MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ravenstine & Wheeler - CD albums of IDOW EML sessions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires  
Author Ravenstine & Wheeler - CD albums of IDOW EML sessions
s o l v e n t
Now available to order from our webshop: A pair of brand-new full length CDs by Pere Ubu synthesists past and present, Allen Ravenstine and Robert Wheeler.

City Desk - http://tinyurl.com/kd9y5nt
Farm Report - http://tinyurl.com/kbylcnc

"In the spring of 2012, Allen Ravenstine and Robert Wheeler travelled to historic Grant Avenue Studio in Hamilton, Ontario, to appear in I Dream of Wires, a film documentary about the role of modular synthesizers in electronic music. Canadian Filmmaker Robert Fantinatto dedicated 20 minutes to an interview with the two pioneers of industrial electronics, and their choice of the unique EML Electrocomp synthesizer as a performance instrument in Pere Ubu.

Ravenstine had left synthesis behind him years before but, with characteristic good humor, he agreed to patch and perform on the EML-200 for the documentary. With Wheeler joining in on his signature EML-101, two lengthy stretches of unplanned improvisation followed. The filming schedule was thrown out the window and the studio stayed open until Ravenstine was forced to catch his flight back to New York City.

Perhaps because the two had never played together before, the recordings that followed have a magical quality; a voyage of mutual discovery in a genre that they had pioneered a decade apart. At points one or the other musician would leave the room, letting the antique synthesizer fill in his parts until he returned.

Engineer Bob Doidge described the experience as watching "four hands attached to one body." It was virtually impossible to discern where Ravenstine began and Wheeler ended.

"This project is the work of two friends with mutual respect and a profound shared intelligence," Wheeler said. "Electronic meditations, musique d'ameublement, imaginary landscapes; there are dozens of ways of describing the end result of this remarkable collaboration. The fact is that you have probably never heard anything quite like it."
KnobHell
Jason, thanks for posting that. I enjoyed every moment.

len
clarke68
Thanks for putting these out! I was tempted by the vinyl releases but $40 for a pair of 12" singles is a little too "collectable" for me.

Now here's a hard question for you: which of the two CDs do you prefer, or would you recommend buying first? ("buy both" is not an answer!)
s o l v e n t
clarke68 wrote:
Thanks for putting these out! I was tempted by the vinyl releases but $40 for a pair of 12" singles is a little too "collectable" for me.

Now here's a hard question for you: which of the two CDs do you prefer, or would you recommend buying first? ("buy both" is not an answer!)

We actually had nothing to do with putting these out. They were self-released by those guys, and I just bought a bunch of them wholesale, knowing that they would be of interest to IDOW's customers.

To be honest I haven't listened to them in full yet! The only place I have a CD player is in my car, and they're not exactly driving music. I need to get a CD player before I can report back! I've listened to the 12"s a bunch but those are only 1 track per side, while the CDs are both full-length albums.
Minimoog56
I have both. Vinyl set is beautiful. Did not need the CD but got anyways.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires  
Page 1 of 1