MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I want a module that does this/microtuning
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author I want a module that does this/microtuning
droolmaster0
Midi in, so that you can upload .tun or scala files, of which there are a huge number available. Capacity in the module should be very large.

Then simply it would quantize cv data to the chosen scale.

There are programs that do this with midi using pitchbend, and the motm 650 can upload one such scale and translate its midi input into that scale, but I want something better. Now.
Nuuj
Not a module but...

http://www.h-pi.com/TBX1features.html
droolmaster0
Nuuj wrote:
Not a module but...

http://www.h-pi.com/TBX1features.html

Well, it's midi only. There is software that will do that. I want cv...
Mood Organ
I second this emotion.
chinard
like this?

http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/modules/rs130.htm
drewtoothpaste
You should get an Arduino and program it to do this - there's a "midiuino" deal that sets it up to receive and parse incoming MIDI data, and it outputs 4-5 analog voltages at once. If I had more time I'd dive into it (sadly, I gave up on my arduino quantizer project last year...)
droolmaster0
chinard wrote:
like this?

http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/modules/rs130.htm

I don't believe that these are microtuning scales at all.
droolmaster0
drewtoothpaste wrote:
You should get an Arduino and program it to do this - there's a "midiuino" deal that sets it up to receive and parse incoming MIDI data, and it outputs 4-5 analog voltages at once. If I had more time I'd dive into it (sadly, I gave up on my arduino quantizer project last year...)

And without any programming skills at all I'll be able to do this telekinetically?
thermionicjunky
Unfortunately, there may not be enough demand. I bought a TBX1 and plan on getting a CV-to-MIDI converter. It's a bit goofy but it should get the job done.
droolmaster0
thermionicjunky wrote:
Unfortunately, there may not be enough demand. I bought a TBX1 and plan on getting a CV-to-MIDI converter. It's a bit goofy but it should get the job done.

you mean midi to cv, I think. And it would have to handle the midi + the pitchbend simultaneously....I guess you could mix the pitch + the pitchbend. I could do that with some software I have on the mac, but that just seems like a pain - I want a module that does it easily.
thermionicjunky
droolmaster0 wrote:
thermionicjunky wrote:

you mean midi to cv, I think. And it would have to handle the midi + the pitchbend simultaneously....I guess you could mix the pitch + the pitchbend. I could do that with some software I have on the mac, but that just seems like a pain - I want a module that does it easily.

No, if we're starting with cv, I mean cv to midi - TBX - midi to cv.
nathankirchner
droolmaster0 wrote:
Midi in, so that you can upload .tun or scala files...

... Then simply it would quantize cv data to the chosen scale.

Why do you want to be able to do that?
droolmaster0
nathankirchner wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:

Why would I want to be able to use cool, ethnic scales? Is that a serious question? How about, 'because I like the way that they sound'?
suitandtieguy
nathankirchner wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:

because it would be fucking brilliant?
chinard
suitandtieguy wrote:
nathankirchner wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:

because it would be fucking brilliant?

so does that mean you are voulnteering to make us one?
MY ASS IS BLEEDING nanners ambulance screaming goo yo
ex_dead_teenager
I use a Hi Pi tuning box and a midi-CV converter it works find for m purposes though I agree I wish there was something like this in modular form too
suitandtieguy
no comment.
nathankirchner
droolmaster0 wrote:
Why would I want to be able to use cool, ethnic scales?

Right. So there are scales that don't use the C, C#, B, etc. notes/frequencies that I'm used to...

eek!

Hang... on... a... minute... I think I may have completely misread/misunderstood your initial post. When you said microtune I thought you meant fine tuning (as in you might want A to be 443.25Hz instead of 440Hz) d'oh!

Right - you are talking about a unit that moves incoming CV to the nearest note on a predefine scale (the scales being predefined via an upload of a .tun or scala file), yeah? You want CV 2 CV plus MIDI for loading new scales and then some sort of UI for selecting the scale currently being used, yeah?

