MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge panels: La Bestia, Edelweiss version II [SHIPPING]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Author Serge panels: La Bestia, Edelweiss version II [SHIPPING]
fonik
it's a simple addition. hwoever, it depends on the panel, since i want to do the PCB for the offered panel actually.
monstrinho
fonik wrote:
it's a simple addition. hwoever, it depends on the panel, since i want to do the PCB for the offered panel actually.

It could be done with a pull-switch pot without changing the current panel design. thumbs up
jarvis
nevermind, my question was answered in the first post! very frustrating
monstrinho
Just a thought; it looks like there's room on the panel for input attenuators on the ring mod. When using ring mods, I often find that there are a wide range of sounds available if you attenuate one or the other of the channels, so I think this would be a useful addition.

(edit) Just realized I should have posted this to the panel design thread. Oops!
opsysbug
1x WAD Pcb here please. I'll go with panel if I have to...
ChrisR
I'm in for a WAD PCB for sure.
southphillysynths
Id be in for a pcb, maybe two Dead Banana
chinard
put me down for a set

(that would be 1WAD pcb + 2x 555 pcb + panel, Canada)
demian
Interested in 2 WAD pcb's.
LED-man
1 pcb + 1 panel to germany
oberkorn
"1 pcb, Sweden"

thanks!
terrafractyl
So as this thread gets longer and longer I'm starting to wonder, where are all you people getting your SAD1024 Chips?
Is there some unspoken of wiggler stash getting around??

Cause I would Dearly love to build a WAD, but I kind of wrote it off after spending a bit of time looking for em on google.

Yet it seems that somehow 30 odd people on here either have some chips safely tucked away or are willing to fork out 150$+ for a pair of chips that could end up being fakes...
????
confused!
Reese P. Dubin
I wonder the same. When the first run of PCBs happened much more quietly, there was a mad run on the internet for SADs. That had to be the biggest depletion in decades. Will there be enough for another round?
Isaiah
I've thought the same thing myself.
However, my plan is to see if I can replace the SAD1024s with MN3007s and additional circuitry on sub-boards.
One thing that will matter is how the SADs are used (each pair of 512-stage BBDs in series or parallel).
I don't know if it will be possible to retain all functionality, and I don't suppose it will sound like a WAD anymore, but if it works I don't mind hihi
Luka
I wonder how many SAD1024s actually still exist
This is run is definitely going to eat into that stock

Shame for anyone who needs to repair gear that uses them
bubblesound
i'd be up for a set, PCBs and face plate.
i'm a little concerned about the chip situation as well. does anyone know what serge is currently using in the WAD? they can't still be using SADs.
snufkin
bubblesound wrote:
i'd be up for a set, PCBs and face plate.
i'm a little concerned about the chip situation as well. does anyone know what serge is currently using in the WAD? they can't still be using SADs.

I wouldn't worry I have my lil supply I will be using for a WAD, I have been saving them for when the PCB becomes available for years and I assume most other interested parties have some in their parts bin

I believe serge still use the sad1024 as I don't believe (from my limited understanding) any other current production BBD or alternative tech can be clocked high enough for some of the interesting effects

if it was redesigned with a different chip it would still be a great module but not the same

I do feel bad for the vintage effects that wont be repairable once the last sad1024s run out but I would rather have a wad than repair an ADA flanger (which I have) ect which sound amazing but don't exploit the component to it's full potential IMO
Isaiah
snufkin
I very quickly realised it's unlikely I'll ever build a WAD.
I'm still interested in a PCB though, as I do think (without seeing the schematic) it will be possible to use MN3007s with additional circuitry.
Some functionality might be lost, and it won't be a WAD, but I'd be pretty happy with it whatever it is.
Apologies for repeating my thoughts from the previous page hihi
monstrinho
snufkin wrote:

I do feel bad for the vintage effects that wont be repairable once the last sad1024s run out but I would rather have a wad than repair an ADA flanger (which I have) ect which sound amazing but don't exploit the component to it's full potential IMO

I agree. It's kind of a shame that some gear will be left for dead when the chips fail. Who knows, though, maybe at some point someone will make an exact one for one clone of the SAD1024. Chip technology advances all the time, so it isn't something I'd consider impossible. I've managed to get a few SAD1024s through buying "as-is" semi-functional guitar pedals etc, thinking I would fix them up, but with the possibility of building a WAD, I'd much rather use them for that. The WAD is really unique in a way that an old MXR flanger (for example) never will be.

On another note, I've noticed by testing the Reticon chips in circuit that no two chips are exactly alike. They each have slightly different rolloff and distortion characteristics and definitely sound different when pushed to self oscillation. I'm just wondering if Serge has a procedure to select chips for the circuit? I doubt that any of us have the luxury of having enough chips on hand to be able to select two "perfect" ones, but I'm curious if anyone knows if this is something Serge does?
snufkin
monstrinho wrote:
snufkin wrote:

I agree. It's kind of a shame that some gear will be left for dead when the chips fail. Who knows, though, maybe at some point someone will make an exact one for one clone of the SAD1024. Chip technology advances all the time, so it isn't something I'd consider impossible. I've managed to get a few SAD1024s through buying "as-is" semi-functional guitar pedals etc, thinking I would fix them up, but with the possibility of building a WAD, I'd much rather use them for that. The WAD is really unique in a way that an old MXR flanger (for example) never will be.

On another note, I've noticed by testing the Reticon chips in circuit that no two chips are exactly alike. They each have slightly different rolloff and distortion characteristics and definitely sound different when pushed to self oscillation. I'm just wondering if Serge has a procedure to select chips for the circuit? I doubt that any of us have the luxury of having enough chips on hand to be able to select two "perfect" ones, but I'm curious if anyone knows if this is something Serge does?

yeah thats exactly my thoughts

however one caveat is that certain chips will never be remade as the type of processes and machines that carry them out are so obsolete there are no factories still tooled up to produce that type of circuit and it would prohibitively expensive to rebuild such a plant, not sure if the SAD fall in to this category but if not why have cool audio not reproduced some ? food for thought
bubblesound
Isaiah wrote:
snufkin
I'm still interested in a PCB though, as I do think (without seeing the schematic) it will be possible to use MN3007s with additional circuitry.
Some functionality might be lost, and it won't be a WAD, but I'd be pretty happy with it whatever it is.
Apologies for repeating my thoughts from the previous page hihi

the pins are different. you might be able to make some sort of daughter board but it's my understanding that the MN series is not at all compatible with the SADs
Isaiah
bubblesound

My post from the previous page:
Isaiah wrote:
I've thought the same thing myself.
However, my plan is to see if I can replace the SAD1024s with MN3007s and additional circuitry on sub-boards.
One thing that will matter is how the SADs are used (each pair of 512-stage BBDs in series or parallel).
I don't know if it will be possible to retain all functionality, and I don't suppose it will sound like a WAD anymore, but if it works I don't mind hihi

The additional circuitry includes CMOS buffers for the clock signals.
I've seen sub-boards made for using an MN3007 in a SAD1024-based pedal.
Because of the flexible nature of how the SAD can be configured with its dual delay lines, the sub boards have to be designed on a per application basis, as there is no "one size fits all" solution.
The clock might need its frequency doubling too.
jooks
Sorry not interested anymore.
e-grad
I'd like one pcb, no panel.
nordlead
Updated initial post - please read before posting any new (pre)orders.

For now only orders including a panel will be considered.

If you've already expressed your interest in a panel, please update your post to reflect how many fonik / Thomas Henry 555-vco pcbs (in Serge/CGS format w00t ) you would like - thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Page 2 of 32