Small electric shock... Can't be normal

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Post Reply
User avatar
matt.patey
Common Wiggler
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 10:06 am

Small electric shock... Can't be normal

Post by matt.patey » Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 pm

I was surprised when after turning on my Ensoniq ESQ-1 to get a small shock when touching the patch cable after plugging it into the mono out. Has anyone else experienced this before? The synth has a 220v supply so I'm using a converter to use it here in Canada---could this have anything to do with it?

User avatar
Muff Wiggler
wait, what?
Posts: 7815
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:19 pm

Post by Muff Wiggler » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:36 am

wow.... can't say I've ever had such a thing!

sorry I can't offer any help

User avatar
Kent
Large Member
Posts: 11612
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post by Kent » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:40 pm

I guess that 'converter' means 'step-down transformer', right?

Your synth is probably using the 1/4" jack's shield as a path to ground since the ground path is broken by using the step-down. Something in your system is putting some voltage on the shield (which is connected to the jack's collar) and you be gettin' zapped.

Not knowing what your setup is & having consumed the majority of a fine bottle of wine; I'm takin' a stab in the dark on this one.

User avatar
Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:13 pm
Location: next to Serious Fun!

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:38 pm

first thing i'd do is make sure everything is properly grounded...

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”