MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge panels: La Bestia, Edelweiss version II [SHIPPING]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Author Serge panels: La Bestia, Edelweiss version II [SHIPPING]
prscrptn
Looks Great! thumbs up
nordlead
prscrptn wrote:
Looks Great! thumbs up

Thanks a lot! Guinness ftw!

oldenjon wrote:
nordlead wrote:
The N÷COM is the original Serge circuit, one of the next modules to join the Serge by R*S family. I did a first prototype a little while back and then learnt some interesting details from Serge which I plan to reflect in the final board. (I'm not familiar with the CGS VC divider)

Looks good. Just so you know it's not 'N÷COM', It's '÷N COM' as in 'Divide by N Comparator'. Glad to hear you are doing PCBs, I have a panel (personal project thumbs up) coming that has an NCOM on it too. Will they be CGS cheap?

Also, the Boolean Logic / Pulse Divider is not technically a 'Serge' invention. It was developed by Rex after the formation of STS, i.e. perhaps it should not be branded as Serge?

Cheers

Thanks, Jon! As I just answered on FB, you're right about the name, I kind of liked the idea of mixing "N-COM" with the "÷" sign, as I find the ÷ at the beginning looks a bit unusual. Actually, I just looked up the old docs where the panel says "N÷COMP", the pcb was named COM (205) (without the P) though ... will probably change that to '÷N COM' as that name seems more common. And I don't have any prices yet.

Re the Logic / Pulse divider - I'm not trying to imply that they are Serge modules (not sure about their origins either) - there were and will be a few non-Serge modules in la Bestia, too, like (obviously / most likely) the Dual 555 VCO. Also I'm not sure who came up with the idea of a Pulse Divider or Boolean Logic first - Rex does include an implementation in some of his panels (which are branded as Serge), however the CGS circuit is a different one anyway AFAIK.
lucid
nordlead wrote:

Here's an idea for the Edelweiss 2015 edition:

This would allow using the following R*S pcb sets (including component pcbs to avoid wiring and stacking):

- 2x DUSG (SMT)
- SSG (SMT)
- RandomSource (= SSG + Noise / S&H in 2" SMT)

Also (through-hole) pcbs for N:COM (rare as a hen's teeth!) and Voltage Processor could be made available, most likely with component pcbs.

yeah, time to enter the serge territory nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!
please make it as much "no wiring" as possible. we're not worthy
not that I cant do wiring, but it is time consuming and sometimes confusing d'oh!
nordlead
lucid wrote:

yeah, time to enter the serge territory nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!
please make it as much "no wiring" as possible. we're not worthy
not that I cant do wiring, but it is time consuming and sometimes confusing d'oh!

It's peanut butter jelly time!

A first batch of ÷N COM pcbs (including component pcbs) has been ordered w00t

I can make them available separately if there is interest ...
oldenjon
nordlead wrote:

A first batch of ÷N COM pcbs (including component pcbs) has been ordered w00t

I can make them available separately if there is interest ...

Yes please thumbs up
lucid
nordlead wrote:
Can't give any price estimates yet - especially the SMT production depends on the size of the run and makes things not so easy to calculate.

Can you at least confirm that it will be available for this Christmas?
m0d01
if you're still checking for interest, I'm 100% in for a La Bestia.

100% on that, too.

hyper

EDIT: and a couple of those NCOM pcbs, too.
nordlead
lucid wrote:
Can you at least confirm that it will be available for this Christmas?

I can get the panels produced in about 3-4 weeks, maybe even faster - what's really hard is to sync this with the production of a number of pcbs, specially with the SMT pcbs. So the easiest way might be to send the panel in production and then ship it with whatever else is available (and ordered ;-) when the panel gets in.

This might mean that shipping cost cannot be optimized by sending everything together, but packaging those full panels is anyway quite a bit of time and effort (they are shipped as express letters and weight limits apply), things would definitely get more complicated if I tried bundle every order as one huge letter ...

Please let me know if this approach would work for you guys.
lucid
nordlead wrote:
So the easiest way might be to send the panel in production and then ship it with whatever else is available (and ordered ;-) when the panel gets in.

For me this might be an option, but I would say that maximum in two shipments. One when panel will be available, with what you will have in stock and second with rest of order. Otherwise I will be lost with what I got and what should still arrive. And it is easier to explain to my wife (hides)
colorbars
Interested in 1 la bestia, 1 edelweiss and pcbs w00t any idea on prices for these yet?
orpheus
hello there!! I'd love to buy 1 la bestia, 1 edelweiss and some pcbs too! SlayerBadger!
rpc
I'm in for 1 la bestia, 1 edelweiss & pcbs as well.
Entrainer
I could be in for both panels + pcbs.

