MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modular life performance scene in Bay Area (SF/Oakland)?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Modular life performance scene in Bay Area (SF/Oakland)?
mkndr
Is there much of one? Would be nice to meet the community.
ResistSound
I live in SF and I don't currently know of one. But we could start one now. Anyone in the bay want to do this?
Little Otik
There are often modulars being played at Godwaffle Noise Pancakes, a sunday morning noise venue at The Lab in SF. Check it out.
Little Otik
Here's a link to a show I played there with my MOTM modular and prepared Rhodes last December:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWjaPYizFf8
ResistSound
NICE!
confusional
Pretty much everyone I work with celebrates a pro-modular lifestyle, now, that doesn't necessarily translate into playing live with modulars, though my weekends are spent visiting friends and colleagues to patch up the live voltage-controlled funk, so there you have it. But that's SF for you. Not sure what it's like on the other side of the bay.
mkndr
Interesting. Thanks for the responses.

Might try to put something together in the next year. My main project will be taking too much of my time with a new release, but I think I have a really neat space in SOMA that's sympathetic to modular jams.
robot909
I would love to bring my rig and jam out with other modular users. I live in the east bay Martinez, there is nothing out here.
square_wave
Robotspeak just started up monthly meets. The next one is October 26th.
robot909
Yup, Robotspeak has an event going on, but I think its more of manufacturer demo from what I read. Doesn't seem like and event where people can bring gear and hang out. Also it is a small space.

Would be cooler if there was a space we can set up in and maybe put an order to who gets to plug in their modular and for how long. Play for 15 minutes. Move on to the next person or answer questions and share techniques.
spauldingjeffrey
Every third Saturday of the month Robotspeak does a synth build, and an in store modular performance. I am sure if you contact Dimitri he would probably hook you up.
clarke68
robot909 wrote:
Would be cooler if there was a space we can set up in and maybe put an order to who gets to plug in their modular and for how long. Play for 15 minutes. Move on to the next person or answer questions and share techniques.

Yeah, I would love something like this, a Modular Open-Mic Night. Even more interesting would be something that gets people playing together, a Modular Jam Session. Free improv, or get our groove on with 2-4 systems/players all synced to a common clock.

Noise Pancakes is great, although it's not always at a time I can make. Last time I went there were no modulars, but some great music nonetheless. 3rd Saturdays at Robotspeak are great as well, up to now the performances have been relatively organized, but I bet Steve/Dmitri would be up for hosting a jam if it would bring people into the shop. I enjoy going to meets as well, but they're generally more focused on gear than on music.
krelnarb
Years ago my friend and I played a few shows as ZARDOZ. We found, for us at least, with a disinterested audience it can be less than fulfilling;

"Dude, it's over man. It's over! Stop, it's over, Dude, you're done" - Guy standing in front of us waving his beer, 5 minutes into our set. 2002, Thee Parkside, SF

It would be beyond cool to play out with, and for, like minded people.
mkndr
Good to know about Robotspeak putting on an event. It's a pretty small space, though, but it's kind of a not-fun commute from Oakland.

Maybe the East Bay folks can set up a thing at Sudo Room, downtown ... those folks would be really into this.
juvation
i hope the mfr show and tell type event fits into the new monthly RS modular meet schedule, with the regular thing being just people bringing synths and gabbing about them.

i think Steven is open to pretty much anyone playing for a bit, but there would have to be some coordination to sort the performance space next door. (speaking of which who works there? wanted to buy vinyl last time i was there and couldn't figure out if anyone was actually taking money!)

another performance option is LoveTech, run by local music stalwart Moldover. http://lovetech.org

and another possibility is Pyramind at Folsom and 5th. i have buddies there that could advise on possibilities http://pyramind.com

failing all that, we could just set up in Justin Herman plaza ;-)
analoglsd
clarke68 wrote:
robot909 wrote:

Yeah, I would love something like this, a Modular Open-Mic Night. Even more interesting would be something that gets people playing together, a Modular Jam Session. Free improv, or get our groove on with 2-4 systems/players all synced to a common clock.

Noise Pancakes is great, although it's not always at a time I can make. Last time I went there were no modulars, but some great music nonetheless. 3rd Saturdays at Robotspeak are great as well, up to now the performances have been relatively organized, but I bet Steve/Dmitri would be up for hosting a jam if it would bring people into the shop. I enjoy going to meets as well, but they're generally more focused on gear than on music.

Myself, and a couple friends, just rented a space that was formerly a small recording studio, and I'd be down to host a regular event, if people are still interested in this.
The space is located at 65th and San Pablo, on the Oakland/Emeryville/Berkeley border.
What was formerly the 'live' room could easily accommodate four systems/players at a time, and maybe ten or so people hanging out.
The former 'control' room is currently a vintage synth museum, but will be more of a vintage synth project studio once we get a new computer and mixer.(which will happen before the new year)
I don't know if a more public performance venue would be preferred, but I figured that I'd throw it out there...
Dirty_Bill
analoglsd, let me know if you'd like some help with this, I'm happy to be involved in logistics or promotions.

-db
Junk Rhythm
analoglsd wrote:
Myself, and a couple friends, just rented a space that was formerly a small recording studio, and I'd be down to host a regular event, if people are still interested in this.
The space is located at 65th and San Pablo, on the Oakland/Emeryville/Berkeley border.
What was formerly the 'live' room could easily accommodate four systems/players at a time, and maybe ten or so people hanging out.
The former 'control' room is currently a vintage synth museum, but will be more of a vintage synth project studio once we get a new computer and mixer.(which will happen before the new year)
I don't know if a more public performance venue would be preferred, but I figured that I'd throw it out there...

I had the chance to check out this space last night. It would be a great space for more intimate performances as well as jam sessions. There is plenty of parking too.
hexenexeh
I'm in El Cerrito and would like to get involved.
dogoftears
3rd saturday of every month at robotspeak

i played last month

anthony bissett this month

hosted by our own dmitri sfc
Nelson Baboon
Nelson Baboon will play there at the end of the universe. Time to be determined.
Dirty_Bill
dogoftears wrote:
3rd saturday of every month at robotspeak

i played last month

anthony bissett this month

hosted by our own dmitri sfc

And Shiro (VoltageCNTRLR) in March.
anthonybisset
Seems reasonable to keep adding bay area info as it comes in,

- Thomas Dimuzio curates an all modular event at Duende in Oakland called Mod Life Crises.
spauldingjeffrey
anthonybisset wrote:

- Thomas Dimuzio curates an all modular event at Duende in Oakland called Mod Life Crises.

This sounds cool. When does it usually happen?

I am in the east bay, and would be down for any type of jam sessions, or preformances in the eastbay. Not really sure I am ready for a preformance, but I am always ready to learn, and experiment. I love SF city, but getting there can be a huge headache sometimes.
acidicfeces
spauldingjeffrey wrote:
anthonybisset wrote:

This sounds cool. When does it usually happen?

http://gench.com/articlelabel/gench-music-series-duende
I went to it last thursday, but I'm not sure about future events.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2