MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I think I broke my Kommander
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik  
Author I think I broke my Kommander
shortsleeves
Hi guys,

I think I broke my Kommander. I haven't used it for quite some time, and I wanted to check a quick idea I had, and accidentally plugged a PSU with wrong polarity (center positive). It took a few minutes for me to figure out, what has happened.

After I plugged in a proper PSU, the Kommander kind of worked, but not quite 100%. The gates work, and both CV outputs work too, but the latter don't output a smooth signal, but something that sounds as if it were modulated at audio rate, i.e. when I plug the CV outs to 1v/oct ins of my oscillators, the change in pitch is not smooth, but ragged – sine waves sound as if they were modulated at audio rate. The same happens I when send CV from the Kommander to a filter cutoff in.

Any idea what went wrong, and is it fixable? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Lukasz
osterchrisi
Basically the Kommander is reverse polarity protected. But that protection only goes to a certain extent. Please also have a look here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93770
It could be that you damaged your Kommander, also only in the short amount of time. It depends on a lof of factors if it broke or not. But if you get "audio modulation" effects on your output signal then something probably broke down and it's hard to say what it is or if it is fixable.

For certainty you could try to check out if it's not a certain lamp or light in your room. I remember one user who had a certain type of lamp or light above his setup that disturbed the output of the Kommander and to him it sounded like "audio modulation" as well. If that isn't the case with you then I fear the Kommander is broken.
shortsleeves
osterchrisi wrote:
Basically the Kommander is reverse polarity protected. But that protection only goes to a certain extent.

OK, so – to what extent it is polarity protected? Just curious.

osterchrisi wrote:
Please also have a look here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93770

I've read that thread.

osterchrisi wrote:
If that isn't the case with you then I fear the Kommander is broken.

If it is broken, how do I go about repairing it?
tektoktiktak
Please send us an email at support@koma-elektronik.com, we will than send you an RMA number so you can ship the unit to us for repair. All warranty and non-warranty repairs are done in our workshop in Berlin.
osterchrisi
shortsleeves wrote:
osterchrisi wrote:
Basically the Kommander is reverse polarity protected. But that protection only goes to a certain extent.

OK, so – to what extent it is polarity protected? Just curious.

The reverse polarity protection is simple - if you apply a power source with the wrong polarity there will still be a flow of current through the circuit in the wrong direction, albeit a comparably small one. Depending on your power source (PSU) and various tolerances of different parts you can still do damage, like destroy electrolytic caps or simply burn a chip through. It's different from case to case and therefore hard to foresee what will be happening.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik  
Page 1 of 1