MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Binary Function Computer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Binary Function Computer
vurma
Context, narrative

Every since I entered the modular cave system, iv wanted to contribute to the DIY scene. One of the most interesting concepts I wanted to work with was the material from the short but passionate bytebeat scene. Im not good at electronics, but my programming skills are improving steadily and i figured this was a good start.

This is another implementation of the 8-bit binary function oscillator discovered and defined in 2011. After looking around i found out that Microbe Modular were doing a similar implementation, and that some code for it is already in the Ardcore library, so its completely fair if you want to call me a copycat and disregard this post. I know I started to develop my implementation before discovering that others already existed. But after all, its all open source code, based (at least initially) on open-ended hardware platforms, so the idea of novelty is less important as long as the licensing is respected.

Project description for a test implementation
The Binary Function Computer works with bytebeat-style iterations, but toggles equation constants and conditional variation of equations by analysing modular logic signals. It will have a comparator to derive logic-out signals based on the periodic maximum and arithmetic mean of the function values.

The main control of the unit should focus on manipulation and exploration of bytebeat equations, which can be pretty puzzling to figure out in their own. To do so, state change has to predictable, which is why i chose logic inputs over more complex CV-driven manipulation (modulated sine LFO signals for example). Also, i think there are too few interesting logic implementations for modular systems. Im hoping this project can contribute to some change of that.

Provided as a source for learning, the project will be released under the GPL v.3 license and initially hosted on the Arduino platform.

I was heavily influenced by existing code. None of my work would have been possible without the wealth of information put up on the blog of countercomplex.

Dislaimer
The code is currently in an experimental stage and is provided, as is, in accordance with the OSS saying: "realease early, release often". I know the interest for this will be in small but hopefully passionate crowds, and mainly, its just a personal project id though id share with whomever might find it useful.

https://github.com/Vurma/BFG

More updates coming later this week.
bernd.wender
What about the output? As far as I know of, the Arduino has no true analog out (only PCM that has to be integrated). Do you use an external DA converter?
vurma
bernd.wender wrote:
What about the output? As far as I know of, the Arduino has no true analog out (only PCM that has to be integrated). Do you use an external DA converter?

You're right, and I dont.^^ im just using the PWM output as sync input to a A-110. Can post a video of it later.
vurma
For the theoretically inclined, this short text provides an interesting perspective on why and how the functions can be composed.
vurma
Although its still very primitive, the code iv put up now shows how simple it is to implement this kind of an oscillator. Now on to deriving useful signals from the "comparator" algorithm. As for a brute-force test, i plugged the PWM signal coming from it into the sync input of an A-110. The sound was.. Interesting.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1