MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge panels: La Bestia, Edelweiss version II [SHIPPING]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Author Serge panels: La Bestia, Edelweiss version II [SHIPPING]
nordlead
Hey guys,

the last week has been crazy, can't say that getting that printing fault sorted out was a smooth ride, however, I got a batch of panels which arrived by express this morning - now with the correct print:

Timing is a bit unfortunate as I'm about to (finally!) go on holidays, so I was hoping to get them 2 days ago (which didn't work out). However, I managed to ship the first (correct) ones out today.

Shipping will continue around August 8. So as you guessed, I shipped the faulty ones right back. Also, today's shipment is not the full batch, the rest should be here when I'll resume shipping.

If your order including a faulty panel has already arrived (or will in the next week or so), please send me an email (not pm) to arrange for a replacement.

Again sorry about this hiccup, I'm just glad that it could be resolved.

And yes, all R*S panels (and panel pcbs) are designed for Emerson / Johnson (now Cinch) banana jacks, available from Mouser (e.g.: black = 530-108-0903-1) -
as jpauty pointed out, that's the reason for the fancy milling so that the jacks are automatically aligned and cannot turn.
APETECHNOLOGY

i got my panel.
i am going for it.
thanks Ralf!
APETECHNOLOGY
i don't care for blue!
Rigo
PCBs and correct panel arrived today w00t
Zealot Vague
A registered letter from Germany is waiting at the post office hyper
APETECHNOLOGY
can anyone else building la bestia ii confirm,that the cv processor pcb is reversed/incorrect?

confirmed! remove rear tabs on middle pots so they do not contact large caps!
thanks, Lucid.
lucid
APETECHNOLOGY wrote:
can anyone else building la bestia ii confirm,that the cv processor pcb is reversed/incorrect?

I did not start with the build, but when looking on the PCB and picture of the panel you are right, it is mirror picture. Maybe pots and jack can be assembled from other side - opposite to instructions which are on the PCB, but I dont know how pots will behave (will be reversed?). Also be careful when mounting power connector from other side.

edited: well and two pots mounted from the other side will be damn close to smt caps. seem to be that supporting tabs on the pots is touching capacitor ground connection. so recommended only for advanced builders...
APETECHNOLOGY
after building this panel tonight, i wish i would have drilled out the trigger hole to 8mm or 21/64th.
there is a collared lip that does not allow for the switch to seat correctly.
counter sinking the inside of the panel would work as well.
super tight,and nicely designed!
thanks for the hard work Ralf!
evilspock
Received my panel/boat/PCBs, very high quality. Thanks for the awesome work Ralf!!! applause thumbs up Rockin' Banana!
GryphonP3
Going to pay my remainder and order pcbs soon smile just curious, is there anyplace with a rundown of the technical differences between your boards and the cgs boards? I see the info on DUSG improved tracking (very appealing) but I'm curious which other pcbs really differ from the cgs ones? For instance, ncom vs cgs voltage divider. Your SSG vs CGS ssg. Is it mainly that yours come pre-soldered with smt parts? I actually love doing the building work so would prefer to solder my own thru hole boards, but want to make sure I'm not missing many functional improvements by doing so.

Very excited to start work on this panel once i finish the two on my bench now smile
GryphonP3
Also (sorry if this has already been answered, read back about 15 pages and couldn't find anything on it) but are the pre-soldered boards populated to run on 12v or 15v power?
Permette
Hi

It's 12V (written at the end of modules build doc : http://randomsource.net/serge_panels)
Cheers !
nordlead
lucid wrote:
APETECHNOLOGY wrote:

I did not start with the build, but when looking on the PCB and picture of the panel you are right, it is mirror picture. Maybe pots and jack can be assembled from other side - opposite to instructions which are on the PCB, but I dont know how pots will behave (will be reversed?). Also be careful when mounting power connector from other side.

edited: well and two pots mounted from the other side will be damn close to smt caps. seem to be that supporting tabs on the pots is touching capacitor ground connection. so recommended only for advanced builders...

