MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

6U vs 9U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 6U vs 9U
mateo
I'm debating which case size to buy; 9U seems to provide the best value, but 6U seems a lot more common for some reason; is it a question of availability, creative constraints, or...?
Illiac
well, the doepfer 6u cases have been around a LOT longer than the 9u so there's that.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 9u exceed most airline carry on
allowances.
suboptimal
I think it's usually a matter of planned use and budget. I went with 9U and am glad I did - it allows for a lot more flexibility in module choice.
Kent
I'll second that 6U has definitely been around much longer. I never heard of them when I bought my 6u.
dougcl
9U seems to be a better match to the power supply capacity than 6U, and therefore is more economical (and lighter).
sandyb
+1 on all the "go with 9U" comments.
mateo
Right, I was pretty decided on 9U, but I was wondering if I'd overlooked anything. Considering my plans include several livewire modules, 6U would fill up pretty fast...
NV
Without a doubt, 9U trumps 6U. 6U will easily fill to the brim with the basics, whereas 9U will provide an entire extra row to fill with more of the "fun" modules and some of the less common utilities like logic, clocking, and sequencing, which is when the strengths of modular synthesis really start to show.

9U is barely more expensive than 6U and is much more cost effective if you do the dollar-per-HP ratio. Some people argue they don't have the space, but I really don't think anyone has ever been so strapped for space that they couldn't fit an extra 5 vertical inches in their room.
premieklovn
I'm glad I went with the P9. My first modules already almost cover 2 rows (I have 5 livewire modules and a QMMG = lots of space) and I still have more room for funky modules. Not sure what to get next but that's a whole 'nother thread.

In Norway I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to bring the case as carry on. I've had guitars with me many times and they're usually bigger than what's allowed. I can imaginge the security being a bitch though. Shitloads of wires and stuff = BOMB. Dead Banana
kopplog
I went for the 6U´s and I´d wish I didn´t!
there is always something more you want to add.

Better screw a completely cushion padded frontplate at the lower 3U´s This is fun! This is fun! This is fun!
just joking...

face, what your aim is to have:
for just droning around 6U will fit truely.
also for a fine drum-machine sort of.

a 6U for a complete mono-synth with instrument/FX-inserts
-I know now- was too less.
Knobtwister
I was planing for the 6U but changed my mind in the last second before I ordered my case. I'm really glad I picked the 9U instead hihi
DanielW
Does the Doepfer A-100 DIY Kit #1 provide enough power for a 9U? Never mind the number of rails.
sandyb
DanielW wrote:
Does the Doepfer A-100 DIY Kit #1 provide enough power for a 9U? Never mind the number of rails.

yes. the diy kit should provide 1200mA. this is the same as the prebuilt 9U cases that doepfer build and is perfectly sufficient for 3 rows of modules.

sandy
DanielW
Sweet. Then it's a total no-brainer since the most sensible thing anyway is to build your own case...
wetterberg
sandyb wrote:
DanielW wrote:

yes. the diy kit should provide 1200mA. this is the same as the prebuilt 9U cases that doepfer build and is perfectly sufficient for 3 rows of modules.

sandy
I use the diy kit to power 4 rows, and I'm about to attempt the fifth now, hehe.
jonkull
My modular became a lot more fun when I expanded beyond 6U. I say go for 9U.
wetterberg
jonkull wrote:
My modular became a lot more fun when I expanded beyond 6U. I say go for 9U.
I agree - 6U gets you the "core", while successive rows get you the magic.
sandyb
wetterberg wrote:
I use the diy kit to power 4 rows, and I'm about to attempt the fifth now, hehe.

yeh - i'm on 4 rows myself. i haven't calculated the total mA for them but i'm pretty sure i've got a bit of capacity left if i wanted it.
ST UF FLI N EAR
wetterberg wrote:
6U gets you the "core", while successive rows get you the magic.

pure fokkin poetry applause
wetterberg
sandyb wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

yeh - i'm on 4 rows myself. i haven't calculated the total mA for them but i'm pretty sure i've got a bit of capacity left if i wanted it.
the modular planner will calculate it for you, but some modules don't have the data punched in yet, so you'll do a bit of extra addition afterwards. Pretty straight forward - I'll do the math there myself once I get my second uLFO and the spring reverb.
money bags
Quote:
9u exceed most airline carry on
allowances.

what! no good does anyone know for sure about this?

also speaking of travels what would be the best way to get a 9u(if they let you take it on the plane) that is switchable from 120v to 240v?
premieklovn
krusephilip wrote:
Quote:
9u exceed most airline carry on
allowances.

what! no good does anyone know for sure about this?

also speaking of travels what would be the best way to get a 9u(if they let you take it on the plane) that is switchable from 120v to 240v?

I think it depends on which airline and which country.
tonnu
I am in a minority here.

Somehow the aesthetics of the 6u is just sooo much more pleasing to me. It's like an instrument, a super secret and personal one, and looks cute and cuddly and ready to go anywhere with me.

I have the 9u and lugging it around to gigs, on top of a microkontrol, a monomachine, a mixer, and pedals is really a pain.

I am gonna downgrade to a monorocket mission 6 and pack high density core modules in there that can function as bread and butter monovoice together with another insane noise generator voice.

Core will be AFG, HZD (gotta order this), QMMG for filters (and maybe z2040 for vanilla sound if I can afford it), Maths for envs, and TS for noisy mayhem. I think I can pretty much live with those core modules. No sequencing but I am too lazy to clock my modular most--if not all of the time.
tonnu
Sorry double post
daverj
Most airlines allow 22" x 14" x 9". The Doepfer p6 fits in that space. The p9 doesn't.

A friend of mine from Norway has both a p6 and a p9 and he says in Europe they won't let him carry the p9 on as carry on luggage, but they do the p6.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2