MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mark ii Firmware updates
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Mark ii Firmware updates
Lakbra
Hello fellow wigglers, could someone please help me with some information regarding this subject.
First, I just want to make sure I get the right tool to do this, which according to what the governor has said is a Pickit2
Will this one do? :
Pickit 2 Starter Kit

When I get this Pickit tool, what program would I need to install the firmware? If any. Is it a straightforward process? Should I beware anything?

Where can I find the latest firmware?

I'm interested in the HDmkii firmware which seems to be the only one out for the mkIIs, I might be wrong though.

In another thread the governor also said that in order to update the Tyme Sefari there would have to be a board instaled to the module and then the firmware would be released, anybody have any news on this?

I've never updated firmware on any module so I really appreciate any help you guys might provide.

Thank you!
rydan
The one you linked to seem to be some kind of third party clone. Guess it should work, but you might want to go for the original one, made by Microchip.

Then, email the governor and ask him to send you the firmware rom file.

If you have a windows machine, it's pretty straight forward. You just download and install the software (driver and programming utility) from microchip.

If you have a mac (as I do) you should be able to use a command line utility. I didn't get that to work however, so I just started winXP in a virtual machine and used that for programming, and it worked just fine.

After that, you remove your HDmk2 from the case, power should be disconnected as well. Then, just attach the pickit2 to the appropriate connector (a bunch of pins) on the backside of the HDmk2 (there's an image of how it should be connected in the HDmk2 thread, from richard devine), start the programming utility, select the rom file you got from scott. press "write" (or whatever the button is named in the software), watch the blinking leds for a few seconds until the programming software says it's completed successfully. Done!
Lakbra
Thank you for the help Rydan!
we're not worthy

Exactly the info I needed.
I work with mac but I'll save myself the troubles and find a windows pc to do this on.

This should be the original Pickit from Microchip Corporation:

http://www.amazon.com/MICROCHIP-CORPORATION-PICKIT-STARTER-KIT/dp/B00B 886BT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380315649&sr=8-2&keywords=pickit2

thumbs up
sgh
rydan wrote:
If you have a mac (as I do) you should be able to use a command line utility. I didn't get that to work however, so I just started winXP in a virtual machine and used that for programming, and it worked just fine.

And a small addition: if you are on OSX and do not like to use the command line, you can also download MPLAB X and use the included MPLAB Integrated Programming Environment (mplab_ipe) to update your module with a graphical tool.
rydan
Yeah, but you don't need the whole starter kit, just the programmer will do fine (and cost about half as much). Microchip Part Number PG164120

sgh: Thanx for the MPLAB X tip!
Lakbra
Could someone be real awesome and link me to the latest firmware update file for the mkii HD
Guinness ftw!
ether
Ditto that.

And is there any real chance of me noobishly frying my HD2, or is this process bonehead proof?
governor blacksnake
Putting up a website soon with firmware files.
ether
smokin'
Lakbra
eyes...
Jamisnemo
Any chance you can post that firmware somewhere?

Also, I think I just fried my HD MKII... a lose wire was kicking around behind my damn rack somehow.

I'm going to try to hook it up to the pickit 3 I've got and hope I can see the chip... but it's probably something else zombie
Lakbra
eyes... Ninja Ninja Ninja eyes...
Lakbra
Bump!
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
bump again.....
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
confused
Jamisnemo
It's possible to get it from the harvestman directly...

Send em an email.
analogue01
Firmware is live.

Is there a walk-through somewhere for doing the upgrade via command line on a mac?
therk
Anyone know what they do? Is it worth upgrading anyway, or is it a just-if-you're-seeing-problems kind of thing?
analogue01
therk wrote:
Anyone know what they do? Is it worth upgrading anyway, or is it a just-if-you're-seeing-problems kind of thing?

It used to say, but now it doesn't... hmmm.....

HD was an FM bug fix (and maybe tracking stability?), Zorlon is internal clock stability, PH... I can't remember... except for user added wavetables. TS will be sound quality.
a scanner darkly
From the FB page:
Quote:

I've completed new firmware for the following devices:

Piston Honda mkII - some improvements to pitch and wave stability
Zorlon Cannon mkII - great improvements to internal osc stability, ext clk timing accuracy, and sound quality of mix outputs.
Malgorithm mkII - higher maximum sampling rate (dry is dry), volume jumps in waveshaper mode fixed, better control stability and audio quality. Requires adaptor board for programming.

A website featuring the firmware files will be published very soon. I am assembling the documentation now. After NAMM I will release a similar update for the Tyme Sefari mkII.
therk
Cool, thanks. Sounds like it's probably worth having a go!
analogue01
analogue01 wrote:
Is there a walk-through somewhere for doing the upgrade via command line on a mac?
Paranormal Patroler
Totally interested in the TSmkII upgrade, but I do want to know what the update will do. The general "better sound quality" doesn't cut it! We need numbers. hihi
analogue01
I just did the updates on OS X using this: http://www.microchip.com/forums/m705796-print.aspx

Worked like a charm.

Before that I couldn't get the command line going and the other program posted up-thread didn't agree with Mavericks.

Happily updated now thumbs up
makaton
analogue01 wrote:
I just did the updates on OS X using this: http://www.microchip.com/forums/m705796-print.aspx

Worked like a charm.

Before that I couldn't get the command line going and the other program posted up-thread didn't agree with Mavericks.

Happily updated now thumbs up

yes this is no brainer app to use. Quick plug and play.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3