Question though, do you feel having two SSGs + a Random Source between two panels is a bit much?

I could see a mixer or two coming in handy between the Bestia + Edelweiss...
jpauty
There are two cv processor on the edelweiss, which can be used as mixers.

Two SSG I don't know if that's too much. I don't want it to be remove from la bestia though, it's the panel I'm sure to take and I do want an SSG hihi It's a swiss knife module, so maybe you can't have too much of them, like DUSG.
prscrptn
Entrainer wrote:
Question though, do you feel having two SSGs + a Random Source between two panels is a bit much?

Multiple SSG's is great for evolving patterns, add a Random Source and you've got rhythms for days.

It's like having a Creature and Mayhem paired together, a match made in heaven, too much fun! thumbs up
Chaotic
Entrainer wrote:

No no no no.
I have three SSGs and a Random Source in my system and sometimes all of them are patched as Random sources.
Thats nice and chaotic hihi
Using one random pulse to trig my TPS and another to change the direction of it. (Need some bi-directional switches) I can listen to it in hours hihi
Here Im also use a random pulse for vertical step on the seq.

I have the first run of La Bestia and Edelweiss and the only thing I can say: BUY and Rockin' Banana!
Entrainer
OK, I'm convinced!
nordlead
Quick update - this panal run is quite a logistical challenge - the difficulty is to sync pcb and SMT production with the front panels - right now all companies I work with are really busy, so production times have gone up. I can (most likely) get the front panels done in about 3 weeks, but it’s hard to plan / predict when which pcb can be available too - in particular as I don’t know how many of you are definitely interested and if you want the R*S SMT versions (of the SSG for instance) or prefer to go CGS … Also, SMT production is quite a challenge on the sourcing end which costs a lot of time …

So I’m thinking about simply taking orders for the front panels next week and placing the order for those and then focus on the pcbs step by step and depending on interest - on the pcb side it will be difficult to get production, especially SMT production, done before Christmas - might work with some pcbs, but most likely not all. I already heavily depend on those companies squeezing my small jobs in as a favor (they prefer to do 1000+ batches), and there’s a limit to how often that can be done … (and I’m already stretching that limit anyway). I can't give exact prices for the SMT pcbs yet as this depends on volume and parts needed (some pcbs like the new Stereo Mixer with those THAT and OPA4134 ICs being more expensive than others) - I rough first guess is that a SMT pcb set (front panel pcb + main pcb including all SMT parts) will end up somewhere between € 100 and € 150. Also, I have a couple of (new, some proto) boards for these panels here which I have not been able to test / validate yet - hope to get there by the end of the week ...

Please let me know if this approach works for you (and if you're definitely in as I need to determine the size of the front panel order) - I fully understand that it would be more convenient to have everything ready at the same point in time, maybe even custom so you can pick whatever pcb selection you prefer, but I simply don't see how I can manage that ...

Thanks! w00t
jpauty
What is your proposal for the la bestia ? Same as the one on the first page ?

Do you envision providing panel and component PCB for as many modules as possible (DUSG, SSG, stereo mixer, NCOM) ? This seems highly desirable, considering it removes the tedious wiring step.
SMonk
nordlead wrote:

Please let me know if this approach works for you (and if you're definitely in as I need to determine the size of the front panel order) - I fully understand that it would be more convenient to have everything ready at the same point in time, maybe even custom so you can pick whatever pcb selection you prefer, but I simply don't see how I can manage that ...

Thanks! w00t

Sounds fine to me. I'm definitely in for one each of the panels, at least.
yan6
SMonk wrote:
nordlead wrote:

Thanks! w00t

Sounds fine to me. I'm definitely in for one each of the panels, at least.

Ya im cool too, also would lik to bump my order from just the la bestia to both panels please. w00t
lucid
Still interested in one Edelweiss panel
edit: Yes and all PCB as they will come in your shop. I will buy them as they will appear in shop. No need to struggle with logistics and savings on shipping.
jpauty
I'll upgrade to one of each + any PCB or smt stuffed PCB possible. No request for the delivery on my side. Make it the simplest for you.
prscrptn
+1 edelweiss panel/pcb's and +1 la bestia panel/pcb's thumbs up
rpc
I'm still in for 1 of each + any pcbs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Page 20 of 32