MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge panels: La Bestia, Edelweiss version II [SHIPPING]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Author Serge panels: La Bestia, Edelweiss version II [SHIPPING]
bence
pre55ure wrote:
Very nice!

Do you happen to have part#'s for your power bricks in there?


do you mean the linear regulators? they are a common LM317 / LM337 pair, i think i got them from tayda (A-177 and A-222). i also used sil-pads and plastic shoulder washers to isolate their tabs from the metal case.

input is 12vac and the psu is similar to the mfos adjustable psu.
pre55ure
bence wrote:
pre55ure wrote:
Very nice!

Do you happen to have part#'s for your power bricks in there?


do you mean the linear regulators? they are a common LM317 / LM337 pair, i think i got them from tayda (A-177 and A-222). i also used sil-pads and plastic shoulder washers to isolate their tabs from the metal case.

input is 12vac and the psu is similar to the mfos adjustable psu.


Right!

Just looked again and realized that those are caps not power bricks...
At first glance I thought it was something like what the uzeus uses.
Anyway, fantastic looking build! Really need to put in my giant mouser order soon...
Reese P. Dubin
bence wrote:
here is my build (with a slightly different color scheme for the bananas)

top quality pcbs, panel and case, and an easy build - thank you Ralf! we're not worthy

only suggestion (as mentioned before by APETECHNOLOGY) is a bigger hole that goes with the listed c&k pushbutton.

SlayerBadger!


What size caps did you use on your PSU? Wondering what will be sufficient for the whole panel and want to use a single set of big ones for space concerns.

Really looking forward to knocking this one out.
bence
Reese P. Dubin wrote:


What size caps did you use on your PSU? Wondering what will be sufficient for the whole panel and want to use a single set of big ones for space concerns.

Really looking forward to knocking this one out.


i used 6800uF / 35V iirc
Reese P. Dubin
Thanks, feels like that should cover it.
GryphonP3
bence wrote:
here is my build (with a slightly different color scheme for the bananas)

top quality pcbs, panel and case, and an easy build - thank you Ralf! we're not worthy

only suggestion (as mentioned before by APETECHNOLOGY) is a bigger hole that goes with the listed c&k pushbutton.

SlayerBadger!


Nice! Inspiring to see it built. Need to save up for my panel remainder/PCBs!

So this build actually has PCB mount pots and jacks?? Wow. Just curioys - would I be able to fit regular CGS power distro rails in there and do it that way like any CGS serge build? Reason I ask is because I already have pcbs for a few of the modules in there atuffed and laying around, and I was planning to buy Ralf's boards for the important stuff, then use CGS boards for stuff like the divide/compare, boolean logic, divider, etc. and mount them all on regular CGS mounting rails. But now seeing how it all goes together without any wiring, I'm wondering if this would even be possible considering the space and form factor? Can anyone with the boards in hand suggest whether it would be possible? I usually do my panelswith pcbs mounted on the power rails, hinged to the panel like so:
medbot
GryphonP3 wrote:
bence wrote:
here is my build (with a slightly different color scheme for the bananas)

top quality pcbs, panel and case, and an easy build - thank you Ralf! we're not worthy

only suggestion (as mentioned before by APETECHNOLOGY) is a bigger hole that goes with the listed c&k pushbutton.

SlayerBadger!


Nice! Inspiring to see it built. Need to save up for my panel remainder/PCBs!

So this build actually has PCB mount pots and jacks?? Wow. Just curioys - would I be able to fit regular CGS power distro rails in there and do it that way like any CGS serge build? Reason I ask is because I already have pcbs for a few of the modules in there atuffed and laying around, and I was planning to buy Ralf's boards for the important stuff, then use CGS boards for stuff like the divide/compare, boolean logic, divider, etc. and mount them all on regular CGS mounting rails. But now seeing how it all goes together without any wiring, I'm wondering if this would even be possible considering the space and form factor? Can anyone with the boards in hand suggest whether it would be possible? I usually do my panelswith pcbs mounted on the power rails, hinged to the panel like so:


Not sure if it's much help for you, but I just did a few custom panels and used a Random Source board with the CGS rails. I did have to basically throw the panel component PCB away and hand wire everything though, so it would probably be all or nothing if you were going to use the rails. You can always break the rails apart into shorter bits also if that helps.
pre55ure
GryphonP3 wrote:
bence wrote:
here is my build (with a slightly different color scheme for the bananas)

top quality pcbs, panel and case, and an easy build - thank you Ralf! we're not worthy

only suggestion (as mentioned before by APETECHNOLOGY) is a bigger hole that goes with the listed c&k pushbutton.

SlayerBadger!


Nice! Inspiring to see it built. Need to save up for my panel remainder/PCBs!

