MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Intellijel uScale 2 Problem - Fixed!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Intellijel uScale 2 Problem - Fixed!
rockwoofstone
Does anyone know how to calibrate the uScale 2?

The only manual available is for the original model, and the first stage of the procedure is to adjust the "Scale Input CV" trimpot, but that doesn't exist on the v2 model. hmmm.....

I'm not too keen on ploughing on with the calibration procedure if it's now changed, and I may end up screwing things up!

EDIT: I ask as it appears to be the input scaling which is off on mine. i.e. a 0V input gives me a perfect 0V output (i.e. a "bottom" C). Increasing to a 1V input (with all stages selected, and no shift input CV) progressively runs up the lights on the scale, but rather than stopping at C 1 octave higher, keeps going to the D. If I increase another octave, it ends up at the F above the C where it should have been, with the problem getting worse the higher I go. The output voltages pretty much correspond to the notes the quantiser has selected, which to me suggests it isn't the output scaling which is off, but the input scaling.

EDIT: I've dug into this more (going through the other steps in the calibration process), and the outputs are all at the levels they should be relative to the note the quantiser has selected - it just appears that the input scaling is wrong, so the wrong note gets selected. The "Scale Input CV" trimpot would presumably correct this is I had a v1 model, but as it isn't there on the v2, I'm at a loss....

EDIT: Hmmm - problem confirmed, I think. If I scale my 1V/Oct input before I feed it into the uScale, such that it's producing something around 0.83V/Oct, then the uScale works perfectly over the entire range, with perfect outputs exactly as documented. So, the question is, how can I change the input scaling on the uScale V2?

Any ideas?
rockwoofstone
Bounced, as I've added a hole load of new info which may help someone come up with a suggestion. Fundamentally, it seems I just need to establish how to change the input scaling in the absence of the trimpot...? seriously, i just don't get it
oootini
i calibrated mine based on the v1 instructions with no issues. i can't remember the details off hand though. have you tried searching on here?
oootini
i calibrated mine based on the v1 instructions with no issues. i can't remember the details off hand though. have you tried searching on here?
rockwoofstone
Yeah - can't find anything. Calibration is working fine (again, using the v1 instructions) for the things I can change - it's just this scaling of the input that's the problem.
algorhythm
Have you tried attenuating the input?
rockwoofstone
algorhythm wrote:
Have you tried attenuating the input?

Yes (see my original post above) - if I attenuate down to ~0.83V/Oct, everything works fine, but you obviously shouldn't need to do that.
oootini
i presume the scale input trimmer was removed for a reason - most people don't worry about exact voltages going into the uscale, you're only concerned about having the output in scale. which you've done as you say.
rockwoofstone
oootini wrote:
i presume the scale input trimmer was removed for a reason - most people don't worry about exact voltages going into the uscale, you're only concerned about having the output in scale. which you've done as you say.

Except if you're doing something like feeding a 1V/Oct into multiple quantisers (for complex arrangements), you need 1V/Oct to be correct for each so they all align. The documentation does say it's a 1V/Oct input, so it should be able to handle it without having to massage the input yourself into something other than 1V/Oct! confused
rockwoofstone
rockwoofstone wrote:
oootini wrote:

Except if you're doing something like feeding a 1V/Oct into multiple quantisers (for complex arrangements), you need 1V/Oct to be correct for each so they all align. The documentation does say it's a 1V/Oct input, so it should be able to handle it without having to massage the input yourself into something other than 1V/Oct! confused

In fact even simpler than that, and - lets say you're playing a melody via MIDI, or any 1V/Oct source, and want to use the uScale to create an in-scale harmony via the B channel, then this would prevent you from doing that unless you attenuated the 1V/Oct input. I suspect it's simply a case that something is faulty on my uScale.
orangehexagon
At this point you've done so much testing... Id really just reach out to Danjel at Intellijel. Hes a super helpful guy. Emails have been bouncing so he said on Facebook to contact them there.

Im curious about this so definitely post your findings and keep us updated.
rockwoofstone
Thanks for the pointer - I'll try him on FB.
Sval-amb7
I had a problem with my uscale 2 and I was able to send it to danjel. He fixed it up quickly and didn't charge me. Great company, thank you intellijel!
dualmono
Well, I remember reading something like that it isn't recommended to supply the uScale with an already quantized CV (which a perfectly good 1V/oct voltage would be, I guess).

The 1V/oct label on the input might be misleading in that regard, that I understand.

Maybe Danjiel will shed some light on the labelling and your problem in general.
rockwoofstone
dualmono wrote:
Well, I remember reading something like that it isn't recommended to supply the uScale with an already quantized CV (which a perfectly good 1V/oct voltage would be, I guess).

Ah - I think you misunderstand. It isn't already quantised. It's just a regular 1V/Oct input, straight from an unquantised source. Quantising already quantised CVs is always unpredictable, but that isn't what I'm doing here.

This is about having a consistently mis-scaled input CV.
dualmono
Ah! I see!
Yep, you are right.
So basically you 1V going into it an if you send 2V you are not getting 12 halftone steps above you first (1V) note?

Did you confirm reliability of your voltage source?

Just to make sure:
Take an offset generator and measure for 1V, put it into the input of the uScale, activate all notes in the uScale and turn the offset generator up until you get 1 octave above your original note. Now take out the offset cv and measure it. We're around 2V normally, which we shouldn't see according to your analysis.
rockwoofstone
dualmono wrote:
Ah! I see!
Yep, you are right.
So basically you 1V going into it an if you send 2V you are not getting 12 halftone steps above you first (1V) note?

Did you confirm reliability of your voltage source?

Just to make sure:
Take an offset generator and measure for 1V, put it into the input of the uScale, activate all notes in the uScale and turn the offset generator up until you get 1 octave above your original note. Now take out the offset cv and measure it. We're around 2V normally, which we shouldn't see according to your analysis.

That's it! My original source was painstakingly measured to 1/1000th of a volt using 2 different meters, so I'm fairly confident about that lol

Your test is pretty similar to the ones I've been doing, but just to be sure....

Starting voltage 1V.
Increase 12 steps (i.e. should be the octave above), and the voltage required to do that was ~1.85V.
To get up another octave, the voltage went to ~2.63V...
...then again with 1 more octave, to ~3.5V.

Those values obviously have a little play in them due to the quantisation itself.
dualmono
Yeah, thats the 0.8V/Oct you attenuated to, to make it work as you stated in the other post.
Shoot Danjiel an email (and report back here just foi).
He will help you!

Good luck!
rockwoofstone
Thanks! I fired him a message earlier today, so I'll let you know what he comes back with.
rockwoofstone
Had a helpful response from Dan:

"On your version of the uScale there are two resistors that act as the divider for the input to scale 0-10V down to 0-5V. It sounds like the values may be a bit off and you are getting the slightly wrong ratio."

The module's going back to him, and he's going to sort it for me.

Job done! thumbs up
dualmono
Nice!
Monobass
oootini wrote:

hmm, no I don't agree, there are lots of times when I want the input to be accurately scaled. It's great to plug a keyboard into uScale because you can jam like a mad-man but never hit a bum note.
rockwoofstone
Just received my uScale back from Danjel - he changed one of the resistors on the voltage divider on the input, and it is now working perfectly. Great support - thanks!
Dcramer
Yeah looks like my new one has this issue.
What email did you use to reach him?
Thanks
dualmono
Glad you got it sorted!
Gonna check mine tonight.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2