MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[interest?] Nano-Compressor (planning stage)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author [interest?] Nano-Compressor (planning stage)
fonik
hi all,
i recently made a PCB layout for a super simple compressor based on the THAT4301/schematic. it would provide
threshold
LED indicators
gain
ratio
hard/soft switch
audio in
side chain in
audio out
LED indicators

i plan to do one PCB for front panel components (eurorack 4HE), and a circuit board mounted right-angled (module depth approx 1.7in ???)

there is no prototype built yet, i wanted to ask if there is any interest before doing this. if i did it just for me i would most likely build it on one single PCB with more HP, or maybe just a stripboard... and there have been built quite a few L-1 compressors lately.

edit 2 OCT 2013: i ordered the proto. hope everthing works out nicely
Blinkar blÄ
Count me in.
woodster
Yep, I'd be in for one.
logicgate
In for 1 PCB.
yan6
I'm in for one!

Thanks
rosch
yes interested
Rigo
Might be up for 1 or 2 ...
Piedwagtail
Certainly interested.
Though Attack Release would be desirable or easily hackable onto the back of the sidechain.

Isn't simple the one knob squeezer?

Gets me wondering about active eq splitting; multiple band compressors for modulars.
I run an active crossover hifi with classD sub 300Hz and valve driven monitors it really pisses on everything I tried before for electronic music.
mOBiTh
I'm definitely up for some small form factor compressors - at least a stereo pair or two... 8_)
regenbot
I'll take one thumbs up
dmitri
I'll take 2 please. 8_)
fonik
Piedwagtail wrote:
Certainly interested.
Though Attack Release would be desirable or easily hackable onto the back of the sidechain.

feature creep. hihi
you may want to go for the L-1 compressor, which offers almost anything one would want.

Quote:
Isn't simple the one knob squeezer?

super simple.

Quote:
Gets me wondering about active eq splitting; multiple band compressors for modulars.

modularity would offer this to you anyways, no? build multiple compressor modules, use bandpass filter modules, and there you go... maybe i should offer simple BPF along with this?
joshuagoran
In for one set!
hpsounds
That seems really interesting. I might take one !
Piedwagtail
Multi-band is simple of course; I was just musing about the difference between the audio we hear as samples in synth diy and the possibilities of what can be; your compositional work sounds well produced in that aspect.

VC features and surface mount aren't to my taste personally; I've got a tray of 4301 too.

Variable AR is important though for a tracking compressor; are you building a mastering compressor for a modular?
I know the AR scheme at THAT is a heavy add on, I researched it but it was a distant priority. Did you ever see the Pico compressor schematic?
There's a lot of other 4301 compressors in the field; Symetrix comes to mind; surprised there isn't a valve buffered one commercially too.

Time and possibilities....anyrate still interested!
negativspace
I'm interested in 2+.
fonik
Piedwagtail wrote:
Multi-band is simple of course; I was just musing about the difference between the audio we hear as samples in synth diy and the possibilities of what can be; your compositional work sounds well produced in that aspect.

i am not an english native speaker so i am not 100% shure if i got you correct.
anyways, i agree that a lot of samples of modules/modulars we hear here are not that well produced, however, this might be intended or at least part of the nature and purpose of these samples. i don't know, though.

Quote:
Variable AR is important though for a tracking compressor; are you building a mastering compressor for a modular?

i don't know, actually. i think even a simple compressor will add some flavour to a single voice synth line, all the more if it is heavily filtered (VCF). and a kind of ducking will be possible, too. it is a simple compressor and not meant to replace any outboard gear.

Quote:
VC features and surface mount aren't to my taste personally; I've got a tray of 4301 too.

so this diy prject fits your bill. TH only, no voltage control.

Quote:
I know the AR scheme at THAT is a heavy add on, I researched it but it was a distant priority.

correct. and i think L-1 already fills this gap.

Quote:
Did you ever see the Pico compressor schematic?
There's a lot of other 4301 compressors in the field; Symetrix comes to mind; surprised there isn't a valve buffered one commercially too.

thanks for this input. will research that!
i took a look at some older simple compressor designs (i.e. an old ELEKTOR using a compander IC), but then thought the THAT4301 is just offering so much for the buck...
oberkorn
yes interested in 2+

also in a BPF (esp. if it can be switched to band reject)...
fonik
quite a few posts within a few hours. i will go forward, i guess. tanks for all your responses. now i have to continue work on this.
i think about something along these lines:

SSKC by fonitronik, on Flickr

Piedwagtail
The Pico was a diy project that is now a commercial concern. Definitely a refined 4301 design; I don't think I snagged the map at the time or I lost it....

Symetrix was more 2150 than I thought although the 8 channel "simple" set squeezer used them

http://www.symetrixaudio.com/kb/488_1A02_sch.pdf

Love the THAT engineers...as fun as ARP....1k91,24k3,12k4,1M43 resistors....imagine the Tom Gamble style 2k,20k,10k,1M5 version hihi

How is your LED indication going to work?
Are you going with DN132 above/below threshold methodology?
Interesting that the 'hard-knee' schematic in that DN132 is just a jiggle plus a cap and minus two resistors...
it might be advantageous to implement a 'mod or straight' there....a hard knee would probably be more drastic as an effect than soft knee;almost very frustrating limiting!
mOBiTh
I built up a pico comp ages ago but lost the drive to finish it when i inherited a whole load of vintage compressors.

If I remember correctly it was also lacking attack and release controls, which the commercial version has. I think the DIY version is more like the lunchbox version? Either way I don't think the DIY pico is that far removed from the standard THAT circuit (haven't looked at it for years though) so I was a little surprised by how closely guarded it all became.

Must finish it some day - spent a lot on the transformers...
fonik
Piedwagtail wrote:
....a hard knee would probably be more drastic as an effect than soft knee...

thanks for the hint/suggestion. i might be able to squeeze a subminiature switch in there to switch between hard and soft.
raisinbag
Cool a couple simple compressors might be nice in my drum case.
mOBiTh
fonik wrote:
quite a few posts within a few hours. i will go forward, i guess. tanks for all your responses. now i have to continue work on this.
i think about something along these lines:

nice!
mcop
Will these run on 15v? And if so is there any chance of dual power connector pads as you do on your other boards?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6