Serge panels: La Bestia, Edelweiss version II [SHIPPING]

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

prscrptn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by prscrptn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Looks Great! :tu:

nordlead
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nordlead » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:18 pm

prscrptn wrote:Looks Great! :tu:
Thanks a lot! :guinness:
oldenjon wrote:
nordlead wrote: The N÷COM is the original Serge circuit, one of the next modules to join the Serge by R*S family. I did a first prototype a little while back and then learnt some interesting details from Serge which I plan to reflect in the final board. (I'm not familiar with the CGS VC divider)
Looks good. Just so you know it's not 'N÷COM', It's '÷N COM' as in 'Divide by N Comparator'. Glad to hear you are doing PCBs, I have a panel (personal project :tu:) coming that has an NCOM on it too. Will they be CGS cheap?

Also, the Boolean Logic / Pulse Divider is not technically a 'Serge' invention. It was developed by Rex after the formation of STS, i.e. perhaps it should not be branded as Serge?

Cheers
Thanks, Jon! As I just answered on FB, you're right about the name, I kind of liked the idea of mixing "N-COM" with the "÷" sign, as I find the ÷ at the beginning looks a bit unusual. Actually, I just looked up the old docs where the panel says "N÷COMP", the pcb was named COM (205) (without the P) though ... will probably change that to '÷N COM' as that name seems more common. And I don't have any prices yet.

Re the Logic / Pulse divider - I'm not trying to imply that they are Serge modules (not sure about their origins either) - there were and will be a few non-Serge modules in la Bestia, too, like (obviously / most likely) the Dual 555 VCO. Also I'm not sure who came up with the idea of a Pulse Divider or Boolean Logic first - Rex does include an implementation in some of his panels (which are branded as Serge), however the CGS circuit is a different one anyway AFAIK.
Random*Source: Serge, JHaible & more ... (also on facebook.com/randomsource)

(please contact me through email rather than pm: rc at randomsource . net - thanks!)

lucid
Common Wiggler

Post by lucid » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:22 am

nordlead wrote: Here's an idea for the Edelweiss 2015 edition:

This would allow using the following R*S pcb sets (including component pcbs to avoid wiring and stacking):

- 2x DUSG (SMT)
- SSG (SMT)
- RandomSource (= SSG + Noise / S&H in 2" SMT)

Also (through-hole) pcbs for N:COM (rare as a hen's teeth!) and Voltage Processor could be made available, most likely with component pcbs.
yeah, time to enter the serge territory :nana: :banana:
please make it as much "no wiring" as possible. :hail:
not that I cant do wiring, but it is time consuming and sometimes confusing :doh:

nordlead
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nordlead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:33 pm

lucid wrote: yeah, time to enter the serge territory :nana: :banana:
please make it as much "no wiring" as possible. :hail:
not that I cant do wiring, but it is time consuming and sometimes confusing :doh:
:banana:

A first batch of ÷N COM pcbs (including component pcbs) has been ordered :party:

I can make them available separately if there is interest ...

(please contact me through email rather than pm: rc at randomsource . net - thanks!)

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:57 pm

nordlead wrote: A first batch of ÷N COM pcbs (including component pcbs) has been ordered :party:

I can make them available separately if there is interest ...
Yes please :tu:
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

lucid
Common Wiggler

Post by lucid » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:10 am

nordlead wrote: Can't give any price estimates yet - especially the SMT production depends on the size of the run and makes things not so easy to calculate.
Can you at least confirm that it will be available for this Christmas?

m0d01
Common Wiggler

Post by m0d01 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:53 am

if you're still checking for interest, I'm 100% in for a La Bestia.

100% on that, too.

:hyper:

EDIT: and a couple of those NCOM pcbs, too.

nordlead
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nordlead » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:01 am

lucid wrote:Can you at least confirm that it will be available for this Christmas?
I can get the panels produced in about 3-4 weeks, maybe even faster - what's really hard is to sync this with the production of a number of pcbs, specially with the SMT pcbs. So the easiest way might be to send the panel in production and then ship it with whatever else is available (and ordered ;-) when the panel gets in.

This might mean that shipping cost cannot be optimized by sending everything together, but packaging those full panels is anyway quite a bit of time and effort (they are shipped as express letters and weight limits apply), things would definitely get more complicated if I tried bundle every order as one huge letter ...

Please let me know if this approach would work for you guys.

lucid
Common Wiggler

Post by lucid » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:51 pm

nordlead wrote: So the easiest way might be to send the panel in production and then ship it with whatever else is available (and ordered ;-) when the panel gets in.
For me this might be an option, but I would say that maximum in two shipments. One when panel will be available, with what you will have in stock and second with rest of order. Otherwise I will be lost with what I got and what should still arrive. And it is easier to explain to my wife :hide:

colorbars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colorbars » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:28 am

Interested in 1 la bestia, 1 edelweiss and pcbs :party: any idea on prices for these yet?

orpheus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by orpheus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:22 pm

hello there!! I'd love to buy 1 la bestia, 1 edelweiss and some pcbs too! :sb:

rpc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpc » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:27 pm

I'm in for 1 la bestia, 1 edelweiss & pcbs as well.

Entrainer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Entrainer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:26 am

I could be in for both panels + pcbs.

Question though, do you feel having two SSGs + a Random Source between two panels is a bit much?

