synths with cv/gate out

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

parome
Common Wiggler

synths with cv/gate out

Post by parome » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:26 am

Thinking about finding a synth that has cv/gate out to use a controller with a eurorack system. Can't find too much info searching around. So far all I know to work well are:

minibrute
sh-101

Any to add to the list?

Does there exsist a polyphonic analog synth with cv out? I realise this would just be one voice, or some sort of monophonic mode.

cheers :guinness:

cartoonbomb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cartoonbomb » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:03 am

The MS-20/Mini has trigger out and keyboard cv out, but I think you would need a way to convert Hz/volt to Volt/octave (Harvestman English Tear). It's also got an envelope and pitch follower ("External Signal Processor"), noise, S&H, and VCA, all patchable. edit oh sorry I didn't see that you wanted poly, my bad.

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:47 am

Regarding polys, AFAIK the Yamaha SK series (e.g. SK 30) have trigger / cv outputs; pretty sure though that these are not V/oct but Hz/V...

For monos, there's really a lot that have it. For example, I think virtually every (vintage) Roland SH series synth does have it... Etc.

There once was a thread aiming at a complete list on VSE:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... t=+cv+gate

Cheers! :guinness:

antto
Common Wiggler

Post by antto » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:50 am

TB-303 and some of its clones (x0xb0x) have cv/gate out
the cv is V/Oct response

NYMo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NYMo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:05 am

There's a new Akai one..also Moog little phatty with cv/gate out.
I've used a Roland sh2 and am currently using a Roland system 100 101 synth which has patch points in it so it will also integrate with your euro.

Cheers
Vintage Knobhead !

New synth history album Vol 5 avail for free download !

Albums here
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120834

Not too old to rock'n roll..not too young to die !

parome
Common Wiggler

Post by parome » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:08 am

cartoonbomb wrote: I didn't see that you wanted poly, my bad.
I'm more just curious. Would be useful though.

There once was a thread aiming at a complete list on VSE:

Ah nice, thanks. And there seems to be a few poly synths on there too. Curious to see how that works.

parome
Common Wiggler

Post by parome » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:11 am

NYMo wrote:There's a new Akai one..also Moog little phatty with cv/gate out.
I've used a Roland sh2 and am currently using a Roland system 100 101 synth which has patch points in it so it will also integrate with your euro.
Cheers
I noticed you were looking to sell your system 100. Didn't get along with it?
If you don't mind me prying. :eyes:

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Almost every synth has this. Weird question.

Just get that qunexus
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

johnnylonz
Common Wiggler

Post by johnnylonz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Elektron A4 is another option.

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:24 pm

ARP Solus is a semi-neat one, I think it sends pitch bend (from a godawful knob) through the CV out. Multimoog, Micro, Source, OB1?
Poly wise, theres the Memorymoog, maybe the OBX?
Ive been nosing around looking for the cheapest cv/gate provider, and Qunexus offers something, but its not really a keyboard, and there aint no midi out, which really seems annoying, even if a usb converter can be had.
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

parome
Common Wiggler

Post by parome » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Bath House wrote:Almost every synth has this. Weird question.

Just get that qunexus

Almost every synth has cv/gate out? :deadbanana:

Maybe in the 1970's??? I own 6 and none of them have cv/gate out. Also, this: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... t=+cv+gate may not be them all but if its close, then it's a pretty small percentage. Try listing the ones that don't have it.

Sorry, to clarify, interested in an actual synth with keyboard.

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: synths with cv/gate out

Post by beyourdog » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:00 pm

parome wrote:Thinking about finding a synth that has cv/gate out to use a controller with a eurorack system. Can't find too much info searching around. So far all I know to work well are:

minibrute
sh-101

Any to add to the list?

Does there exsist a polyphonic analog synth with cv out? I realise this would just be one voice, or some sort of monophonic mode.

cheers :guinness:
Arp Odyssey
Arp axxe
Pro1???

dougt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dougt » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:25 pm

There are quite a few poly analogs with CV/Gate outs -

Jupiter-8
OB-X
OB-SX
Memorymoog
Voyetra-8

Also my JP-4 has a very easy mod that makes it a 4 channel poly CV controller with poly/unison modes and built-in arpeggiator (turns it into a System-100M 184 controller essentially)...

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:08 pm

parome wrote:

Just get that qunexus

Maybe in the 1970's??? I own 6 and none of them have cv/gate out. Also, this: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... t=+cv+gate may not be them all but if its close, then it's a pretty small percentage. Try listing the ones that don't have it.

I wasn't trying to be rude, but yes, almost any non-ROMpler synth has CV/Gate out. It just seems like a super-generic question!
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:21 pm

Bath House wrote:
parome wrote:

Just get that qunexus

I wasn't trying to be rude, but yes, almost any non-ROMpler synth has CV/Gate out. It just seems like a super-generic question!
With very big peace and love, I would personnally consider that actually very few Analog synths possess a CV-out... I spent time personnally on it when I wanted to drive my Euro and ARP2600.
I used an SH101 because I like the sequencer / arpegiator and a Xoxbox...

No CV out on the Minimoog, Korg is in Hertz/Oct, Roland synths do not all have CV out (especially the early ones like the sh1000 sh2000, Yamaha sometimes has Hzt/oct, the common analog synths like the MS20 is Hert/Oct, no CV out on all the Moogs,...

