MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

STG Graphic Sequencer death
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author STG Graphic Sequencer death
Paranormal Patroler
Hmm, my STG Graphic Sequencer just died. I was jamming with my modular and I patched the Stage 1 output of my Graphic Sequencer unto another module and it suddenly stopped working. The other STG sequencer right next to it works fine.

Stopped the jam, turned off the power and back on. Still dead. No lights, nothing. These puppies are quite a favorite in my rack but they are flimsy when it comes to CV in/outs.

Any ideas?

seriously, i just don't get it
kuxaan-sum
Curious what other module/input was...?
eek!
DSC
Blown power regulator? Totally dead suggests it is lower level as far as troubleshooting goes. If you plug it in to power I would check (with a meter) to see if power is there at various key places around the board.
no-fi
wow - that's no good. I'd be pissed if any of my modules stopped working after just patching.

Though maybe you'd get more useful advice from STG than this forum? if anyone's seen this before, they must have.
Paranormal Patroler
If I recall correctly I patched the Stage 1 output from the STG on an the MFB Dual LFO Reset. In any case, there was no reason for it to die.

I'll contact STG but seeing as this was second hand I assume it won't get repaired. I'll look into it myself. It's a bummer though, I never expected to get stuff broken this soon into the game.

sad banana
infradead
Talk to STG he's a good guy and I'm sure he'd be interested in this as well.
lessavyfav
One does a long time ago, from something. It worked intermittently and then not at all. STG thought I shorted the main chip I have been waiting for him to do another run so I can get mine repaired. Apparently that stuff happens together. It has been frustratingly long but STG had always been prompt with his responses and a straight shooter. Apparently there isn't reverse current protection of something. Mine may have been it getting plugged in backwards but since mine started intermittently I couldn't recall exactly what kicked it off. It was plugged in ok by the time it died. Anyway, email STG apparently they are in the very cusp of doing a new run...
JohnLRice
lessavyfav wrote:
STG thought I shorted the main chip I have been waiting for him to do another run so I can get mine repaired.

hmmm..... Can't the chip just be replaced?
maudibe
mmmm sorry to hear that Paranormal :(

no reverse current protection is probably due to the voltage drop that would occur on the outputs if fitted. (?)

I'm sure it will be a simple fix tho, so chin up. Most likely just needs a new chip. Hope it is socketed and not SMD?
lessavyfav
Yeah- the chip on mine needs to be replaced but apparently new chips won't get done till the new run gets made...
no-fi
Oh dear.

Any time you plug a cable into an input jack, where it's already plugged into an output, you're shorting that output as the tip and sleeve of the plug goes past the sleeve of the jack.

It would be a very bad move for any manufacturer to make a module without proper protection against this. Especially a microcontroller pin...
Paranormal Patroler
no-fi wrote:
Oh dear.

Any time you plug a cable into an input jack, where it's already plugged into an output, you're shorting that output as the tip and sleeve of the plug goes past the sleeve of the jack.

It would be a very bad move for any manufacturer to make a module without proper protection against this. Especially a microcontroller pin...

Yeah, this one sounds weird alright. I'm sure STG will help me out, from what little I've gathered he's a cool guy so I'm not worried about it that much. I just hope it's fixable in an easy way, like replacing a chip or something. Don't want to have to send it overseas.
DonaldCrunk
It's happened to mine twice. I've pulled it out of the rack until the issue can be permanently sorted. First time i took it over and got the main board replaced, but i believe he is out of them now. I feel your pain dudes... Im sure something will get worked out.
Paranormal Patroler
Crap. Should I remove the second one?

My gripe with the Graphic Sequencer was that it's been a bitch when it comes to clocks. For instance (there's a relevant thread about it) it doesn't like Clockwork's outputs for some reason. You need to use a buffered mult between them. Not much of a problem.

But being scared to plug the module for fear of damaging it ... that's bad. Maybe it needs a revision?
no-fi
To be safe you could always make a point of plugging into the destination module's input before the graphic sequencer's output? (or turn the output to 0V before patching, if its definitely an output shorting problem..)

the biggest problem with either solution is it's not conducive to an effortless uninterrupted workflow...

it's a big shame, and I'm sad to see so many people with this issue... I very much wanted one of these modules.

One more question - was humidity really low when this happened? low humidity = high ESD problems
Paranormal Patroler
no-fi wrote:
To be safe you could always make a point of plugging into the destination module's input before the graphic sequencer's output? (or turn the output to 0V before patching, if its definitely an output shorting problem..)

the biggest problem with either solution is it's not conducive to an effortless uninterrupted workflow...

it's a big shame, and I'm sad to see so many people with this issue... I very much wanted one of these modules.

One more question - was humidity really low when this happened? low humidity = high ESD problems

Humidity was not something out what you'd expect from an Autumn day. I mean, it went through a Mediterranean summertime. I can't imagine deciding to croak now for that reason.

PMd STG, I'll report back.
Paranormal Patroler
STG got back. He said I need a new main board, so I'm in the same boat as you guys. Hopefully it will end up in a song.
Paranormal Patroler
Checked and there's no way this gets fixed without a new main board. This sucked a big chunk out of the love I had for the Graphic Sequencer. sad banana sad banana sad banana sad banana
suitandtieguy
sorry guys i can't fix this until i get the new run finished. it's literally just waiting on getting this damn Andromeda sold so i can pay for it.
suitandtieguy
no-fi wrote:
Oh dear.

i love your avatar.

btw that output is buffered. the only thing that causes these micros to blow is in the power section.

no future modules will use the 5V rail, so this won't happen again (except with this module.)
kuxaan-sum
Hey Suit,
Is there anything that should be avoided to prevent this?
Paranormal Patroler
Hey Suit,

any news on this front? I'm getting rather weary. seriously, i just don't get it
airfrankenstein
Hey Paranormal Patroler, looks like a year's gone by...did you get this worked out? I was thinking of picking an STG graphic sequencer secondhand but this issue has made me wary.
Paranormal Patroler
Actually I had my second fully working one up for sale but then I changed my mind. STG has been absent and my latest PM (though it's been a while since I sent it) has been left unanswered; he's probably busy. I'm kind of on the edge whether I should sell one before the other gets fixed as I do enjoy having it.

I'd be happy to get some news on this issue as well, it might help me make a choice.
airfrankenstein
I assume then that you're quite happy with this sequencer. It seems nice and simple. Weird how they never got back to you - a year later!
Now looking at the pittsburgh modular (though I prefer sliders).
airfrankenstein
oops double post..sorry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 2