I could see a mixer or two coming in handy between the Bestia + Edelweiss...
5,159 custom drum samples for electronic music
made from 4 modular systems, drum modules, and some nice analog outboard processing

202 Instruments for Ableton Live/Push (128s), NI Kontakt, and Logic EXS24
41 Kits for NI Maschine, FXPansion Geist, Ableton Drum Racks, and Octatrack Sample Chains
http://www.drivenmachinedrums.com

jpauty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jpauty » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:00 pm

There are two cv processor on the edelweiss, which can be used as mixers.

Two SSG I don't know if that's too much. I don't want it to be remove from la bestia though, it's the panel I'm sure to take and I do want an SSG :hihi: It's a swiss knife module, so maybe you can't have too much of them, like DUSG.

prscrptn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by prscrptn » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Entrainer wrote:Question though, do you feel having two SSGs + a Random Source between two panels is a bit much?
Multiple SSG's is great for evolving patterns, add a Random Source and you've got rhythms for days.

It's like having a Creature and Mayhem paired together, a match made in heaven, too much fun! :tu:

Chaotic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chaotic » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:07 am

Entrainer wrote: Question though, do you feel having two SSGs + a Random Source between two panels is a bit much?
No no no no.
I have three SSGs and a Random Source in my system and sometimes all of them are patched as Random sources.
Thats nice and chaotic :hihi:
Using one random pulse to trig my TPS and another to change the direction of it. (Need some bi-directional switches) I can listen to it in hours :hihi:
Here Im also use a random pulse for vertical step on the seq.
[video][/video]

I have the first run of La Bestia and Edelweiss and the only thing I can say: BUY and :bananaguitar:

Entrainer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Entrainer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:32 am

OK, I'm convinced!
5,159 custom drum samples for electronic music
made from 4 modular systems, drum modules, and some nice analog outboard processing

202 Instruments for Ableton Live/Push (128s), NI Kontakt, and Logic EXS24
41 Kits for NI Maschine, FXPansion Geist, Ableton Drum Racks, and Octatrack Sample Chains
http://www.drivenmachinedrums.com

nordlead
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nordlead » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:34 am

Quick update - this panal run is quite a logistical challenge - the difficulty is to sync pcb and SMT production with the front panels - right now all companies I work with are really busy, so production times have gone up. I can (most likely) get the front panels done in about 3 weeks, but it’s hard to plan / predict when which pcb can be available too - in particular as I don’t know how many of you are definitely interested and if you want the R*S SMT versions (of the SSG for instance) or prefer to go CGS … Also, SMT production is quite a challenge on the sourcing end which costs a lot of time …

So I’m thinking about simply taking orders for the front panels next week and placing the order for those and then focus on the pcbs step by step and depending on interest - on the pcb side it will be difficult to get production, especially SMT production, done before Christmas - might work with some pcbs, but most likely not all. I already heavily depend on those companies squeezing my small jobs in as a favor (they prefer to do 1000+ batches), and there’s a limit to how often that can be done … (and I’m already stretching that limit anyway). I can't give exact prices for the SMT pcbs yet as this depends on volume and parts needed (some pcbs like the new Stereo Mixer with those THAT and OPA4134 ICs being more expensive than others) - I rough first guess is that a SMT pcb set (front panel pcb + main pcb including all SMT parts) will end up somewhere between € 100 and € 150. Also, I have a couple of (new, some proto) boards for these panels here which I have not been able to test / validate yet - hope to get there by the end of the week ...

Please let me know if this approach works for you (and if you're definitely in as I need to determine the size of the front panel order) - I fully understand that it would be more convenient to have everything ready at the same point in time, maybe even custom so you can pick whatever pcb selection you prefer, but I simply don't see how I can manage that ...

Thanks! :party:

jpauty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jpauty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:18 am

What is your proposal for the la bestia ? Same as the one on the first page ?

Do you envision providing panel and component PCB for as many modules as possible (DUSG, SSG, stereo mixer, NCOM) ? This seems highly desirable, considering it removes the tedious wiring step.

SMonk
Common Wiggler

Post by SMonk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:03 am

nordlead wrote: Please let me know if this approach works for you (and if you're definitely in as I need to determine the size of the front panel order) - I fully understand that it would be more convenient to have everything ready at the same point in time, maybe even custom so you can pick whatever pcb selection you prefer, but I simply don't see how I can manage that ...

Sounds fine to me. I'm definitely in for one each of the panels, at least.

yan6
Ultra Wiggler

Post by yan6 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:32 am

SMonk wrote:
nordlead wrote: Please let me know if this approach works for you (and if you're definitely in as I need to determine the size of the front panel order) - I fully understand that it would be more convenient to have everything ready at the same point in time, maybe even custom so you can pick whatever pcb selection you prefer, but I simply don't see how I can manage that ...

Sounds fine to me. I'm definitely in for one each of the panels, at least.

Ya im cool too, also would lik to bump my order from just the la bestia to both panels please. :party:

lucid
Common Wiggler

Post by lucid » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:59 pm

Still interested in one Edelweiss panel
edit: Yes and all PCB as they will come in your shop. I will buy them as they will appear in shop. No need to struggle with logistics and savings on shipping.
Last edited by lucid on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpauty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jpauty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:21 pm

I'll upgrade to one of each + any PCB or smt stuffed PCB possible. No request for the delivery on my side. Make it the simplest for you.

prscrptn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by prscrptn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:00 pm

+1 edelweiss panel/pcb's and +1 la bestia panel/pcb's :tu:

rpc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpc » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:18 pm

I'm still in for 1 of each + any pcbs.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”