MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

pad, strings synth $800 budget
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author pad, strings synth $800 budget
four.am.designs
Already picked up Mopho for bass. Looking for poly synth, thinking Tetra. Spied at Juno on Big City. Recommendations?
MrDys
Korg Wavestation, Kawai K5000S, Yamaha TG/SY series. All well below $800.
four.am.designs
Guy has a Wavestation SR for sale in my area, $200, may be worth, and leave room for a few more.
chinard
i've always liked yamaha cs6x for strings and pads.
i guess thats why i have two eek! (well, keyboard and rack version actually)
Strings seem to be something that rompler based synths seem to be really damn good at and those can be had dirt cheap these days.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
waldorf XT
alexP
Oberheim Matrix 6... Capable of seriously complex patches!

And cheap as chips too!

alexP
Babaluma
korg wavestation ex

oberheim matrix 1000

they are what i use for pads anyway.
Luka
alesis ion is good
ix
wavestation for sure - about $200 is right , also checkout a yamaha tx7 or dx7 - some of the best pads you can get for a certain feel - if your ever flush the fs1r is stunning for pads also , also the m1r / m1 , another great little buy is the korg o5rw half rack , i just use to edit them all with soundiver and really they all make amazing sounds when you get beyond the presets.Drop me a mail if you get a wavestation - ive a zip file with just about every synth patch bank on the planet i can upload .....

ps keep your eye out for a cheap d550 rack - that does some of the most unique pads . . . really moody.

four.am.designs wrote:
Guy has a Wavestation SR for sale in my area, $200, may be worth, and leave room for a few more.
chinard
ix wrote:
ive a zip file with just about every synth patch bank on the planet i can upload .....

Incidently, because the wavestation is ALSO part of the Korg Legacy collection (softsynth package) there is a large library of patches that are not only still available but are continuing to be put out by KLC users.
They have a big colection over on korgforums.com

Sounddiver is completely dead since apple bought Emagic for Logic. You just cant get it anymore.
Right now the only attainable universal librarian/editors are MOTU Unisyn and Midiquest XL.

And yeah, +1 for the ION...
The ion is also amazing at strings and pads and a whole lot more. And FINALLY there is a decent editor out for it now from hypersynth.com
valis
I have two Junos, a 106 and a 60 and have never felt lacking in pads and strings. The Juno 60 is especially great for strings, pads, and warm tones. Plus it has a really nice filter. If you can get a DCB to MIDI converter for a Juno 60 you'll be good to go (if MIDI is your thing). I've never played a Tetra so can't say anything about those..
Babaluma
can you load the new user legacy wavestation patches into a real wavestation?
THM
If you accept VA, why not a Roland JP-8000 (or JP-8080 module) ? Polyphonic, nice strings & pads.

Otherwise I'd say Roland Juno- or JX-series for strings, and the cheapest - but imho still very underrated - a Roland Alpha-Juno (or MKS-50 module).
The Juno series have the nicest and warmest real analog sound, but they offer a little less wide variety of sound possibilities if you're asking me.

The Wavestation and K5000S like mentioned hereabove are excellent for pads.
SepticUnderground
a Roland D50, D550, Varios/Vsynth VC1 ofc smile
chinard
Babaluma wrote:

pretty sure you can. seriously, i just don't get it

dont have a real wavestation to test it out with.
Babaluma
chinard wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

pretty sure you can. seriously, i just don't get it

dont have a real wavestation to test it out with.

cool, will have to check it out soon!
tIB
what about a monomachine... not really a string synth but lovely pads can be had in poly mode.
tIB
what about a monomachine... not really a string synth but lovely pads can be had in poly mode.

EDIT: just read your budget... might be a hundred dollars or so off.
synthetic
The real Wavestation sounds better than the plug-in. It just does. I wish it weren't the case, and shouldn't be because the plug is 24-bit. Wish I'd kept mine. For plug-ins I'd be more likely to use Omnisphere or Zebra.

Not sure what used Andromedas sell for these days but that's my #1 pad synth by far. Probably over your budget, but worth it if you can stretch. Sell that old thing you never use. Rockin' Banana!
John Nonjohn
Best pads/strings machine: Roland MKS-70!
qu.one
Analog (dco's): Roland Juno-106

Digital: Roland sh-32 (great sampled waveforms in it - and perfectly recorded Roland drums and super compact)

Digital: Novation nova or supernova
plord
Wait, we're on page 2 and you still haven't bought mhtones' K5000S?

Just do it. Learning how to program it may kill you, but it does pads and strings for DAYS, has usable FX (if used lightly) including a nice ensemble, and the keyboard feel on the S model is BUTTAH. Careful use of the harmonic envelopes can give sounds that evolve for literally minutes, and you can drop 4 of those into a multi. It's a modern classic.
dude
korg lambda es 50. old school analog cheap enough and is limited but perfect in its limitedness.

of course junos can do it but without some of the character.

a no vote on the ion

i got a super cheap roland rs09 . it is a piece of shit but man have i used that thing more than i could ever have realized. and the built in chorus circuit can be used aside from the synth itself.

so many good strings

good luck, of course you have likely finished your quest by now?
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
roland SH32 is insanely underrated, it was my first synth ever!

awesomely squelchy digital filter
four.am.designs
still haven't bought anything. My "buddy" still has not mailed off my MPC 1000, and his cell is not working now. I better be covered under Paypal. Try to trust someone.....thanks for all the suggestions, all great
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2