MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

critique my rack idea!!! (Nov 7th, changed all around)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author critique my rack idea!!! (Nov 7th, changed all around)
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
Since ive been on my ass for the last couple days recuperating, I decided to go nuts and redo my euro rack. Some modules Im keeping of course, but the ones that dont get much play or am getting a little bored with are going...

Heres what Im thinking of going with, critique away!!!

my goals, just a nice compact "different" system that will compliment a MAQ16/3+, MD-UW and desktop evolver nicely.

nice pads, drones, weird off the wall sequences.... etc etc...

1) I know there are no multiples, going to make a standalone multiple box in the near future.

2) Plan on triggering the maths with trig outs of the MDUW. Im on the fence about the whole evin 209 and stilton adapter, it takes up so much resources and I dont know how much use I will get out of it. Plan on using a QMMG as a final mixer.

3) No VcLFOs just yet... I never really felt like I needed them hmmm.....

what do you guys think? What would you do differently?
Reptil
cool system
can't comment yes or no, because you have another idea than me obviously
but yes, generally you need more CV
some extra sequencer module is nice too
you can trigger it from the doepfer MAQ
wetterberg
looks decent enough. One great big gap I do see is vcLFOs. I love those, they're often where my patches start.
Cat-A-Tonic
If you want to try your hand at DIY... or wait 'til STG does a Euro version...
a Mankato would be a wonderful addition to row 4.
mmmm......1v/oct.VC octature sine LFO/VCO/LPF Drunken Homer Simpson
Just imagine how that would aid in patching your Doepfer Frequency Shifter, and Tapped BBD.
dougcl
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:

Wish I had photoshop to take a screenshot of the eurorack planner

In Rack Planner use File->Save As JPG.

Otherwise, use Alt+Print Screen, paste into MSPaint, Save As jpg.
tIB
^ When I save it doesnt label the files as jpegs, so I edit them by adding .jpg to the end of the title. that way it displays as a thumbnail and opens as a jpg.
dougcl
tIB wrote:
^ When I save it doesnt label the files as jpegs, so I edit them by adding .jpg to the end of the title. that way it displays as a thumbnail and opens as a jpg.

Fixed a few versions back. Download the latest version here: http://www.hevanet.com/dougcl/rp/RackPlanner.jar and save over your current version.
tIB
cool, thanks doug...
smile
its a fantastic resource by the way and has helped me immensely, so thanks for all the work you put in to it too we're not worthy
dougcl
Thanks, I'm glad you find it useful.
BUMP!
no one has any input since my changes?
wetterberg
well, what did you change?
wetterberg
- also, what do you already have, and what are you getting?
modules taken out...
-malgorithm, I have it and Im thiiiinking about selling it.
-mfb osc2, replacing with the anti osc
-quad ADSR, replacing with the maths
-RS 30, in favor of the updated RS35
-MFB drum99 mixer, will use the qmmg as a mixer
-dual slew limiter, getting one later. Most likely an AS vc one.
-PLL, getting one later.. looks pretty damn cool I have to say
-FOH choices, getting one later me thinks. Looks like a cool module.

I already have...
-freq shifter
-quad lfo
-noise
-spring reverb
-dalek (in the mail)
-wave multiplier 1
-tapped BBD
-wasp filter
-s/h
wetterberg
ah, so you didn't add anything new? It's kinda hard, since I don't remember the old picture - we see so many of these here.
I did added a bunch of stuff. RS35, anti osc, maths, A160, A161, A186 gate/trigger combiner...

I didnt have a picture before because I wasnt using rack planner, I was using that web based one and I dont have photoshop confused

I personally love these threads, I love looking at other peoples ideas and giving feedback.

so.... thoughts on the plan?
wetterberg
oh I love these too, it's just that I had commented before, and not knowing what had changed up to this one made the whole thing kinda wonky.

so; commenting on this as if I had never seen any of this before:

I like it! A good mixture of utility and awesome. I'd still add some vcLFOs, even though the Maths does get you some of that action.
Cat-A-Tonic
What are you planning to do with that A-186 passive OR combiner?
It looks like an easy one to DIY, but I'm not sure if it would be super useful in your system.

Maybe replace A-118 noise with Noise Ring, or updated Zorlon Cannon.

Replace Doepfer Quad LFO with VC LFOs...MFB Dual, Bubblesound uLFO, A-147...

Give serious consideration to a Quadrature Oscillator of some sort for controlling the QMMG and modding the Doepfer Frequency Shifter.
...Cwejman PH-4, Mankato, ChaQuo (no VC), A-143-9 VC QLFO...

Maybe replace Dalek with upcoming buffered ModDemod, and PLL...

Unless you have a pedal farm consider replacing Stilton Adapter with Doepfer Effects Insert/Crossfader.
wetterberg
I think the OR combiner is a GREAT thing to have right there - have it sum up a bunch of different outs from the divider and sequencer to generate odd sequences. I like. And yes, it's hella easy to diy, but if one wants to avoid that smile
Cat-A-Tonic
wetterberg wrote:
I think the OR combiner is a GREAT thing to have right there - have it sum up a bunch of different outs from the divider and sequencer to generate odd sequences. I like. And yes, it's hella easy to diy, but if one wants to avoid that smile

I kind of agree, but don't think he will end up using all the inputs very often.
Might be better off with A-166 Dual Logic, which appears to be buffered.
...and hope someone makes a divider with odd numbers in Euro.
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
What are you planning to do with that A-186 passive OR combiner?
It looks like an easy one to DIY, but I'm not sure if it would be super useful in your system.

one thing I love doing is feeding 2 LFOs into a SH to get a nice complex sequences. Combining that with the 2 clock dividers and the OR modules would be dreamy!!! thumbs up

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

Maybe replace A-118 noise with Noise Ring, or updated Zorlon Cannon.

good idea!

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

Replace Doepfer Quad LFO with VC LFOs...MFB Dual, Bubblesound uLFO, A-147...

I cant get rid of the quad LFO!!
it is limited, but it packs so much punch into 1 modules.

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

Give serious consideration to a Quadrature Oscillator of some sort for controlling the QMMG and modding the Doepfer Frequency Shifter.
...Cwejman PH-4, Mankato, ChaQuo (no VC), A-143-9 VC QLFO...

good idea, been giving serious consideration into the quard osc.

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

Maybe replace Dalek with upcoming buffered ModDemod, and PLL...

but it just arrived in the mail!!! Rockin' Banana!
NEW TOY ALERT!!!

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

Unless you have a pedal farm consider replacing Stilton Adapter with Doepfer Effects Insert/Crossfader.

ooooo! fanstastic idea!! thumbs up

I dont have 9 million pedals...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1