MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The unofficial, half-assed, Muffs Book of Bad Ideas
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author The unofficial, half-assed, Muffs Book of Bad Ideas
HIMA
replicating this post here cause i know most of you never visit the general forum...

As someone who came at modulars from the world of soft synths, I felt a bit lost 'cause of the lack of tutorial videos around modular techniques. Luckily, there are a handful of people who generously produce module walk throughs in video format and there is some printed material around as well. But without doubt, the very best resource is Muffs.

I took the time to surf the 80 pages of topics in the Modular Synth General Discussion sub-board. And every time I encountered a topic that hinted at the idea it might contain non-module-specific knowledge, I dived it. Pretty soon I realized two things:

1. People tend to ask the same things over and over. In some instances this
goes on for years…
2. There is enough info in there for a book.

Then I got the idea to share my learnings with the community. Sadly it happened too late in the process to think to credit the individual contributors. But everything is copied verbatim, so if you'd like to know who said what, just do a search.

Download The Book of Bad Ideas here: http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI

Hopefully you find this useful. At this point I'm thinking to continue updating the document. I'll try improve the format, structure and design when time allows. If you have something you'd like to directly contribute (ideas to improve the booklet or techniques), send it my way or better yet, post it at muffs!
tiny333
Great thanks for that smile

Yes we cat

Ha ha

thumbs up
richard
thanks for sharing this but you should know that doubling posting is considered a really bad idea here
HIMA
my bad. just wanted to try help out as many as possible.

Moderator? hello, please delete from the Euro sub-forum.
tiny333
Na leave it hes right folk seldom stray lol

thumbs up
Matos
This is great! It won't stop people from asking the same questions week after week, but it's a heroic effort non the less nanners
Noise for Fiction
Great,thanks applause
z3r01
Great effort, HIMA! Thanks for taking the time to compile all these. thumbs up
oootini
great! i have a folder of notes on my phone that i keep with exactly the same kind of patch tips. this is really great. kudos. Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
HIMA
oootini wrote:
great! i have a folder of notes on my phone that i keep with exactly the same kind of patch tips. this is really great. kudos. Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!

it would be great if you could share, then i can incorporate them into v1.2. i'm bound to have missed stuff. anyway, i'll start trawling the euro board soon to get moving on the next edition. but first i have to try everything in the PDF! Rockin' Banana!
Protofrangiste
Wow! Great job HIMA, thank you for that!
Very useful!

applause
AsceticUnderground
Great stuff HIMA, thanks for putting that together
Kalerne
thanks !
karmadelic
nice one … :-)
kimu
thanks HIMA !!!!

great job !!!!

deserve to be sticky!
nf
Really nice! Thank you.

I can imagine this being really useful when stuck for ideas.
Prunesquallor
This is brilliant!

Of course, everyone will be expecting you to rifle the Eurorack and 5U subforums as well, when you've got time. No pressure... whistlin'

Mr. Green
myecholalia
Great stuff, HIMA! When you mentioned this on Sunday, I wasn't expecting something this elaborate. Fantastic job.
Ekofisk
Great job! Thanks a lot!
doctorvague
Great job!!
oberkorn
WOW a most awesome contribution. much appreciated!
Entrainer
so, what is the best filter?
bodo
Great work, thanks for sharing this! applause
transistor logic
great job !!
jhindsight
As i'm Mr Noobington of 1 Begginer Street in Cluelessville i appreciate this pdf greatly.

Thanks
Hainbach
Thank you, this is great and very useful.
EarlJemmings
Awesome thumbs up
boinggg
Very cool, looking forward to reading through it.
randomseed
neat
sonicwarrior
That's a good start. Mr. Green

As this is such a nice community (if you go with the flow): What about a community driven project? Did you use some easily accessible program like Open or LibreOffice to make it?
ETP
WOW that answers me some questions!!

THANK YOU!!

SlayerBadger!
mckenic
Bad idea? This is a great idea!

