MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Silent Way and UA Apollo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Silent Way and UA Apollo
Wolfman
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of using the UA Apollo with Silent-Way?

I've successfully ran a CS30L over 6 octaves off of my Motu Ultralite but my main studio computer is hooked up to an apollo and I'd rather use that for audio purposes.

I haven't managed to find any information as to whether the Apollo Outputs are DC coupled or not,thus I'm assuming they're probably not.In which case I'm wondering if anyone has used the AC coupled modified leads with it with success,and without damaging the unit?!

Thanks in advance
Wolfman
Is anyone out theeeeerrrrreeeeeeeee????
Soy Sos
Drop a note to OS.
He is the maker of Expert Sleepers and is a member here.
os
I don't have an Appollo though!

Very unlikely it's dc coupled. But there's no way I can think of that using the rectifier cables with it would hurt.

Better would be to hook up an ES-3. smile
emergencyofstate
I read the the newer Apollo 16 has DC coupled outputs. I have the Apollo 8 which does not (I'm gonna grab an ES-3 cause I'm newly back into the euro game)
os
Do you recall where you read that?
emergencyofstate
Printed in the product description here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/universal-audio-apollo-16-ana log-i-o-firewire-interface-w-uad-2-quad-dsp and
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/8283 13-musikmesse-universal-audio-announces-apollo-16-audio-interface-dsp- box.html

Interestingly though, I couldn't find it in the actual Apollo 16 manual.
sempervirent
emergencyofstate wrote:
I read the the newer Apollo 16 has DC coupled outputs. I have the Apollo 8 which does not

Presumably by "Apollo 8" you were talking about the Duo or Quad?

This page says that the outputs on the Duo are DC-coupled:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--UADAPOLLODUO
chrisso
I'm using the SPDIF output on my Apollo to drive an ES4.
Sinamsis
Same here. Works great. It also has ADAT, but I didn't want to sacrifice that as I have an ADDA converter connected to my Apollo Duo for increased I/O.
ovian
Anyone try silent way with the apollo 16 yet? The Universal Audio website says that it is DC coupled. I just got a Apollo 16 but am nervous to try silent way with it as I don't what to hurt it. Is even possible to hurt you audio interface using Expert Sleepers silent way?
os
MOTU's advice is to use floating ring cables to avoid any such damage.

Only UA can tell you for sure what the situation is with their stuff, but to date I've never heard of anyone damaging any interface in this way.
Sinamsis
I would counter why not just use the ADAT or SPDIF?
rankson
Curious if anyone tried this in the meanwhile? I have an Apollo 16. It worked, but whenever I change the output volume of a channel everything is screwed up. Miley Cyrus
Sinamsis
rankson wrote:
Curious if anyone tried this in the meanwhile? I have an Apollo 16. It worked, but whenever I change the output volume of a channel everything is screwed up. Miley Cyrus

If you change the volume of a channel outputting CV you are effectively changing the outgoing voltage and thus everything sounds messed up. So that is normal.
anderson303
os wrote:

Very unlikely it's dc coupled. But there's no way I can think of that using the rectifier cables with it would hurt.

So I can finally get an ES-3 now that I've bought an Universal Audio Apollo Quad Firewire?
os
If it has an ADAT output, then yes.
rili
anderson303 wrote:
os wrote:

So I can finally get an ES-3 now that I've bought an Universal Audio Apollo Quad Firewire?

I use the Apollo, works fine thumbs up
anderson303
os wrote:
If it has an ADAT output, then yes.

And I can replace Yarns win it, no more midi? Just CV notes and Gates from my Daw to silent way and then to my modular?

No latency?
os
Quote:
Just CV notes and Gates from my Daw to silent way and then to my modular?

Yes.

Quote:
No latency?

All computer-based systems have latency. Latency between what and what?
anderson303
os wrote:
Quote:
Just CV notes and Gates from my Daw to silent way and then to my modular?

Yes.

Quote:
No latency?

All computer-based systems have latency. Latency between what and what?

If I use innerclock Gen-Sync there is no latency at all between the time it takes from a note to leave Ableton and hit my modular sequencers.

This is achieved with audio sync and software, I hoped silent way might do the same thing?

One more question, what's all this i hear about calibration Isn't it just plug and play with ES-3?

Thanks for the help
os
Quote:
If I use innerclock Gen-Sync there is no latency at all between the time it takes from a note to leave Ableton and hit my modular sequencers.

There is latency, but it's the same as the latency in your audio, so you hear the two as being in time. This is the same principle that Expert Sleepers stuff works on.

The ES-3 is not hardware-calibrated. If you want a 1V/octave output you run the calibration procedure in Silent Way, which has the added bonus of taking into account any tuning deviancy in your oscillators.
anderson303
os wrote:
If you want a 1V/octave output you run the calibration procedure in Silent Way, which has the added bonus of taking into account any tuning deviancy in your oscillators.

Last question before I buy. how long does this take? Can I set up a pre-calibrated template in Ableton?

Super excited about finally getting this module. I've never had an ADAT out before.
os
It takes about 5 seconds. Yes, you can save a template.
anderson303
SOLD!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2