MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Problem Solved] Is my Kommander broke/fried?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik  
Author [Problem Solved] Is my Kommander broke/fried?
climbingtyler
Hi!
Just got this today, but i cant seem to get it to work. Hopefully this is something simple, so maybe you guys can help out....

I have CV1 output into my VCO 1v/oct to control pitch, but nothing happens... Please help!

My power supply is 9v / 700ma
I know that it says 9v / 500ma but would that really fry this?

Thanks!
-Tyler

UPDATE
Everything is working fine now! Luckily I did not fry it! thumbs up
Thanks for all your help!
dan_k
climbingtyler wrote:

My power supply is 9v / 700ma
I know that it says 9v / 500ma but would that really fry this?

Thanks!
-Tyler

Higher mA is fine. The supply has to provide a minimum of 500 mA. The higher number just means your supply is over the required spec.

The voltage shouldn't be higher but that is matched so you are fine there.

What is the polarity the connector on your supply? The Kommander wants to see a negative tip. Reversing that could cause problems.

Email the Koma guys directly and see what they say.
climbingtyler
dan_k wrote:
Higher mA is fine. The supply has to provide a minimum of 500 mA. The higher number just means your supply is over the required spec.

The voltage shouldn't be higher but that is matched so you are fine there.

What is the polarity the connector on your supply? The Kommander wants to see a negative tip. Reversing that could cause problems.

Email the Koma guys directly and see what they say.

I'm not sure...
How do I check that? It it is reversed am I fucked?
dan_k
It should usually state on the power supply.

Often it's denoted by a symbol showing the tip and sleeve and which is positive and which is negative.

You can see here in the power supply section of the Kommander manual.
http://www.koma-elektronik.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/kommand er-manual-1-A4-page.pdf

Assuming that the polarity is correct and it's a negative tip there's always the possibility that that power supply is dead.

Do you have another one that matches the required spec that you can test with?
climbingtyler
Just checked.
Looks like it was the wrong polarity... d'oh!

Does that mean i fried it? waah
dan_k
If you have a correct supply and it works you're good.

Otherwise talk to the Koma guys. I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Always ensure the voltage and polarity are correct and the mA meet the minimum required.

As an aside since I see you've started a euro system.
Be especially careful about the polarity when plugging in modules. there's lots of modules that will fry by powering them in reverse so never assume the orientation of the cable or that the red stripe is oriented correctly.

Do a visual inspection from the module. Most manufacturers will mark the -12 side. Ensure that you can follow the ribbon from there and that it matches the -12 side of the bus board.
climbingtyler
Yeah,
I have been extra careful with my eurorack stuff. When I was looking into all of this, I read about all the different things to look out for.

I guess I just thought that all ac/dc power supplies were the same... Hopefully I didn't just make a $90 mistake... Dead Banana
dan_k
If it did fry it can probably be repaired fairly easily so I wouldn't worry.

It's all a learning experience and better now than when you're plugging in a $500 module. smile
climbingtyler
dan_k wrote:
If it did fry it can probably be repaired fairly easily so I wouldn't worry.

It's all a learning experience and better now than when you're plugging in a $500 module. smile

Thats a relief! we're not worthy
If I did fry this, how would i fix it or how much would it cost to fix it?

Yeah. Hopefully I never fry any gear...
When I bought my VCOb from Nathaniel (Paperproducts) off of eBay he told me the same the about making sure the power cables are correct before powering anything up, so I haven't had any issues with my eurorack!
tektoktiktak
Wouter from KOMA here... The KOMMANDER is reverse polarity protected, but this is only if you figure out soon that something is wrong and unplug it soon... Best is to check it with the right PSU (9v, 500mA, center negative), when the purple led's light up red you should be back in battle mode!

Else you have to send it back to us and hopefully we can fix it... When it still doesn't work, please contact support@koma-elektronik.com!
tektoktiktak
<double post>
kuxaan-sum
I have the correct psu adapter if you want to test with mine before sending back or purchasing one.

Let me know.
climbingtyler
kuxaan-sum
Im gonna try to find one today. If I cant find one then do you wanna meet somewhere on friday?
climbingtyler
tektoktiktak
Good to know. Hopefully its not fried, but I might have to send it your way.
kuxaan-sum
Sure, just let me know. thumbs up
climbingtyler
kuxaan-sum
Cool! Do you think RadioShack will have the power source I need, or would you recommend somewhere else?
climbingtyler
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!!!!

I got the correct power supply and we are in business!! nanners
osterchrisi
Yeay! Great to hear!! Guinness ftw!
climbingtyler
Yeah I was worried i fried it because I probably spent 2 hours trying to troubleshoot it with the wrong power supply, so luckily no damage was done!
Guinness ftw!
dan_k
Awesome, glad to hear it worked out for you climbingtyler

Happy wiggling, or in this case is it waving and wiggling? w00t
kuxaan-sum
Sorry,

Missed your previous post. Radio Shack is usually my first stop for stuff like
this. Fistell's or Microcenter as 2nds depending specifically on item.

Glad it is working.
I dig mine!
w00t
tektoktiktak
climbingtyler

Good to hear! SlayerBadger!
climbingtyler
Thanks again everyone for all your help!
You guys rock!
nanners w00t nanners

-Tyler
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik  
Page 1 of 1