Serge panels: La Bestia, Edelweiss version II [SHIPPING]

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

nordlead
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nordlead » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:23 am

Hey guys,

the last week has been crazy, can't say that getting that printing fault sorted out was a smooth ride, however, I got a batch of panels which arrived by express this morning - now with the correct print:

Timing is a bit unfortunate as I'm about to (finally!) go on holidays, so I was hoping to get them 2 days ago (which didn't work out). However, I managed to ship the first (correct) ones out today.

Shipping will continue around August 8. So as you guessed, I shipped the faulty ones right back. Also, today's shipment is not the full batch, the rest should be here when I'll resume shipping.

If your order including a faulty panel has already arrived (or will in the next week or so), please send me an email (not pm) to arrange for a replacement.

Again sorry about this hiccup, I'm just glad that it could be resolved.

And yes, all R*S panels (and panel pcbs) are designed for Emerson / Johnson (now Cinch) banana jacks, available from Mouser (e.g.: black = 530-108-0903-1) -
as jpauty pointed out, that's the reason for the fancy milling so that the jacks are automatically aligned and cannot turn.
Random*Source: Serge, JHaible & more ... (also on facebook.com/randomsource)

(please contact me through email rather than pm: rc at randomsource . net - thanks!)

APETECHNOLOGY
Wiggling with Experience

Post by APETECHNOLOGY » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:21 am

i got my panel.
i am going for it.
thanks Ralf!

APETECHNOLOGY
Wiggling with Experience

Post by APETECHNOLOGY » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:22 am

i don't care for blue!

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Post by Rigo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:08 am

PCBs and correct panel arrived today :party:

Zealot Vague
Common Wiggler

Post by Zealot Vague » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:30 am

A registered letter from Germany is waiting at the post office :hyper:
richard wrote:Don't listen to anything. Don't drink beer, don't smoke weed, don't sleep. Have no ideas whatsoever. Make some tea. Start with a sine wave.

APETECHNOLOGY
Wiggling with Experience

Post by APETECHNOLOGY » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:35 pm

can anyone else building la bestia ii confirm,that the cv processor pcb is reversed/incorrect?

confirmed! remove rear tabs on middle pots so they do not contact large caps!
thanks, Lucid.
Last edited by APETECHNOLOGY on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lucid
Common Wiggler

Post by lucid » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:34 pm

APETECHNOLOGY wrote:can anyone else building la bestia ii confirm,that the cv processor pcb is reversed/incorrect?
I did not start with the build, but when looking on the PCB and picture of the panel you are right, it is mirror picture. Maybe pots and jack can be assembled from other side - opposite to instructions which are on the PCB, but I dont know how pots will behave (will be reversed?). Also be careful when mounting power connector from other side.

edited: well and two pots mounted from the other side will be damn close to smt caps. seem to be that supporting tabs on the pots is touching capacitor ground connection. so recommended only for advanced builders...

APETECHNOLOGY
Wiggling with Experience

Post by APETECHNOLOGY » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:41 am

after building this panel tonight, i wish i would have drilled out the trigger hole to 8mm or 21/64th.
there is a collared lip that does not allow for the switch to seat correctly.
counter sinking the inside of the panel would work as well.
super tight,and nicely designed!
thanks for the hard work Ralf!

evilspock
Common Wiggler

Post by evilspock » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:07 pm

Received my panel/boat/PCBs, very high quality. Thanks for the awesome work Ralf!!! :yay: :tu: :bananaguitar:

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:54 am

Going to pay my remainder and order pcbs soon :) just curious, is there anyplace with a rundown of the technical differences between your boards and the cgs boards? I see the info on DUSG improved tracking (very appealing) but I'm curious which other pcbs really differ from the cgs ones? For instance, ncom vs cgs voltage divider. Your SSG vs CGS ssg. Is it mainly that yours come pre-soldered with smt parts? I actually love doing the building work so would prefer to solder my own thru hole boards, but want to make sure I'm not missing many functional improvements by doing so.

Very excited to start work on this panel once i finish the two on my bench now :)
My cat can eat a whole watermelon ...

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:28 pm

Also (sorry if this has already been answered, read back about 15 pages and couldn't find anything on it) but are the pre-soldered boards populated to run on 12v or 15v power?
My cat can eat a whole watermelon ...

