MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oberheim SEM patch panel is the modular equivalent of....?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Oberheim SEM patch panel is the modular equivalent of....?
mhtones
Hi Guys,

I pre-ordered an Oberheim SEM patch panel with the thought of integrating with my future eurorack modular. Since I'm going to limit myself to a 6U case, I'm looking to get additonal modular functionality sans hp.

I'm thinking that the SEM will give me the equivalent functionality of:

2 VCOs (Square and Saw wave each and sync)
2 ADS envelopes
1 LP/BP/HP SEM filter (I think there's a notch hiding in there too)
1 LFO (Sine only...no modulation input on the lfo and not fast enough to generate audio)
1 VCA

and with very limited functionality:
1 mixer ? w/o attenuation (since there are 2 ext audio inputs pre-filter)

Did I miss anything?
Thanks!
Mark
mhtones
Edited original post to hopefully get some hits. hmmm.....
REwire
Are you simply trying to break down what modular elements make up a SEM or wanting to make a modular to interface with the SEM?

There are many other cool modules not represented in a SEM like 24db Filters, Random, LP gates (QMMG), Sequencing, Waveshaping, Freq Shift, RingMod, S&H, Digital Oscs like Hertz Donut, Better LFO's like MFB or uLFO and much else.

Does this patch panel fit into a Euro frame and tae up HP in your case? I didn't know anything like that existed.

Dan
mhtones
Hi ReWire,

Essentially, I'm trying to understand what functionality I'll be able to patch into eurorack modular. This will help me determine what modules I may not need when planning. For example, since the SEM provides 2 ADS Envelopes, then I could hold off on putting 2 ADSRs (A-140) in my planned 6U for now and use the space for something else. I don't plan to actually place the SEM in the 6u, although that would be a cool module..kinda like a a-111-5 or something. Mr. Green

Are there other functions (not listed above) provided by the SEM that I could skip for now? Or have I covered them in my original post? Or have I totally overestimated the SEM's modular capabilities and will these functions have too many limitations to be useful?

Hopefully I'm not talking nonsense.
Thanks,
Mark
wetterberg
nah that's about right. You say you're getting a uLFO too? That's a damned cool addition, I think.

I'd recommend... sitting on your ass and waiting for this to arrive, really. You may get a lot more mileage out of this than you think.
mhtones
Yeah, I was thinking about just getting a Beauty case worth of modules to patch with the SEM, but there's just too many cool modules being made right now to limit myself to 32hp. sandyb convinced me to consider a 6U case, but man those monorocket 9Us are tempting...haha, I see what you guys mean about modular addiction. I don't even have my first module yet! Gotta sell some synths to fund. Someone buy my K5000S, Ion and K2500R, pleeeeaaase...
slaughterhousesam
does anybody know the voltage (pitch tracking, cv range, audio range) standards that the patchable sem works off?

I dont remember seeing it confirmed anywhere that it can be directly patched with a eurorack, or if there is some attenuation/amplification required.
wetterberg
getting a 9U case is a really good idea... for sure.
deastman
slaughterhousesam wrote:
does anybody know the voltage (pitch tracking, cv range, audio range) standards that the patchable sem works off?

I dont remember seeing it confirmed anywhere that it can be directly patched with a eurorack, or if there is some attenuation/amplification required.
I haven't done any serious testing, to be honest, but it seems to work just fine. Tried it with an A-155 sequencer, A-145 lfo, Wogglebug, and Kenton Pro 2000.
sandyb
mhtones wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking about just getting a Beauty case worth of modules to patch with the SEM, but there's just too many cool modules being made right now to limit myself to 32hp. sandyb convinced me to consider a 6U case, but man those monorocket 9Us are tempting...haha, I see what you guys mean about modular addiction. I don't even have my first module yet! Gotta sell some synths to fund. Someone buy my K5000S, Ion and K2500R, pleeeeaaase...

if you're going to go as far as gettting 6U then i agree with the esteemed mr wetterberg that you may as well get 9U MY ASS IS BLEEDING
mhtones
There you go again sandyb. Urging me to spend more money. sandyb secretly owns AH/NB/BCM hihi

Well, actually I haven't filled up my 6U plan yet, so have room in it for additional modules. I'm still trying to figure out the MN Maths and whether I "need" it. hmmm..... I'll probably be posting a "newbie help me with/critique my modular plan" post in the near future to get feedback on my plans. But yes Mr. Wetterberg, a uLFO is most definitely in the plan (maybe 2). SlayerBadger!
loudone
i got my sem recently and also was how i decided to buy into a modular system.
It all rocks.. I filled up 6u fast. Dead Banana
now about to fill up another 6u with a maths and seq o2 i just bought. Dead Banana
GAS hit bad, real bad. This web site is bad. BAD BAD BAD... :p
I might just buy a lexington some time and limit myself to only that hahahahahahah twisted

By the way, the sem is awesome alone, and with the patchablity. woah
Johnisfaster
mhtones wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking about just getting a Beauty case worth of modules to patch with the SEM

I don't know if you were intending on actually getting a beauty case but I think it should be said that for the price the beauty cases are kinda a bad deal. you'd be better of with a monorocket mission 6 or something when you compare dollar to hp.

do like wetter said, wait till the sem arrives and play with it for a bit then see what you wish you could add and go from there. Otherwise you run the risk of buying things you don't need (which we've all done)
mhtones
Johnisfaster wrote:
do like wetter said, wait till the sem arrives and play with it for a bit then see what you wish you could add and go from there. Otherwise you run the risk of buying things you don't need (which we've all done)

Thanks for the advice guys. thumbs up That's probably what I'll do. At first, just buy a few eurorack modules to supplement my SEM and other synths. And I figure that way, I can hold off on buying other modules until I eventually get my first dedicated eurorack oscillator....then all bets are off! nanners nanners nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1