MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Vulcan or ulfo - Highlander style, there can be only one...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Vulcan or ulfo - Highlander style, there can be only one...
frozenkore
So I have an A-143-3 right now in my 6U. I'm planning for my second 6U and want some modulation. I am debating between the Vulcan and the ulfo but only have room for one.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Vulcan and have seen some nice videos. On the same note, I've heard a lot of people looking forward to the ulfo when it drops here shortly.

You all have far more knowledge/experience than I so I pose those question. What are your thoughts? I'm not looking for a "you should buy this because it's cooler," I'm more looking for "A can do this and this and B can't but B can do this, this, and this and A can't," kinda thing more.

Thanks in advance!
DrOctave
never played with a vulcan but i love the ulfo
wetterberg
it's difficult, because while both LFOish they're quite different.

The Vulcan does that whole freaky "ooh I'm cross-modulating things with all my might" thing, and it does have CV control, which I like. It's an odd-ball unit for sure. Fantastic, and it IS on my list of modules to get.

The uLFO is, in some respects, simpler; it's "just one" lfo, but what it does there it does EXTREMELY well, imnsho.
The fact that it's a great audio-rate oscillator doesn't make it any less of a steal. I use the "Sine Shaped" output ALL the fucking time, and I honestly don't do a patch these days without the uLFO in there somewhere.
felix
Even though I've never used a uLFO (so take this with a grain of salt) my feelings are that it is like the AFG of LFOs. It's a "basic" LFO, with lots of possible simultaneous outputs and two FM inputs. It's like "everything that you need from a single LFO".

The Vulcan's real appeal (or at least its biggest differentiator) comes from the fact that it is, at its core, two independent LFOs. The easy x-modulation (just turn up the CV attenuators without patching an external signal) and the SUM/DIFF/MIN/MAX outputs yield VERY unique modulation sources. They are still "cyclical" but can tread near the edge of chaotic with enough x-mod.

I really like using the DIFF outputs (set to use both squares) as a clock source, while using the various other outputs as modulation sources for the voice that the clock will be triggering. Using both MIN/MAX outputs to modulate different sources allows you have something be "globally modulated" but not sound like it's actually coming the same source.

It's a shame that the Vulcan Expander module, which would allow you to change the various waveforms used for the SUM/DIFF/MIN/MAX operations from the front panel, is still not available because it really opens up the range of signals that you can get from those outputs.

So, it kinda depends on what you want. If you want a "straightforward" LFO with a boatload of waveform options, frequency modulation, and wide sweeping frequency range, the uLFO is definitely what you're looking for. If you want a weird multiple signal generating modulation source, that still can operate as two basic independent LFOs, then the Vulcan is really hard to beat. I think they're both 14HP, so no real size advantage either way.
anselmi
for me the main fact that turn the vulcan off as an option is the lack of sync/retrigger option...for me this is a critical issue that makes some rythmic things impossible to do...

the uLFO shines as a modulator and it´s also very capable as a second (or third) oscillator with a calibrated CV input that can cover 5 octaves of nice tunning and go up to 5k...really handy
dkcg
Maybe it comes down to how much chaos vs control you want or is needed?

uLFO, more traditional more control.
Vulcan, you guide it but you're along for the ride.
Cwejman DLFO, somewhere in the middle.

That sine shaper looks cool on the uLFO...
frozenkore
Hey thanks guys, I greatly appreciate the feedback. Since I have the A-143-3, I think I'm going to go with the vulcan first. The uLFO sounds like it will be a great utility lfo (which I think is what the U stands for). I think when the system builds further I'll definitely grab one. For now though, I think I need to add some more "flavor" if you will and it sounds like the vulcan will do that in a semi-chaotic kind of way.

@felix I'd be interested to hear what you've done sounds like. Right now I cannot comprehend what you are saying would produce, but it sounds interesting. Also that expander sounds like it will be awesome, hopefully that'll be released still.

dkcg wrote:
Vulcan, you guide it but you're along for the ride..

I like this thumbs up

The A-143-3 doesn't seem to hold a candle to the uLFO, but since it does basic lfo, I'll wait. The A-143-3 is okay, it gets the job done, I wish it did more (I wish it had CV controls).

Anyhow, thanks again, this has been most helpful and insightful.

Cheers!
sonicwarrior
frozenkore wrote:
The A-143-3 is okay, it gets the job done, I wish it did more (I wish it had CV controls).

It looks like there is a version with CV inputs in the making:
http://www.doepfer.de/a1434.htm
But it lacks the range switches and sawtooth outs.
felix
frozenkore wrote:
@felix I'd be interested to hear what you've done sounds like. Right now I cannot comprehend what you are saying would produce, but it sounds interesting. Also that expander sounds like it will be awesome, hopefully that'll be released still.

This doesn't really show off everything possible, but should give you a general idea. It's hard for me to even predict what influence the Vulcan will have on a sound, even if I can image the type of control voltage that it's going to create.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1