MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

startup with Doepfer needs advice
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author startup with Doepfer needs advice
amsonx
Hi to all,
this is my first post here after some lurking.
I've decided to startup with a modular in eurorack format but my budget isn't so huge to afford a big system.
So i think this is is the rigth place for some advice about the first modules to buy.

I'm thinking in the A111-5 module and the Diy kit as first expense

thanks in advance

Diego

"language is a virus" WSB
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
what case/enclosure will you be going with?

welcome to the forum!! w00t
Johnisfaster
an easy way to start a system (certainly not the only way) is to get your case and then get 1 of each of these types of modules : vco, vcf, vca, eg, lfo. Theres no particular order to get them in, but if you just start by getting one of each (cheaper ones since you're on a budget) then you can get moving pretty quickly.

The only reason this might be the way to go for you is simply because it probably makes more sense than buying 3 vco's on your first day or something and not having any utilities. (though some people might be down with 3 vco all by their lonesome wink
MrTea
Hi!

Seems like you're in exactly the same position as me. I went for the 6U DIY kit (which I'm still waiting for) and am getting a used A-110 VCO for a good price. I figure that's a good a starting point as any.

I'll be doing as johnisfaster said and buying all the essentials first (not necessarily all Doepfer mind and not necessarily all at the same time) so next will be VCF, VCA, EG, LFO and probably then adding modules as time goes on as I, like you am also on a budget.

The Asol SQ8 looks good, gonna add that to my list of essentials I think, and their 6HP MIDI to CV converter also looks like bang for the buck.
amsonx
thanks to all fo the quickly answers.

I'¡ll go to a Diy wood case.

Im think at the A 111-5 as first module because is very similar to the dark energy less the midi2CV.

After this i'm thinking in a A107 Multitype Morphing Filterand a Midi2CV module. Another module that i'll like to get is MATHS from Makenoise.
amsonx
I've thinking a lot about the module to insert in my actual setup.

I've a Mopho and some other gear so i can start to built my modular with some filter and modulation source module.
Any suggestion or advice for about this ?
wetterberg
the a-111-5 is certainly a great choice... but, if you look at what you can get if you buy used it's still quite expensive.

definitely get the diy kit, if you're up for it. I like mounting the kit in a suitcase, but there's a lot of stuff that'll neatly take the diy rails - like small bookshelves and such.
amsonx
and what about this modules to mangling the Mopho's output?

A-109 Voltage Controlled Signal Processor (VCF - VCA - Panning)
A-106-1 Xtreme Filter
A-141 VC ADSR
A-143-3 Quad LFo
MrTea
wetterberg wrote:
the a-111-5 is certainly a great choice... but, if you look at what you can get if you buy used it's still quite expensive.

The A111-5 does seem like a cheap way of getting the basics down but still to to me it seems like for only a small amount of extra cash you could buy the modules new individually and have a more flexible synthesizer voice. eg

A110 - VCO
A102 - VCF
A140 - ADSR
A130 - VCA

That adds up to to 345 Euro from Doepfer. The A111-5 is 300 Euro and like wetterberg said if you look for some used modules it could be even cheaper.

EDIT: whoops, looks like i forgot the LFO in there. so yeah it is a saving but are you limiting yourself? for me I'd like all my modules seperate....I think if I wanted an all in one synth voice i'd buy myself a cheap analog mono 8_)
baboo
If you're on a small budget, you could go with analogue solutions- they're priced more or less like doepfer but have a bit more options inside . for example Asol filters have built-in VCAs, LFOs are voltage controlled and have a noise source, oscillators have sub-osc or ringmod etc.

anyway, I went with Asol for my first 3U and I'm quite happy with that
MrTea
baboo wrote:
If you're on a small budget, you could go with analogue solutions- they're priced more or less like doepfer but have a bit more options inside . for example Asol filters have built-in VCAs, LFOs are voltage controlled and have a noise source, oscillators have sub-osc or ringmod etc.

anyway, I went with Asol for my first 3U and I'm quite happy with that

I think i'm going to be combining mostly doepfer and Asol as it's looks like great value for money.

Is there any chance of a sample of those Asol oscillators?
Synesthesia
this one is a good start too - better than the a-11-5 i think ...

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Module/KRAFTZWERG/kraftzwerg.html
Synesthesia
Perso i make my own case with a doepfer DIY kit as well, just got a used AS VCO, a barebone plague bearer, doepfer VCO ... all that was really cheap and I am over the moon with my system ... applause
baboo
MrTea wrote:

here you go:
http://soundcloud.com/user4050693/analoguesolutions-oscillator-demo

IMO they sound good but you might find it annoying that they lack waves with low harmonic content like sine or triangle
MrTea
baboo wrote:
MrTea wrote:

here you go:
http://soundcloud.com/user4050693/analoguesolutions-oscillator-demo

IMO they sound good but you might find it annoying that they lack waves with low harmonic content like sine or triangle

Thanks for the sample. I agree they do sound good. The saw is the better of the two waves here - quite thick sounding. For the price too, it's great value. I'm sure they sound mostly the same - but which Asol oscillator was this?
baboo
this was the compact 6HP version, the demo was made with one osc to show how it sounds, of course two of them sound better. other VCOs from Asol sound the same, they just have other functions like sync, portamento or sub-osc and occupy 12 Hp( i think)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1