Permette
Common Wiggler

Post by Permette » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:11 am

Hi

It's 12V (written at the end of modules build doc : http://randomsource.net/serge_panels)
Cheers !

nordlead
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nordlead » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:59 am

lucid wrote:
APETECHNOLOGY wrote:can anyone else building la bestia ii confirm,that the cv processor pcb is reversed/incorrect?
I did not start with the build, but when looking on the PCB and picture of the panel you are right, it is mirror picture. Maybe pots and jack can be assembled from other side - opposite to instructions which are on the PCB, but I dont know how pots will behave (will be reversed?). Also be careful when mounting power connector from other side.

edited: well and two pots mounted from the other side will be damn close to smt caps. seem to be that supporting tabs on the pots is touching capacitor ground connection. so recommended only for advanced builders...
Damn, you guys are right! The Dual CV-PRO pcb is indeed mirrored, very sorry about this! :bang: Can't believe I didn't notice this ... Here are some ideas how to deal with this:

- as suggested, flipping the board and mounting the potentiometers on the "wrong" side basically works - I did not bother about the pots touching the electrolytic caps and didn't run into any issues (looks like they might not actually touch), guess there should be no voltage on either the cap casing, nor the back of the pot, still might indeed be a good idea to use a bit of insulating tape. Make sure you observe the direction of the power header on the other side! The "side wall" of the MTA 156 header has to be away from the small MTA100 header.

- Just flipping the pcb means all pots will be reversed, too, i.e. everything works, but the pots go from positive to negative. This can be manually fixed by cutting 5 traces on each side and adding some wires / links. Here's a pic:

Again very sorry about this hiccup. I have already redone the layout to fix this. (Bare) PCBs should arrive next week, for anyone not afraid of SMT soldering and ideally able to remove the 2 OPA2134 ICs on the current boards, I'm happy to send you a fresh (naked) replacement board - these will be straight from pcb production, no SMT works done - not sure when I will be able to get that done...

If you can't live with the pots being reversed and also can't do the manual fix and can't handle the SMT soldering of a new board, let me know and we'll figure something out ...

(please contact me through email rather than pm: rc at randomsource . net - thanks!)

DomMorley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DomMorley » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:18 am

Has everyone received their panels? Nothing here yet... :despair:
How I fill my days: www.dommorley.com

"Your head will collapse, but there's nothing in it..."

nordlead
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nordlead » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:01 pm

I've already shipped most of the orders - logistics is already killing me, so I'm afraid I don't find the time to individually contact people who ordered to ask them to pay the REMAINDER (http://randomsource.net/serge_panels) - if you did pay the remainder and did not receive your panel / order within a week or two, please get in touch by email. If you didn't pay the remainder yet, please simply do so here.

Usually panels are shipped within a few days from receipt of the REMAINDER.

Also, if you asked for any order changes or similar a while back, please remind me again as it is really hard to keep track ...

Quick status update: A couple of Edelweiss II panels (and pcbs) are still available.

SSG pcbs are currently out, but should be back in a few days. :banana:

Corrected Dual CV Pro pcbs have arrived, if you're not comfortable fixing the mirrored one (see earlier post), please contact me to get a corrected (bare) pcb. I'm also looking into getting the SMT works done on these - since this would require quite a bit of extra cost for SMT and parts, I'll try to figure out if there is a way that makes sense...

DomMorley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DomMorley » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:12 pm

Ah - not sure I noticed a remainder being needed! :doh:

Pretty sure that means I haven't paid it then.

Just paid now anyway. Hopefully not for a second time! :hihi:

DomMorley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DomMorley » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:53 pm

Finally got time for building! I've got a ton of B100k and no B50k pots. Is it cool to use B100k for all these PCBs? I know in previous R*S modules it's been cool to use B100k, but just wanted to check before I dive in.

DomMorley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DomMorley » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Asked on FB too, and for anyone interested in the answer to this question, it's:

100k should work in most or all cases, however, i'd have to check specifically. In general, where the pots are just attenuators or a variable voltage source (i.e. connected to +12V and -12V or GND), 100k should work just as fine. Can't think of any instances where the value should really matter but don't rely on my poor memory ...

And he also said that the DUSGs should be fine with b100k.

jpauty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jpauty » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:20 am

Anybody has a mouser project for the NCOM and the divider/boolean ? Should we start a build thread ?

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Post by Rigo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:38 am

jpauty wrote:Anybody has a mouser project for the NCOM and the divider/boolean ?
Maybe here: viewtopic.php?t=153153&highlight=

jpauty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jpauty » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:18 am

So, now that we have a yummy edelweiss II, what about its little brother ? :hail:

lucid
Common Wiggler

Post by lucid » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:39 pm

jpauty wrote:So, now that we have a yummy edelweiss II, what about its little brother ? :hail:
My guess is that it depends when NTO will be ready. On FB there were just two teasers for eurorack format, but nothing about release date.
btw also waiting for NTO to be ready in 4U :nana:

jpauty
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jpauty » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi fellow edelweiss builders :guinness:

Here is a compiled bom for edelweiss I made to simplify part ordering. Might be helpful to others.

If you find a mistake, tell me !

:bananaguitar:

bence
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bence » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:00 am

here is my build (with a slightly different color scheme for the bananas)

top quality pcbs, panel and case, and an easy build - thank you Ralf! :hail:

only suggestion (as mentioned before by APETECHNOLOGY) is a bigger hole that goes with the listed c&k pushbutton.

:sb:

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:25 pm

Very nice!

Do you happen to have part#'s for your power bricks in there?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”