MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Running Wogglebug into uScale?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Running Wogglebug into uScale?
digidandy
So, if I run the stepped CV out of the Wogglebug into the uScale II, would it automatically scale anything into, say, the two, three or five notes I choose on the uscale?

That is, will the uscale force *anything* coming into it (within the 0-10v) to the X notes I choose on it? For example can I get the stepped CV out of the Wogglebug running into the uscale to choose between just, say, the notes C, F, A?
exper
Definitely.
chinard
Yup. uScale is great at this kind of thing.
I would recommend passing the wogglebug cv through a scale/offset module to get it in the right range otherwise it tends to be a little all-over-the place.

Here's an example i patched up recently with the woggle-cv output going through the uScale with only black keys selelected
[s]http://soundcloud.com/chinard/snakes-and-lattices[/s]
digidandy
Marvellous! Learning something new every day.

Thanks.

EDIT: Nice, chinard - NICE! Very ... trippy. smile
EarlJemmings
Sweet!

Say, is that track named for snakes and lattes w00t
chinard
EarlJemmings wrote:

Say, is that track named for snakes and lattes w00t

razz
partially yes
VortexRanger
chinard wrote:

I would recommend passing the wogglebug cv through a scale/offset module to get it in the right range otherwise it tends to be a little all-over-the place.

You can scale the Woggle's stepped CV output with the Chaos Balance knob, and offset with the tuning knob of the destination VCO. If there's nothing in the Heart Input it will always output positive CV which is good since the uScale doesn't interpret negative voltage.
clusterchord
wow,,, this thread is just what i needed... i got a woggle and am looking to buy uScale2.. was wondering about the same thing..

would something like Manhattan CVP be a good match maker btwn the two...?

(it gets you offset, glide and attenuverter)

thanks
chinard
clusterchord wrote:

thanks

yes, thats exactly what i used in that patch to scale/offset my wogglebug.
fwiw, i am using a DIY bridechamber wogglebug #3 and not the makenoise so i dont get the benefit of being able to use the 'chaos balance' knob
cartoonbomb
Somebody posted a demo of exactly this and it really made me want both a woggle and a uscale. I think it was called "Wogglebug plays the zither" or something like that because the sound came from DPO final out into an Optomix (I think).
Flex Off
chinard wrote:

Here's an example i patched up recently with the woggle-cv output going through the uScale with only black keys selelected

That's a sweet patch man, quite hypnotising smile thumbs up
anti_climacus
cartoonbomb wrote:
Somebody posted a demo of exactly this and it really made me want both a woggle and a uscale. I think it was called "Wogglebug plays the zither" or something like that because the sound came from DPO final out into an Optomix (I think).

Ahh thanks for the reminder! That was such a great song. Here's the link:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81534&highlight=wogg lebug+plays+zither
renasent
chinard wrote:

This is wicked thumbs up
Tooths
Great tips - thanks guys!
clusterchord
chinard wrote:
clusterchord wrote:

thanks

yes, thats exactly what i used in that patch to scale/offset my wogglebug.
fwiw, i am using a DIY bridechamber wogglebug #3 and not the makenoise so i dont get the benefit of being able to use the 'chaos balance' knob

great!!

a little sidequestion: since the bi-polar pot on the CVP isn't detented,,, do you have trouble setting it to absolute zero, when/if you need it?

i love the idea of attenuverters, but am wondering about this.. (in comparison to regular pot with a invert switch like TriATT for example)

thanks
chinard
clusterchord wrote:

a little sidequestion: since the bi-polar pot on the CVP isn't detented,,, do you have trouble setting it to absolute zero, when/if you need it?

i love the idea of attenuverters, but am wondering about this.. (in comparison to regular pot with a invert switch like TriATT for example)

thanks

There is a bipolar red/green status light which is a pretty good approximation of where zero offset should be that i use as a guide. But for this patch you wont be using that.
What you will do with offset is to turn it as clockwise as it needs to go so that the signal does not dip down below zero, otherwise you are missing the negative half of your range. (full wave rectifier i guess)
This will be needed for the cv input to the uScale since it only does (0 - +10v)

oh yeah, MATHS will do this as well but you dont get the fancy bipolar status light.. at least not on MATHSv1.. does maths2 have this?
tommaso
^ it has!
fisherking111
one of my fav combos! If not for the wogglebug, I would have sold my uScale already...
digidandy
What would be the easiest way to adjust the gate length of the Wogglebug "random gate burst"?

It's running into a uScale 2, and I want longer gates ...
zdarma
Doepfer a-162 trigger delay
cger
That's pretty cool.
I haven't even tried this yet. I'm going to run Wogglebug through Triatt into Tame Machine.
AudioFetish
chinard wrote:

loving that, don't suppose you remember any of the patch details do you?

edit, for the wogglebug line, not the whole track, obviously
metaBit
chinard wrote:

Fantastic patch!
chinard
AudioFetish wrote:
chinard wrote:

loving that, don't suppose you remember any of the patch details do you?

edit, for the wogglebug line, not the whole track, obviously

I put my patch notes in the soundcloud description,
I think i have a saved patch on modulargrid that is 'similar' to this patch that i could probably redo for this.

Quote:
Generative Modular patch with almost no human input. I only faded in/out the primary/secondary melody for beginning at end.

Primary melody is wogglebug fed through an uScaleV2 and timed by PEG/RCD outputs. This is controlling 3 vco6's fed through an MMF-1 filter
Secondary melody is fed by quantized out from Rene set to the same scale as the uScale2. This is controlling a Subcon/PlanB M-15/37 combo fed through a DMF2 filter.
Both filters are fed into VCA-4MX being pinged by a pair of MATHS that are timed from the RCD outputs.
The VCA-4MX is processed through the SPH-2 spatial phaser and then finally through Roland RE-301 chorus echo.

the part that you asked about is very strightfoward.
wogglebug CV out through a CVP module to offset/scale the signal
cvp out to the uscale in.
uscale activated for black keys only (pentatonic scales work extremely well with wogglebug and all blacks is the easiest pentatonic i know)
uscale cv out to my vco6's.
Now the envelope for this was a PEG AR with slow decay triggered by the %5 division from the RCD. the neat part of this effect was that the notes would change much faster than the envelope triggered which is why it has that 'trill' sound to the melody when you can hear the notes change many times per envelope.
bradpickapiper
I already own a Stillson Hammer and it seems like Wogglebug would pair nicely with it. Are there any other modules I would need with this combo? Just wanna force the Wogglebug to specific keys. Thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1