MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

color coding your patch cables for your 300 series system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author color coding your patch cables for your 300 series system
thesnow
I have a small growing 300 series system. I want to get into using specific colored patch cables for specific functions of the modular.

for example black for audio blue for control voltages.

what other functions would you consider so that I know how many different colors to limit the patch cables to?

does anyone else also do this with their 300 series system or are you mainly just patch as you go with 10 different colored patch cables?

thanks.
flts
i just have a huge bunch of different colors & lengths and pick up whatever correct length cable is closest to me seriously, i just don't get it kind of opposite of color coding i guess, i have neither length-to-color nor function-to-color mapping of any kind, i just like how everything looks patched with multiple different colour cables going around.
thesnow
flts wrote:
i just have a huge bunch of different colors & lengths and pick up whatever correct length cable is closest to me seriously, i just don't get it kind of opposite of color coding i guess, i have neither length-to-color nor function-to-color mapping of any kind, i just like how everything looks patched with multiple different colour cables going around.

yeah that's how I've mainly always done it. but I've seen threads here in the past (that I tried searching for with no luck) about this color coding method and it sounds like an interesting and efficient idea to me. I like the idea of a limited and logical patch cable color scheme visually, even if it's not a clusterfuc* of rainbow colors.
flts
yeah, i've read about people color coding by either patch cable length (= easy to pick correct length cable on the fly, potentially meaning less cable clutter) or function (= easier to visualize the patch perhaps?). both seem like viable alternatives.

the rationale for having a multicolored mess for me is that it's easy to trace individual connections when there's a good chance that adjacent cables aren't of the same color. sort of like a graph coloring / map coloring problem. in practise, it just comes down to the fact that i happen to have a lot of cables in different colours and haven't seen a need for any method less lax.

of course, the one issue with color coding by function is exactly what you're asking - what constitutes a "function". audio vs cv often isn't a clear distinction either, so you'd need to fix where the same signal acts as audio and where as control.
drumsofd00m
All you really need in cables is this:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94340

Om

(BTW couldn't this topic be of more use in the general modular subforum? Unless you're talking bantams only)
flts
^- fair point.
chamomileshark
i started that way, I would add another colour for gates / triggers.

But I've now decided it's better to use different colours for different lengths.
Norman_Phay
yeah I used to use colour coding for function EG white for gate, red for note CV etc but found colour code for length to be far more useful.
thesnow
thanks for the insight, fellas.
drumsofd00m
The Wiard stuff is so compact/ dense/ deep that it's easy to have two or three patches running in one rack width of modules... in that case one color per patch, or two similar colors per patch if you want to differentiate gates and/ or CVs from audio, is best.
plord
It gets completely out of hand for me.

I have a dense clocking section that reaches out across the whole system; I use short black cables for clock functions until they are divided, then black cables with colored ends to distribute elsewhere.

Then, using those colored ends as the key, I patch voices using cables that same color. So the voice running off the blue-capped 16th note pulse has blue cables for it's entire audio and control path. Red half note clock, red cables. Etc. I can then jump from the output section all the way back to the clock source without having to trace the mess in the middle.

It's possible I have overthought this, and going by length is the smartest thing. But fer chrissakes guys, do you know how many I've sent to Alex at Ad Infinitum by now?
revmutt
I try to buy them with color being for a specific length so I can say to myself I need more gray cables or orange and it keeps things pretty tidy.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1