Really well done! I was not expecting something so well done - I usually half ass these sort of things!

I collected some stuff earlier on, mainly AFG stuff but if it helps I can send it to you wink

thumbs up
sduck
This is a book that's just full of bad ideas. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

(downloaded)
eole
bravo ! applause
HueMonContact
Great work! Thanks for taking the time.
mackster
Thanks for taking the time to collate this - it's incredibly useful.

Cheers
Reality Checkpoint
Where on earth did you find the time?!

Wonderful resource, thank you.

we're not worthy
trom69
Very nice! Thank you.
southphillysynths
YES WE Teh forumcats YES WE stormcat YES WE Forumcat #2 YES WE Forumcat #1

SlayerBadger! rock on mang, thanks a lot I will be digging through this with a shovel soon.
vav
Awesome!
n_m
What an awesome effort! Thank you for compiling this! w00t
chiclothe
Great thanks for that .
HIMA
wow, if i'd known so many would be into it, i would have done a spell check...

v.2 is in the works. SlayerBadger!
n_m
HIMA wrote:
v.2 is in the works. SlayerBadger!

w00t w00t w00t w00t
analogue01
This is great!! w00t

Two threads that I think would be great additions:

Logic explained and Self generating patches

Edit: Oops just realized some of that is in there already hmmm.....
HIMA
analogue01 wrote:
This is great!! w00t

Two threads that I think would be great additions:

Logic explained and Self generating patches

Edit: Oops just realized some of that is in there already hmmm.....

Actually, looking back at the LOGIC thread I see there's a lot more I could have included. Initially I was just looking for patch ideas but I guess, in parts, it did start becoming something of a "dummies guide to...". So I'll re-look at those threads, and any others suggested here. Thanks for pointing it out!
gill555
Thanks a lot, this is very useful. Looking forward to the next edition we're not worthy
analogue01
A couple of interesting sequencing patch ideas in this thread:
binary sequencing thumbs up
dsu
Great piece of work HIMA. makes me wanna purrrrrrrr
Riggar
Thanks - much appreciated!
grex
wow this is really cool... gonna print it out and leave it beside my synth
SubliminalSandwich
Great work.. really useful resource..

we're not worthy
ben_hex
mckenic wrote:
Bad idea? This is a great idea!

Really well done! I was not expecting something so well done - I usually half ass these sort of things!

I collected some stuff earlier on, mainly AFG stuff but if it helps I can send it to you wink

thumbs up

I'd love any AFG stuff, pm me please thumbs up

And great work on all this, downloaded and appreciated,
eole
maybe this thread could fit : https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89460&start=0&postda ys=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
mckenic
ben_hex wrote:

I'd love any AFG stuff, pm me please thumbs up

And great work on all this, downloaded and appreciated,

Just grabbed from random AFG threads...
thumbs up
HIMA
I know this may make a few people waah but i've decided to not pursue any module specific content. The initial content, like the entire initial effort, was done for my own selfish enlightenment. So the module specific content related to modules I own... I was on the fence about including it.

Now having started in the eurorack sub-forum I realize there is simply too much module specific content. We'd land up with huge portions of BOBI with no relevance to the majority (and of no interest to me oops , i'm just too self involved...)

Anyway, as I get deeper into this I've come to feel it has to be a bit more focused.

Perhaps a version with module specific content can be started? Earlier in the thread there was the suggestion of a collective effort which could be made. Maybe something on Google Drive?

V2.0 will be the last update from me for a while. A brand new Cirklon will be arriving at my door step tomorrow and I suspect i'll be distracted for a long time...

Good news is that V2 will be about double the size and hopefully uploaded in the next few days! The whole effort has been super rewarding for me. Not just to see the appreciation from you guys but also for my investigations. I can't begin to tell you how awesome last nights was! w00t
TheToneCollector
Awesome! I'm definitely going to keep a copy of this around! SlayerBadger!
Amberclock
HIMA wrote:
I know this may make a few people waah but i've decided to not pursue any module specific content. The initial content, like the entire initial effort, was done for my own selfish enlightenment. So the module specific content related to modules I own... I was on the fence about including it.

