MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Kevin Drumm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Kevin Drumm
Sinewaves
Where to start?

Hopefully I get to see him live one day.

He was using a Doepfer at one point, I think.

I notice he's using a laptop a lot more these days, possibly Max. seriously, i just don't get it

Big fan of his output, anyway.

Hougaard
Problably some obvious choices, but I always return to Sheer Hellish Miasma and Imperial Distortion.
Kingnimrod
I was driving around one day and thought my car was about to explode. Had forgotten I was listening to"Imperial Distortion."
continuum
That's an old pic of Kevin - he got rid of the Doepfer a while ago. That might be my old laptop in the photo though. I loaded it up with a bunch of my OS9 Supercollider and Max stuff. I kind of miss some of those old patches. Vintage computer music!
Reese P. Dubin
Saw him play thru a 20,000 watt PA a couple weeks ago. Way way too short but man it was heavy stuff. Lying flat on the ground I actually left my body for a good 10 minutes. That doesnt happen enough anymore.
BOETTKE
that Electronic Harassment tape from last year on Cardinal was great, I gotta say "Snow" and "Purge" are the jams though. Also Aaron Dilloway & Kevin Drumm CD on Hanson was great, each track is one of them remixing the other's source material.
aen
So, I know I'm not contributing much here, but I was intorduced to Kevin Drumm because my local LIBRARY had the cd of Pure Hellish Miasma. I saw the cover, and thought, "well, this has got to be fucked up." and checked it out on principle. Best library score ever, I think!
hermes
I think this record is one of his best:
http://www.discogs.com/Kevin-Drumm-Land-Of-Lurches/release/316005
Sinewaves
Some very odd questions, but a video interview with Kevin Drumm nonetheless:

m0rb1d
Saw him open for Sunn 0)) a few years back, awesome experience.
Sharktootth
The Hospital release he contributed to this year is amazing. It's a return to the IMPERIAL DISTORTION sound...only in my mind perfected (even more?).
strangeonlooker
Sharktootth wrote:
The Hospital release he contributed to this year is amazing. It's a return to the IMPERIAL DISTORTION sound...only in my mind perfected (even more?).

Sounds awesome, I'd like to listen to this. Is this the Various Auras tape?
Avjr
Sharktootth wrote:

Will have to check that out.
apfEID
anyone else subscribed to his bandcamp? almost too much good stuff up there.
meursault
I haven't checked his bandcamp though.

So he abandoned modulars and now is only using laptops live (+ for producing)?...

I really like his album "Relief" - and the cover is sooo good.

Btw, do any of you guys know which synths he used in "Sheer Hellish Miasma"? Discogs stated that he used some analog synths, but I think it's too difficult to identify which ones.
turin horsey
Saw him at SFEMF a couple years back, great set, wasn't just the heavy stuff, though it definitely got there. In fact I remember for the first few minutes the retired couple sitting in front of me repeatedly asking eachother if the set had started yet (he was working a drone at a very high pitch).
mbleming
Kevin is one of my all time favorite artists...I was soooo happy when he started up his bandcamp page. Check out the Redundant Phase release for some Buchla abuse... https://kevindrumm.bandcamp.com/album/redundant-phase
sopresada
He's a bona fide genius. Apparently the doepfer system he had was Jim O'Rourke's, they were flatmates in Chicago at one point. If I'm not mistaken the John Fahey album "Womblife" was recorded in their flat and Kevin Drumm also appears on that doing some general background vibes.
sopresada
continuum wrote:
That's an old pic of Kevin - he got rid of the Doepfer a while ago. That might be my old laptop in the photo though. I loaded it up with a bunch of my OS9 Supercollider and Max stuff. I kind of miss some of those old patches. Vintage computer music!

That must be you who says:

"Yeah... it's got a built-in mic... right here above the screen FLICK FLICK"

On the Pita split. Amirite?
MisterG
Have to say, he (along with Jason, Mort & Aine) were fantastic at St John's earlier this week.
Tbh, I'd heard of, but not actually heard of Kevin beforehand so went in completely fresh.
Incredible dynamic range.
Anyone seeking the obliteration of thought-this is the way..
continuum
sopresada wrote:
continuum wrote:

I had forgotten about that - can't recall if that is me or Kevin saying it. I'll have to dig the disc out.

Kevin is currently using a Pd patch I made for him - vari-speed and pitch sample mangler with delays and sequencing of parameters. Fun stuff!
myecholalia
Quote:
Kevin is currently using a Pd patch I made for him - vari-speed and pitch sample mangler with delays and sequencing of parameters. Fun stuff!

aw, that sounds intriguing. starting to look into pd myself now because of organelle.
you wouldn't be able to share bits of this or other patches that you've done?
there might be a pd patch sharing discussion already on the forum somewhere.
thanks!
continuum
myecholalia wrote:
Quote:

aw, that sounds intriguing. starting to look into pd myself now because of organelle.
you wouldn't be able to share bits of this or other patches that you've done?
there might be a pd patch sharing discussion already on the forum somewhere.
thanks!

The Pd tutorials are pretty good at demonstrating how to build up sample based patches. Studying and understanding those will get you a long way to making interesting sounds.
vingtdieux
If you can listen to him in live, don't miss it and with no earplugs !
sopresada
continuum wrote:
sopresada wrote:
continuum wrote:

I had forgotten about that - can't recall if that is me or Kevin saying it. I'll have to dig the disc out.

is on bandcamp too - https://kevindrumm.bandcamp.com/album/split-with-pita

glad to hear he's using PD, that seems to suit him somehow.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2