So this build actually has PCB mount pots and jacks?? Wow. Just curioys - would I be able to fit regular CGS power distro rails in there and do it that way like any CGS serge build? Reason I ask is because I already have pcbs for a few of the modules in there atuffed and laying around, and I was planning to buy Ralf's boards for the important stuff, then use CGS boards for stuff like the divide/compare, boolean logic, divider, etc. and mount them all on regular CGS mounting rails. But now seeing how it all goes together without any wiring, I'm wondering if this would even be possible considering the space and form factor? Can anyone with the boards in hand suggest whether it would be possible? I usually do my panelswith pcbs mounted on the power rails, hinged to the panel like so:
]


Well, sort of. I mean you could just not use the panel component pcb's.. but then you'd have to figure out what components are on the panel pcb's (some have resistors etc...) You'd also have to figure out which pcb pads go to what panel components. It seems like it would be a lot of extra work for no real point. Also the main pcb's aren't in the same 2 x 6 format so I don't think you could mount them to the CGS rails without some extra effort.

TBH I think that doing it this way would kind of defeat the point of the R*S panels/boards. I'm pretty sure that all the equivalent PCB's are available from CGS and would be cheaper if thats your preference.
(I hadn't planned on it - but if you are interested I do have a V1 panel that uses CGS boards in my backlog. Maybe we could talk trade or something if you really want to do it the old school way.)
jpauty
Hey Guys,

I saw on facebook that Ralf has a 4U NTO on the bench for testing It's peanut butter jelly time! Let's raise our hands to motivate him and launching the la bestia run nanners nanners Rockin' Banana!
GryphonP3
jpauty wrote:
Hey Guys,

I saw on facebook that Ralf has a 4U NTO on the bench for testing It's peanut butter jelly time! Let's raise our hands to motivate him and launching the la bestia run nanners nanners Rockin' Banana!


HELL yeah!! Been waiting for this ever since I sold my NTOs M-Class Dead Banana
malnatim
jpauty wrote:
Hey Guys,

I saw on facebook that Ralf has a 4U NTO on the bench for testing It's peanut butter jelly time! Let's raise our hands to motivate him and launching the la bestia run nanners nanners Rockin' Banana!


maybe x-fader also. great news!
Rigo
nordlead wrote:

How's this one doing by the way ? Not that I already finished my Edelweiss II, or the TKB hihi
Reese P. Dubin
Regarding the Random Source module in the Edelweis, what is the specified noise transistor type? Mine did not come with the SMT installed, and the BOM does not have it listed that I see.

BOM also is short one 12 pin SIL connector set.

About to increase the hole size for the push button, as something is wonky with every fix I have investigated. Raising the pots equal to the switch with washers doesnt leave enough thread for the nuts to grab outside.

Goddamn this thing is so nice, and a total pleasure to build.
Rigo
Rigo wrote:
nordlead wrote:

How's this one doing by the way ? Not that I already finished my Edelweiss II, or the TKB hihi

Not much change on my side, but how is it on the La Bestia side ?
Rigo
NTO PCBs for sale now ... one step closer to La Bestia II It's peanut butter jelly time!
krok
The La Bestia II front panel is up for pre-order now. It's a deposit only and no modules yet.
http://randomsource.net/serge_panels#bestia
xonetacular
anyone got a mouser cart for the pulse divider/boolean?

finally about to build this thing
xonetacular
what about xfader instead of audio mixer on la bestia?
GryphonP3
Going to order all the edelweiss PCBs once the la bestia ones become available. I have not used the R*S PCBs before, I am wondering if they fit dimension wise inside a hammond box rather than the R*S one. I have 10 hammond enclosures for various serge projects and can build my own PSU, so I would like to do that if the PCB size permits it.
tojpeters
The 4x4 modules fit in a Hammond boat
peloazul
The R*S boat is 3" deep/tall, fwiw. The modules fit pretty generously in there, since they don't use e.g. CGS power rails.
krok
The La Bestia II panel & pcbs are up for sale on the Random*Source site now. Just a fyi for anyone else who's been waiting.
http://randomsource.net/serge_panels

There's two versions of the Serge Variable Q VCF (VCFQ) listed, a Special Edition smt version and a classic through hole version. If you're wondering about the difference, the special edition build docs say this:
Quote:
The SE version has been adjusted so that there is no resonance at all when VC Q is turned down - the classic Serge design has a little bit of resonance even when turned all the way down. When you turn up the Q knob by about 8%, you get exactly the response you get from the classic version at minimum. This means the SE version extends the sonic range to cover a very soft and smooth (resonance-free) area.
GryphonP3
Thanks!! Just came in to check, so great news! Very welcome feature on the SMT version. That always bugged me about my CGS and serge VCFQs!

krok wrote:
The La Bestia II panel & pcbs are up for sale on the Random*Source site now. Just a fyi for anyone else who's been waiting.
http://randomsource.net/serge_panels

There's two versions of the Serge Variable Q VCF (VCFQ) listed, a Special Edition smt version and a classic through hole version. If you're wondering about the difference, the special edition build docs say this:
Quote:
The SE version has been adjusted so that there is no resonance at all when VC Q is turned down - the classic Serge design has a little bit of resonance even when turned all the way down. When you turn up the Q knob by about 8%, you get exactly the response you get from the classic version at minimum. This means the SE version extends the sonic range to cover a very soft and smooth (resonance-free) area.
lasesentaysiete
does anyone know if the pcbs available on the "Serge Panels" page come with a daughter board for pots, jacks, switches, leds, etc? IE, do you get 1 or 2 boards?
peloazul
lasesentaysiete That was the case with Edelweiss II.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next [all]
Page 31 of 32
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group