STG Graphic Sequencer death

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

STG Graphic Sequencer death

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Hmm, my STG Graphic Sequencer just died. I was jamming with my modular and I patched the Stage 1 output of my Graphic Sequencer unto another module and it suddenly stopped working. The other STG sequencer right next to it works fine.

Stopped the jam, turned off the power and back on. Still dead. No lights, nothing. These puppies are quite a favorite in my rack but they are flimsy when it comes to CV in/outs.

Any ideas?

:despair:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

kuxaan-sum
best wiggler ever!

Post by kuxaan-sum » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:46 pm

Curious what other module/input was...?
:eek:
the road to the sky leading to the umbilical cord of the universe...
kuxaan-sum
Space
Cloud
Tape
Tube

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:53 am

Blown power regulator? Totally dead suggests it is lower level as far as troubleshooting goes. If you plug it in to power I would check (with a meter) to see if power is there at various key places around the board.

no-fi

Post by no-fi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:04 am

wow - that's no good. I'd be pissed if any of my modules stopped working after just patching.

Though maybe you'd get more useful advice from STG than this forum? if anyone's seen this before, they must have.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:49 am

If I recall correctly I patched the Stage 1 output from the STG on an the MFB Dual LFO Reset. In any case, there was no reason for it to die.

I'll contact STG but seeing as this was second hand I assume it won't get repaired. I'll look into it myself. It's a bummer though, I never expected to get stuff broken this soon into the game.

:sadbanana:

infradead
leader of the secret trombones

Post by infradead » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:37 am

Talk to STG he's a good guy and I'm sure he'd be interested in this as well.
forget everything you know about sound, then turn the synth on. You can thank me later - slow_riot

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo

lessavyfav
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lessavyfav » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:48 am

One does a long time ago, from something. It worked intermittently and then not at all. STG thought I shorted the main chip I have been waiting for him to do another run so I can get mine repaired. Apparently that stuff happens together. It has been frustratingly long but STG had always been prompt with his responses and a straight shooter. Apparently there isn't reverse current protection of something. Mine may have been it getting plugged in backwards but since mine started intermittently I couldn't recall exactly what kicked it off. It was plugged in ok by the time it died. Anyway, email STG apparently they are in the very cusp of doing a new run...
I'm Tim and I'm excited for modular synthesis! :nana:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:07 am

lessavyfav wrote:STG thought I shorted the main chip I have been waiting for him to do another run so I can get mine repaired.
:hmm: Can't the chip just be replaced?

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:22 pm

mmmm sorry to hear that Paranormal :(

no reverse current protection is probably due to the voltage drop that would occur on the outputs if fitted. (?)

I'm sure it will be a simple fix tho, so chin up. Most likely just needs a new chip. Hope it is socketed and not SMD?

lessavyfav
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lessavyfav » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Yeah- the chip on mine needs to be replaced but apparently new chips won't get done till the new run gets made...
I'm Tim and I'm excited for modular synthesis! :nana:

no-fi

Post by no-fi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Oh dear.

Any time you plug a cable into an input jack, where it's already plugged into an output, you're shorting that output as the tip and sleeve of the plug goes past the sleeve of the jack.

It would be a very bad move for any manufacturer to make a module without proper protection against this. Especially a microcontroller pin...

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:47 pm

no-fi wrote:Oh dear.

Any time you plug a cable into an input jack, where it's already plugged into an output, you're shorting that output as the tip and sleeve of the plug goes past the sleeve of the jack.

It would be a very bad move for any manufacturer to make a module without proper protection against this. Especially a microcontroller pin...
Yeah, this one sounds weird alright. I'm sure STG will help me out, from what little I've gathered he's a cool guy so I'm not worried about it that much. I just hope it's fixable in an easy way, like replacing a chip or something. Don't want to have to send it overseas.

DonaldCrunk
pregnant with sound

Post by DonaldCrunk » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:56 pm

It's happened to mine twice. I've pulled it out of the rack until the issue can be permanently sorted. First time i took it over and got the main board replaced, but i believe he is out of them now. I feel your pain dudes... Im sure something will get worked out.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Crap. Should I remove the second one?

My gripe with the Graphic Sequencer was that it's been a bitch when it comes to clocks. For instance (there's a relevant thread about it) it doesn't like Clockwork's outputs for some reason. You need to use a buffered mult between them. Not much of a problem.

But being scared to plug the module for fear of damaging it ... that's bad. Maybe it needs a revision?

no-fi

Post by no-fi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:28 pm

To be safe you could always make a point of plugging into the destination module's input before the graphic sequencer's output? (or turn the output to 0V before patching, if its definitely an output shorting problem..)

the biggest problem with either solution is it's not conducive to an effortless uninterrupted workflow...

it's a big shame, and I'm sad to see so many people with this issue... I very much wanted one of these modules.

One more question - was humidity really low when this happened? low humidity = high ESD problems

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:38 pm

no-fi wrote:To be safe you could always make a point of plugging into the destination module's input before the graphic sequencer's output? (or turn the output to 0V before patching, if its definitely an output shorting problem..)

the biggest problem with either solution is it's not conducive to an effortless uninterrupted workflow...

it's a big shame, and I'm sad to see so many people with this issue... I very much wanted one of these modules.

One more question - was humidity really low when this happened? low humidity = high ESD problems
Humidity was not something out what you'd expect from an Autumn day. I mean, it went through a Mediterranean summertime. I can't imagine deciding to croak now for that reason.

PMd STG, I'll report back.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:49 am

STG got back. He said I need a new main board, so I'm in the same boat as you guys. Hopefully it will end up in a song.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:19 am

Checked and there's no way this gets fixed without a new main board. This sucked a big chunk out of the love I had for the Graphic Sequencer. :sadbanana: :sadbanana: :sadbanana: :sadbanana:

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:23 pm

sorry guys i can't fix this until i get the new run finished. it's literally just waiting on getting this damn Andromeda sold so i can pay for it.
http://suitandtieguy.com
http://stgsoundlabs.com
http://knobcon.com
suboptimal wrote:... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:26 pm

no-fi wrote:Oh dear.
i love your avatar.

btw that output is buffered. the only thing that causes these micros to blow is in the power section.

no future modules will use the 5V rail, so this won't happen again (except with this module.)
http://suitandtieguy.com
http://stgsoundlabs.com
http://knobcon.com
suboptimal wrote:... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.

kuxaan-sum
best wiggler ever!

Post by kuxaan-sum » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Hey Suit,
Is there anything that should be avoided to prevent this?
the road to the sky leading to the umbilical cord of the universe...
kuxaan-sum
Space
Cloud
Tape
Tube

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Hey Suit,

any news on this front? I'm getting rather weary. :despair:

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein » Sat May 03, 2014 1:56 am

Hey Paranormal Patroler, looks like a year's gone by...did you get this worked out? I was thinking of picking an STG graphic sequencer secondhand but this issue has made me wary.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat May 03, 2014 5:20 am

Actually I had my second fully working one up for sale but then I changed my mind. STG has been absent and my latest PM (though it's been a while since I sent it) has been left unanswered; he's probably busy. I'm kind of on the edge whether I should sell one before the other gets fixed as I do enjoy having it.

I'd be happy to get some news on this issue as well, it might help me make a choice.

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein » Sun May 04, 2014 2:56 am

I assume then that you're quite happy with this sequencer. It seems nice and simple. Weird how they never got back to you - a year later!
Now looking at the pittsburgh modular (though I prefer sliders).
Last edited by airfrankenstein on Sun May 04, 2014 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”