So what do you mean when you say microtuning?

droolmaster0 wrote:
Is that a serious question?

Yes, it was.
Nuuj
http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_microtuning/

I would buy a module that had standard Midi in and microtuned CV out.
I would also buy a CV quantizer that had non western scales or even one that had the ability to input arbitrary scales. Perhaps the Z-DSP could do this?

Nuuj
droolmaster0
the tempered tunings that we are used to are not the only tunings that have been used world wide. Do you have any soft synths that can use .tun files? You can probably get a demo of Zebra, for instance, and try this out. I don't know that any explanation would work as well as playing some 'strange' arabic tuning, for instance. The notes fall between the 'cracks' - if you're not used to it, they can sound horribly out of tune, but they are out of tune only if you presuppose Western tuning. Also, research Harry Partch....

nathankirchner wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
Why would I want to be able to use cool, ethnic scales?

Right. So there are scales that don't use the C, C#, B, etc. notes/frequencies that I'm used to...

eek!

Hang... on... a... minute... I think I may have completely misread/misunderstood your initial post. When you said microtune I thought you meant fine tuning (as in you might want A to be 443.25Hz instead of 440Hz) d'oh!

Right - you are talking about a unit that moves incoming CV to the nearest note on a predefine scale (the scales being predefined via an upload of a .tun or scala file), yeah? You want CV 2 CV plus MIDI for loading new scales and then some sort of UI for selecting the scale currently being used, yeah?

So what do you mean when you say microtuning?

droolmaster0 wrote:
Is that a serious question?

Yes, it was.
ndkent
I've thought about it and yes, there are no quick answers. No the Analogue Systems module does nothing like that. An existing MIDI based solution will let you play the scales via MIDI but not quantitize. It's definitely something you'd do with a computer or a microcontroller based module.

There was the frac based PSIM which got developed but apparently was never delivered to many who bought it and some subsequent programmable microcontroller in a module projects in development which I'd think would be a good way to go.

Sooner or later someone will release more plug in tools using a MOTU type DC audio interface. Someone with VST/AU MAX type plug-making skills could roll one. So basically a CV would go into the MOTU, it goes through a plug in and comes out quantitized and goes back into the CV synth (and I hope they credit and comp me if they got the idea here though I'm sure this is on a lot of people's minds by now)
transferpoint
droolmaster0 wrote:
nathankirchner wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:

Why would I want to be able to use cool, ethnic scales? Is that a serious question? How about, 'because I like the way that they sound'?

lol

This would be a cool idea, you'd be able to achieve those cool middle eastern scales that use quarter steps instead of half steps.

nusrat fateh ali khan eat your heart out. fssssckkkewww! (filter sweep)
Sequenox
Droolmaster: You may want to ask Paul Schreiber from Synthtech/MOTM about this.

The MOTM-650 is the closest thing I know to what you want. It has a few scales in it. But if there was a way to program scales into it, or if an update added scales to it, it would be perfecto for your application. And then you would have four channels of CV/Gate microtonal/ethnic scales!
dkcg
droolmaster0 wrote:
Midi in, so that you can upload .tun or scala files, of which there are a huge number available. Capacity in the module should be very large.

Then simply it would quantize cv data to the chosen scale.

There are programs that do this with midi using pitchbend, and the motm 650 can upload one such scale and translate its midi input into that scale, but I want something better. Now.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but you might email the TetraMaps guys as ask if this is possible in a software update. It's CPU based, so it could be possible since there is onboard quantizing.
droolmaster0
Sequenox wrote:
Droolmaster: You may want to ask Paul Schreiber from Synthtech/MOTM about this.

The MOTM-650 is the closest thing I know to what you want. It has a few scales in it. But if there was a way to program scales into it, or if an update added scales to it, it would be perfecto for your application. And then you would have four channels of CV/Gate microtonal/ethnic scales!

Did you read my original post? I mentioned the 650. I have the 650. I believe that you can have only one uploaded scale in it at a time. And because of the nature of the interface, you are mapping it to midi notes.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3