Now having started in the eurorack sub-forum I realize there is simply too much module specific content. We'd land up with huge portions of BOBI with no relevance to the majority (and of no interest to me oops , i'm just too self involved...)

Anyway, as I get deeper into this I've come to feel it has to be a bit more focused.

Perhaps a version with module specific content can be started? Earlier in the thread there was the suggestion of a collective effort which could be made. Maybe something on Google Drive?

V2.0 will be the last update from me for a while. A brand new Cirklon will be arriving at my door step tomorrow and I suspect i'll be distracted for a long time...

Good news is that V2 will be about double the size and hopefully uploaded in the next few days! The whole effort has been super rewarding for me. Not just to see the appreciation from you guys but also for my investigations. I can't begin to tell you how awesome last nights was! w00t

I'm really waiting for that too! And as soon as I begin wiggling and have some experience I definitely want to contribute or help in any way possible wink
ben_hex
cheers mckenic

HIMA I think you're right. I wouldn't bother with anything module specific, it'll become massive very quickly. Great work on it so far btw smile
BHC303
Legend w00t

Thanks Mr. Green
GoneCaving
Excellent stuff, as a noob it's great to find something like that.
atte
Just found this, love it. Any chance you would share the original document? I'd like to have a pdb for my email book reader, I can make it myself if I have the document...
Jack Gull
So... which version is up now? the OP should add the version/date in the first post

(i have a version of the book, i don't know which one)

Very interesting read, i went "OOOOOOOOOH" many times grin
thefutureeaters
Thank you!!
daverj
The version in his signature is V2.0 while the one in the OP is V1.0. So be sure to get the one in his signature.
IR
Here's one that I think is not in there: not patching related, but if you're looking for a particular module, no need to start a thread; you can search by module type on Modular Grid. There are a few exceptions, for example it doesn't list all the modules that have inverters (although obviously that's not a main function).
M4R71N
Omg eek! Goldmine spotted MY ASS IS BLEEDING
CountZero
Thank you HIMA for creating this thing. And thank you atte for the necrothread! The first 3 pages are a fountain of "why the fuck didn't I think of that?", for whatever modules you own. Please Sticky!!!!! screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! thumbs up thumbs up
HIMA
Been a long time since i visited this thread. Nice to see the book is still finding fans. I'll be updating the link in the original thread.

Someone asked for the original file. It's done in Illustrator, so PM me if you want it.
mgscheue
It's been very helpful to me. Thanks so much for doing this!
nuromantix
In a spirit of contributing, rather than criticising, I noticed an error in the section on attenuation:

"Just think of an attenuator as an offset for a control voltage"

This is wrong. As you correctly state in the rest of the section, an attenuator scales a voltage, it doesn't offset it.
An offset is adding (or subtracting) a constant. Attenuation is dividing (or multiplying) by a constant.
Samba
This is great. Thanks for your hard work compiling this book.

The Logic Explained section and diagrams helped me out immensely.
Smais
thanks, this is the most useful resource I've found here. applause
WIZARDISHUNGRY
This is great but I wanted to add a point about ring mods and vcas
deesee
this is a fantastic collection.

thanks so much for the effort!

applause applause applause

i also wanted to say i'm glad this isn't module-specific. the general ideas are adaptable to whatever set up you're in front of.

reads like a modular-focused, practical version of the ableton 'making music' book.

very inspiring!
southboundpachyderm
Thanks, HIMA! This is a great general reference tool.
sparood
I have printed it, but yet have to read it.

I'm bad :(
mudlogger
wow, excellent - thankyou!

i added the link in modular magazine below thumbs up
FatBob
This is brilliant.
Thank you!
RJC
Thanks for that, highly appreciated!
TripJ
First time poster here.

