but the pain in the ass is worth it for what you can do in all those menus. The TetraMaps is in just about every sequenced patch I make since I got it. Polyrhythms and overlapping sequences are my favorite parts of it. I haven't used it with OSC yet, still trying to get that to work right, but it works great as a analog and midi sequencer. You have to set it up if you want the analog outs and midi outs to be independent, but I've had it outputting multichannel midi and analog at the same time. It's a lot different than my Oberkorn, but can be much more useful for me and often ends up as the master clock for everything, analog and midi.

But if you don't like menus, it may not be for you. I don't mind this one, it's pretty well organized overall, but has it's quirks.

Too many features to list them all, I've still barely gone knee deep with it. It killed a lot of my Buchla control lust.
droolmaster0
Can't wait to get mine - yeah, polyrhythms, overlapping sequences, and all of this stuff being intermodulated - it just leads you in directions that other sequencers don't...at least it does me.

dkcg wrote:
Lots of menus, but the pain in the ass is worth it for what you can do in all those menus. The TetraMaps is in just about every sequenced patch I make since I got it. Polyrhythms and overlapping sequences are my favorite parts of it. I haven't used it with OSC yet, still trying to get that to work right, but it works great as a analog and midi sequencer. You have to set it up if you want the analog outs and midi outs to be independent, but I've had it outputting multichannel midi and analog at the same time. It's a lot different than my Oberkorn, but can be much more useful for me and often ends up as the master clock for everything, analog and midi.

But if you don't like menus, it may not be for you. I don't mind this one, it's pretty well organized overall, but has it's quirks.

Too many features to list them all, I've still barely gone knee deep with it. It killed a lot of my Buchla control lust.
dkcg
droolmaster0 wrote:
it just leads you in directions that other sequencers don't...at least it does me.

it most definitely does. I could never do anything as complex out of some simple rhythms with the oberkorn. It's like having access to almost unlimited 8 step sequencers that can have variable step lengths.

It kinda forces you to think in terms of standard notation a bit. with the step/note lengths, quantized scale outputs, etc.

It's got just about everything I want in a sequencer that walks that fine line between traditionally musical and weirdo bizarro lab experiments.
transferpoint
Damn, all that control in such a small space. I'm trying to wrap my head around what sequencer to get.

Thanks for the response, leaves much food for thought. I'll bump this thread in a few weeks.
dkcg
transferpoint wrote:
Damn, all that control in such a small space. I'm trying to wrap my head around what sequencer to get.

Thanks for the response, leaves much food for thought. I'll bump this thread in a few weeks.

I have a few days off for a long weekend. I think I found my camera's USB cable last night, so I'll try to make a simple polyrhythms and TetraMaps features video this weekend.
transferpoint
that would be the shit!
ignatius
midi/cv conversion.. yes i'm sure it does that very well. i had a desktop model of the previous version of the sequencer and it was the best midi/cv converter i've ever used. never a hung note or anything.

as far as the rest of it.. get ready for some head scratching. great stuff under the hood but some people don't find it very intuitive. i dug it but ended up selling it to get cash for more modules.
Jari Jokinen
dkcg wrote:
I have a few days off for a long weekend. I think I found my camera's USB cable last night, so I'll try to make a simple polyrhythms and TetraMaps features video this weekend.

Does it have microtuning capabilities? If so, can you demonstrate, how it works in practice?
droolmaster0
dkcg wrote:
transferpoint wrote:

hey - did you ever try the older version of the MAPS? how is this different, other than the look (and that it's installable in a eurorack)? I'm getting the idea that actual sequencing firmware hasn't had a serious upgrade in a few years.
droolmaster0
Jari Jokinen wrote:
dkcg wrote:

Does it have microtuning capabilities? If so, can you demonstrate, how it works in practice?

You know what - I have a vague recollection that you can edit the cv pitches per step. Too lazy to download and look through the manual now....
droolmaster0
ah yes:
"Step notes are tuneable to 3.125 cents 'un-quantized' resolution."