Now talking about the modern analog synths, appart from the Arturia Mini-Brute, there is no CV out on the Nation Bass Station II, the Mini Korg MS20 is hert/Oct i think...

parome
Common Wiggler

Post by parome » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:32 pm

It's cool, no offense taken. I'm certainly not an expert on the subject. It seems to me like a reasonable question though. I was sort of couching it as a 'what works well with eurorack' query, rather than a list of every synth ever made.
almost any non-ROMpler synth has CV/Gate out.
This still baffles me. As far as I know the list of synths that don't have cv/gate is insanely long. INSANELY LONG. i,e most synths made post early eighties and midi. (and a small resurgence in modern analogs)

Can you clarify your position? 8_)

Waveformbakery
Common Wiggler

Post by Waveformbakery » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:05 am

What's your budget?. I mean, buying 2-3k$ polysynth for controller is kind of.. :mrgreen:. Of course you get great synth too!. Anyway, some new Akai keyboards have now CV Out, i don't know more about it, but maybe an idea you want to research.

Akai Max25
♫ Waveformbakery ♫
_
Current Noob Case
Twitter
Flickr
Soundcloud

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:27 am

Emminent Solina has cv/gate out. Very nice keyboard action. Makes nice sounds too.

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:53 am

Voyager Old School; likely overkill and not cheap but very nice!
Beware of programmers with screwdrivers...

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:04 am

EMwhite wrote:Voyager Old School; likely overkill and not cheap but very nice!
It seems pretty obnoxious that many of their other synth keyboards dont feature onboard CV/Gate out.
they should have seen that as a possible selling point, both for their own keyboards as well as their other gear.
A strike against them in my book.
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:09 am

fireclown wrote:
EMwhite wrote:Voyager Old School; likely overkill and not cheap but very nice!
It seems pretty obnoxious that many of their other synth keyboards dont feature onboard CV/Gate out.
they should have seen that as a possible selling point, both for their own keyboards as well as their other gear.
A strike against them in my book.
The odd part is that the Voyager (the fancier one with presets, touch pad, display) does NOT have a Gate and pitch out, you have to add the VX-351, but the VOS (Old School) does have it.

Considering the wealth of CV capable gear that they make and keep making (MiniFoogers all have 1 expression pedal / CV input), you would have thought that everything would have this basic capability (including Taurus III, Sub Phatty, etc). But on some of the products (like MiniTaur), they've done a great job and gone overboard in the CV 'in' implementation for mapping, despite the small size.

Can't have it all, I guess...

ThinLazy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ThinLazy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:13 am

my moog source has CV out but I think it has a weird offset so
that it is something like 1.1v/oct.

While we are talking CV outs on synths another important detail
is what kind of gate the synths put out. For instance most moog keyboards
put out an S-trigger which is high and goes low when a gate triggers.
This is different than how most people think about triggers
and would require some processing before it can be used to control
modular stuff.
Last edited by ThinLazy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYMo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NYMo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:14 am

parome wrote:
NYMo wrote:There's a new Akai one..also Moog little phatty with cv/gate out.
Cheers
I noticed you were looking to sell your system 100. Didn't get along with it?
If you don't mind me prying. :eyes:
Hi Parome,
I've been using the 101 as a controller for my modular and obviously only using the cv/gate outs. But I was rarely using the 101 as a synth.
I've recently switched over to midi interfaces in my modular so a cv/ gate synth is not something I really need at the moment. So I'm downgrading essentially, for something smaller with midi.
I love the sound of the 101. I've also got the two Oberheims which weren't being used because they WERE midi.
For me it's all about workflow and use.
Being on the dole doesn't help with modular addiction!

Chees
Vintage Knobhead !

New synth history album Vol 5 avail for free download !

Albums here
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120834

Not too old to rock'n roll..not too young to die !

soundwave106
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by soundwave106 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Bath House wrote:I wasn't trying to be rude, but yes, almost any non-ROMpler synth has CV/Gate out. It just seems like a super-generic question!
Well, no.

Now, almost every synth *does* have a "sort of" CV, in in the form of an expression pedal or volume pedal input. Each manufacturer implements their expression pedal / volume pedal differently, but if you get the wiring right and the expression pedal can do interesting things on your ROMpler, I imagine it's possible to have your modular control your boring old ROMpler in, interesting ways. Perhaps.

However, *hardly any* synth since the early 1980s had a CV out... until recently. Even now, CV out is mainly on the monophonic analogs. You aren't going to find a CV/Gate out on a Korg Kronos. :)
BC | SC

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:43 pm

ThinLazy wrote:While we are talking CV outs on synths another important detail
is what kind of gate the synths put out. For instance most moog keyboards
put out an S-trigger which is high and goes low when a gate triggers.
This is different than how most people think about triggers
and would require some processing before it can be used to control
modular stuff.
Modern Moog gear (produced since about 2002) is V-trig based so IS compatible with modular but having said this, some gear is more sensitive to the slope and voltage of the gate than others.

Even some of the modern Moog synths have Pitch CV which is 'lazy' or not 1V per octave precisely. With modulars (from Moog Music Inc.'s perspective) being very much a 70's thing, the addition of Pitch CV on the modern gear is meant to accommodate expression pedals (limited use in this context), pitch ribbons, or pure analog sequencers in which every step is precisely dialed in; so they slacked off a bit by NOT installing trimmers on the boards.

Little Phatty Tribute has voltage tuning onboard but the Stage I and Stage II does not. Likewise, Voyager analog boards do not, however replacement of R47 (100k) on the analog board with a ~90K + trimmer will fix matters on Voyager and Old School. Little known fact is that the VX-351 has a trimmer built in with an access hole in the back of the casing. MiniTaur on the other hand is even more modern and has field calibration for incoming Voltage to the extent that you can apply voltage, send a SysEx and the unit will auto-calibrate... nice!

So not much in the way of standard for the standard but if you know what you are doing and/or ask questions, there are ways to get all of this gear to work together correctly.

Return to “General Gear”