I couldn't find an official Intro thread, but I had to comment on this Bad Ideas book. In a word, Thanks. I can only vaguely follow what is going on in lots of it but that's my lack of knowledge. But, I'm learning and this will coax me along. The quality of the presentation is WAY more than half-assed, easily double or triple-assed even Mr. Green .

I'll never out grow this book.

Thanks, again HIMA.
pentd
muy apreciado
osune
Hoi.
Just found the book, and honestly I'm not sure if the book tells me things i shouldn't do, or things i should/could do? The title of the book makes me confused. hmmm.....

EDIT: Just to be clear here, the text seems to indicate that these are 'coulds', but I always read it like 'wait there must be a catch I don't see'

EDIT EDIT: Maybe the catch is that there is no catch.... man i need more coffee
sduck
osune wrote:

Just found the book, and honestly I'm not sure if the book tells me things i shouldn't do, or things i should/could do? The title of the book makes me confused. :

do all the things
Licudi
Looks like a good read. Ta!
Silent.
Thank you.
buzzbuzz
This should be mandatory reading for all muffs newbs! Thank you for curating this collection of information!
Wray
Voting for a Sticky
gis_sweden
Recommend reading thumbs up
Reading - doing - ♪
knifey
wow. thank you for taking the time to compile this. really really great stuff. It's mind-blowing to read about patches and concepts way beyond what you think a module could be used for.
merchant
Agreed, thanks for doing this!
nimmen
I would say this should be sticky also.
Can't agree with all material 100% thou very frustrating
SnakePlissken
Wow this book is free? much appreciated

thumbs up
babblefrog
As an absolute complete newbie, this is very much appreciated!
razzkazz
Thanks for the effort, just found this, great smile
jwise
This "book" of bad ideas needs a bump from time to time.

As it has been 4 years since @HIMA first published this I wonder what the chances are that he may someday release V3?

In case you don't know....this is 50 pages of tools, techniques, and tips taken from Muffwiggler and compiled for our learning pleasure. Not specific to any particular modules but things that should be able to be done with your existing modules.
cptnal
Thought I'd copy & paste this down into my own custom condensed version. Turns out I needn't have bothered - it's not much shorter than the original d'oh!

+ 1 for sticky

And it goes to show how much collective wisdom is spread around these pages. Veteran Wigglers, we salute you! we're not worthy
3D_PIPES
This is great! Thx!!!
andrewhuang
So many amazing ideas in here! I wanna work through em all! Thanks!
chess1
very helpful!
shipShipley
Wow, this is such a generous offer, thank you! applause
Juanv101
great!!

useful!!

thanks
skryex
hey thanks for this
sutekina bipu-on
I had no idea this was here, but i just downloaded it. It will probably help me go back to lurking
nff
wonderful! I'm gona print it for bedside use!
JPatts
So excited to have this! Thanks for putting it together! Am I daft for thinking the Sync input of my oscillators was only for a clock input?
cptnal
nff wrote:
wonderful! I'm gona print it for bedside use!

You realise you'll never get any sleep? dizzy
TAKNU
thanks!!
Pille64
I can only express my sincere appreciation for this extensive work. Chapeau!
lisa
Splendid, thanks!
Xaqary
Thx X millions!
goldkalb
Thank you! going to work it out hihi
motorhead412
word, thanks!
tnktni
Thanks for this, will check it out
Natemasterflex
This was a bad idea..... Super PDF for inspiration! Thanks a ton!
mousegarden
Thanks a lot for this, just downloaded it, I didn't even know it existed either, it's an amazing resource.
arcanius
wow !!! thanks for this Guinness ftw!
HZR
Thats just great! Thank you very much
attacca
Thanks!
milkshake
we're not worthy
fragletrollet
SlayerBadger!

Much appreciated, should be stickied if it aint
Boing
just found this and downloaded. Many thanks HIMA.
chuckg
tried the link on the first post - all I got was PDF reader ads. Am I doing something wrong?
sduck
It'll take you to a mediafire page. There's a download link there, top right
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 5