Calibrating the Frequensteiner?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

premieklovn
Wiggling with Experience

Calibrating the Frequensteiner?

Post by premieklovn » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:14 am

It seems like the resonance on my Frequensteiner need to be calibrated. When resonance is set at 0 it still gives a lot of thump and I would like to create less thumpy sounds. Anybody tried to calibrate it?

Is it normal that when you crank the resonance it will self-oscillate in a scary and extremely loud way?

Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:10 pm

Hmmm. Sounds kinds wrong to me. Mine self oscillates but no louder than a vco I don't think.

premieklovn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by premieklovn » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:40 pm

I can make a soundfile tomorrow. It's definitely louder than anything.

Tim Stinchcombe
Uncommon Wiggler

Re: Calibrating the Frequensteiner?

Post by Tim Stinchcombe » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:12 pm

premieklovn wrote:Anybody tried to calibrate it?
There is nothing really in the circuit to calibrate - no trimpots for instance. However on mine there is an extra resistor added which looks like it may be some post-assembly attempt at 'trimming' it : the 10k resistor physically located between C7 and C8 has a 2k soldered in parallel to it, which looks like it is there to increase the resonance, so if yours has it too, then it might be worth desoldering one end to see if that lessens the resonance (and if it does by too much, then replacing it with something bigger might then help).

Tim

Jari Jokinen
Sensible Wiggler

Post by Jari Jokinen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:46 pm

Self resonance of my unit goes over 16V peak to peak, which is rather hot. When resonance knob is at full counter clockwise position, there is still noticeable resonance.

Tim Stinchcombe
Uncommon Wiggler

Post by Tim Stinchcombe » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:06 pm

Jari Jokinen wrote:Self resonance of my unit goes over 16V peak to peak, which is rather hot. When resonance knob is at full counter clockwise position, there is still noticeable resonance.
I'll see your 16V and raise it to ... 22.5V peak-to-peak! Just fired mine up to have a look-see - that's rail-to-rail from the output op amp, and it is (not surprisingly) clipping top and bottom too! I also concur on quite a bit of resonance with the pot fully CCW.

Tim

premieklovn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by premieklovn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:17 am

Aha. So I guess I just have to live with it then? It's a nice filter for sure but at the moment it's my only filter (except for the QMMG but I'm still a bit confused about that module).

Any recommendations on filters that sounds lovely with little resonance? Maybe I should get a Moog-like filter? I'm after snappy dry sounds.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”