As I recall, this is for the cv output only, and is set up on a separate track to modulate the pitches of another track.
dkcg
It is so deep that it can be overwhelming. Every time I read through the manuals, I get lots of ideas, then pretty much get nothing done because there's too much you can do and end up using the basics. I still haven't programmed many patterns into it. There's a lot of head scratching, and the ah-ha moments. I finally figured out how to control my channels better last night, I had one sequence controlling midi output, the tetramaps taking midi clock from the MD, as well as two seperate channels for two sequences going out the CVs and gates. Up until now I was having too much fun to dive any deeper to figure out how to get that control more and was letting overflowing notes just cascade and do their thing in polyphony mode. Like musical pichinko.
dkcg
droolmaster0 wrote:
Jari Jokinen wrote:
dkcg wrote:

You know what - I have a vague recollection that you can edit the cv pitches per step. Too lazy to download and look through the manual now....

I'm 90% sure you're right. No manuals or maps near right now.
dubchild
I've got a Euro format and Modcan A format module on there way now from James. He said OS 3.0 is installed and he included a copy of the manual for OS 3.0. He also said that OS 3.1x should be out before the end of the year, not sure what bugs are fixed or if any new features are being added.
I'll be sure to post some pics of the Modcan A format one!!
Jari Jokinen
droolmaster0 wrote:
ah yes:

As I recall, this is for the cv output only, and is set up on a separate track to modulate the pitches of another track.

CV only is not an issue, but needing a separate fine tuning track doesn't sound appealing...
dkcg
Jari Jokinen wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
ah yes:

CV only is not an issue, but needing a separate fine tuning track doesn't sound appealing...

There's a detune track associated with each sequence where each step is tunable to 1/32nd (3.125 cents), so I don't believe you need to have a separate modulation track. I'm not positive if this goes out the midi as well as CVs. I haven't tried using any detune yet so I can't say much else about it.
ignatius
droolmaster0 wrote:
dkcg wrote:
transferpoint wrote:

hey - did you ever try the older version of the MAPS? how is this different, other than the look (and that it's installable in a eurorack)? I'm getting the idea that actual sequencing firmware hasn't had a serious upgrade in a few years.

the older one. at least the one i had.. was 3 channel. also, the new one has the push buttons for triggering sequences, the older model didn't... and you have OSC support in the tetra. so, there are some interface changes and you have another channel of cv/gate + OSC and i'm sure there is more under the hood that is different but i can't recall. it's been a while.
dkcg
ignatius wrote:
the older one. at least the one i had.. was 3 channel. also, the new one has the push buttons for triggering sequences, the older model didn't... and you have OSC support in the tetra. so, there are some interface changes and you have another channel of cv/gate + OSC and i'm sure there is more under the hood that is different but i can't recall. it's been a while.

The new one is 4 channels, 32 channels of MIDI (although the last 16 channels go out a midi connector on top of the module which I have no way of accessing w/o cutting a hole on top of my case (so for practical uses, 16 channels of midi) The midi outputs could carry more channels and with another midi2CV converter, you could get even more channels all controlled by the TetraMaps.

OSC...I'm still trying to get that to work. waah
I briefly tried the other night and the sequencer would keep rebooting when I had an ethernet cable plugged in. MY settings may not be right, I didn't try too hard to get it working. That's this weekend.
droolmaster0
thanks for confirming my memory that the original maps had 3 channels of cv/gate. Josh from bcm told me that it had 4....

I realize that it has osc, and some hardware differences, but it seems to me that the basic sequencing engine has stayed the same.

ignatius wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
dkcg wrote:
transferpoint wrote:

science
Might be worth cutting a hole in the back of your case routed to a MIDI port connected internally to the extra port on the MAPS?
ignatius
droolmaster0 wrote:
but it seems to me that the basic sequencing engine has stayed the same.

i'm sure it operates in more or less the same way w/a few more bells and whistles. can tell that just by looking at it in the youtube videos.
dkcg
science wrote:
Might be worth cutting a hole in the back of your case routed to a MIDI port connected internally to the extra port on the MAPS?

But I like it on the top row. d'oh!

I hope to get OSC working soon, then I won't really ever need it.
science
OSC is an awesome feature for a sequencer in euro format to have. I picture 10 years from now being able to drag presets from each of my modules to a folder on my desktop, or forcing my modules to do strange things by flooding them with packets wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2