Damn, you guys are right! The Dual CV-PRO pcb is indeed mirrored, very sorry about this! very frustrating Can't believe I didn't notice this ... Here are some ideas how to deal with this:

- as suggested, flipping the board and mounting the potentiometers on the "wrong" side basically works - I did not bother about the pots touching the electrolytic caps and didn't run into any issues (looks like they might not actually touch), guess there should be no voltage on either the cap casing, nor the back of the pot, still might indeed be a good idea to use a bit of insulating tape. Make sure you observe the direction of the power header on the other side! The "side wall" of the MTA 156 header has to be away from the small MTA100 header.

- Just flipping the pcb means all pots will be reversed, too, i.e. everything works, but the pots go from positive to negative. This can be manually fixed by cutting 5 traces on each side and adding some wires / links. Here's a pic:

Again very sorry about this hiccup. I have already redone the layout to fix this. (Bare) PCBs should arrive next week, for anyone not afraid of SMT soldering and ideally able to remove the 2 OPA2134 ICs on the current boards, I'm happy to send you a fresh (naked) replacement board - these will be straight from pcb production, no SMT works done - not sure when I will be able to get that done...

If you can't live with the pots being reversed and also can't do the manual fix and can't handle the SMT soldering of a new board, let me know and we'll figure something out ...
DomMorley
Has everyone received their panels? Nothing here yet... seriously, i just don't get it
nordlead
I've already shipped most of the orders - logistics is already killing me, so I'm afraid I don't find the time to individually contact people who ordered to ask them to pay the REMAINDER (http://randomsource.net/serge_panels) - if you did pay the remainder and did not receive your panel / order within a week or two, please get in touch by email. If you didn't pay the remainder yet, please simply do so here.

Usually panels are shipped within a few days from receipt of the REMAINDER.

Also, if you asked for any order changes or similar a while back, please remind me again as it is really hard to keep track ...

Quick status update: A couple of Edelweiss II panels (and pcbs) are still available.

SSG pcbs are currently out, but should be back in a few days. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Corrected Dual CV Pro pcbs have arrived, if you're not comfortable fixing the mirrored one (see earlier post), please contact me to get a corrected (bare) pcb. I'm also looking into getting the SMT works done on these - since this would require quite a bit of extra cost for SMT and parts, I'll try to figure out if there is a way that makes sense...
DomMorley
Ah - not sure I noticed a remainder being needed! d'oh!

Pretty sure that means I haven't paid it then.

Just paid now anyway. Hopefully not for a second time! hihi
DomMorley
Finally got time for building! I've got a ton of B100k and no B50k pots. Is it cool to use B100k for all these PCBs? I know in previous R*S modules it's been cool to use B100k, but just wanted to check before I dive in.
DomMorley
Asked on FB too, and for anyone interested in the answer to this question, it's:

100k should work in most or all cases, however, i'd have to check specifically. In general, where the pots are just attenuators or a variable voltage source (i.e. connected to +12V and -12V or GND), 100k should work just as fine. Can't think of any instances where the value should really matter but don't rely on my poor memory ...

And he also said that the DUSGs should be fine with b100k.
jpauty
Anybody has a mouser project for the NCOM and the divider/boolean ? Should we start a build thread ?
Rigo
jpauty wrote:
Anybody has a mouser project for the NCOM and the divider/boolean ?

Maybe here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153153&highlight=
jpauty
So, now that we have a yummy edelweiss II, what about its little brother ? we're not worthy
lucid
jpauty wrote:
So, now that we have a yummy edelweiss II, what about its little brother ? we're not worthy

My guess is that it depends when NTO will be ready. On FB there were just two teasers for eurorack format, but nothing about release date.
btw also waiting for NTO to be ready in 4U nanners
jpauty
Hi fellow edelweiss builders Guinness ftw!

Here is a compiled bom for edelweiss I made to simplify part ordering. Might be helpful to others.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H4Kjd7Dmf7WRcH-pslo3SY7MFCeaiu 9t-Q1dWtShxFs/edit?usp=sharing

If you find a mistake, tell me !

Rockin' Banana!
bence
here is my build (with a slightly different color scheme for the bananas)

top quality pcbs, panel and case, and an easy build - thank you Ralf! we're not worthy

only suggestion (as mentioned before by APETECHNOLOGY) is a bigger hole that goes with the listed c&k pushbutton.

SlayerBadger!
pre55ure
Very nice!

Do you happen to have part#'s for your power bricks in there?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Page 30 of 32