MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Picture showing many modular formats
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Picture showing many modular formats
Electronic Battle

[edit Nov. 2011: the original URL failed, so thanks to doctoranalog for resurrecting it in the thread (May2011), and to Matrix for keeping it available]

I thought this was a useful shot to illustrate the relative module sizes: would it be worth keeping as a "sticky"?

[credit to John Loffink via Matrixsynth]

EB
emergencyofstate
That offers some really nice perspective.
sandyb
stickied Guinness ftw!
JohnLRice
That's excellent!

A version of the picture with the 'type/size' printed below it would be helpful especially to the newer folks. Might be cool as the Wiki site's front page, although I'm honored that one of my pics is up there now! hihi
fluxmonkey
VCOs from each mfr... except Blacet... what's up w/ that? conspiracy theorists want to know...
oozitron
Well, the Klang *does* have a voltage controlled oscillator in it smile

pretty much...

Drew
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
damn!!! super nice

I had no idea blacet modules are the same size as euro, why the hell does it use a different PSU!?!?!? hmmm.....

nevermind, that might result in a flamefest!!
emergencyofstate
Blacet/Frac are a butt hair bigger than euro.
DGTom
I think you'll find it's exactally 1 metric bees dick.

Why no Blacet VCO? Its a secret Ninja
decaying.sine
This is a great illustration. The quality, size, design, and color of Wiard make the modules overwhelming!
revmutt
Shouldn't there be a technosaurus just for the hell of it?
wetterberg
decaying.sine wrote:
This is a great illustration. The quality, size, design, and color of Wiard make the modules overwhelming!
don't forget the flash rash! zomg it comes with a haloz!
Babaluma
great pic.

the blacet vco is just too advanced and amazing to be shown beside the others.

twisted
CZ Rider
Nice photo! thumbs up
I feel left out though, of the three modulars I have here, two formats are missing. Can I add the Aries and Roland 100M series?
Shown next to the 3U wide Moog 901, probably the fattest/widest osc I have here. hihi
cornutt
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:

I had no idea blacet modules are the same size as euro, why the hell does it use a different PSU!?!?!? hmmm.....

If the story I heard was correct, Frac is a pretty old format, and the original modules in that format used unregulated 18V supplies. Each module was expected to have its own on-board regulator and filtering.
cornutt
BTW, I had no idea the Mattson format was that small! It looks tiny!
Electronic Battle
And don't forget these ones:

http://tinyurl.com/ybwq338

The trouble is, we need someone with a tape measure and a degree of skill to make one big montage as per my original post that started this thread; then we can see the relative scale of all of 'em.

I'd love to see the Aries and 100M scaled directly against the rest - I realise the Moog is effectively "5U" but seeing those two added and scaled to the original picture would be ideal!

EB
KNYST
Great picture, Electronic Battle!

...and the 3u measurement thingy:
Frac height: 133.35mm (5.25in)
Euro height: 128.5mm
russma
If CZ Rider or someone else can provide me with exact measurements for the Aries, 100M and Moog modules, I can add them to the original image. I'd also add the "type/size" as JLR requested.

The MOTM module in the original image looks like it might be a mock-up done in Photoshop, whereas all the others appear to be real units;

And, aren't Dotcom modules actually slightly taller than MOTM, (because of their "lip", as sandyB calls it)?
emdot_ambient
Interesting to see the CMS module in there...you know, I've never actually heard a CMS module. The VCO is certainly a dense panel with a dedicated CV mixer and everything. Nice!
Electronic Battle
Roland 100m modules are 230mm high by 104mm wide, according to

http://www.analoghell.com/studio/index.cfm?fuse=100m

And here's a picture of a 100m VCO module:

http://www.analoghell.com/studio/100m/images/112panel-big.jpg
mono-poly
Electronic Battle wrote:

EB

Is that a Steim black box system?
Is it yours?
toothless_wonder
Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw!
Electronic Battle
mono-poly wrote:
Electronic Battle wrote:

EB

Is that a Steim black box system?
Is it yours?

It is, and it isn't.

I visited Steim back in September and a very nice chap there showed me their "Zwarte Dozen Systeem" (sp?) and let me take a few shots of it in situ. It isn't really used any more but is there for occasional signal processing requirements if I remember correctly. Nico Bes was the Steim man.
cornutt
idiotboy wrote:

And, aren't Dotcom modules actually slightly taller than MOTM, (because of their "lip", as sandyB calls it)?

The top-edge-to-bottom-edge height is the same. What's different is the center-to-center mounting hole spacing. If memory serves, on the Dotcom modules it's 8-1/2", while on the MOTM it's 8-1/4".

Incidentally, for those who didn't realize it: The horizontal and vertical dimensions of the Dotcom format are identical to the old Moogs. (However, they use completely different power supply voltages.)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3