MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Can you suggest a mixer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Can you suggest a mixer?
Tronketz
I'm looking for a little mixer to control volume of my synth output and also control volume going to my speakers. Is there any little high quality mixers, maybe 4 channels you can suggest?
Babaluma
there are mini mackies which should be ideal for what you are talking about, 402 vlz3 or 802 vlz3.
ignatius
Tronketz wrote:
I'm looking for a little mixer to control volume of my synth output and also control volume going to my speakers. Is there any little high quality mixers, maybe 4 channels you can suggest?

how much do you want to spend? and define 'high quality'?

the mackie onyx or allen and heath mixers would probably do fine though i gave up trusting the monitor volume on my mackie long ago.. you can hear one side get dim before the other as you turn it down.. not really a problem for most applications though.

if you only need 4 channels and want something 'high end' there are a handful of options and more on the horizon.

these are all spendy options:

Radial is coming out w/a 500 series rack that has built in mixer, summing mixer etc.. and for a way cheaper price than any other rack.. get a couple 500 series pres or whatever put them in there and you're good to go. worth watching the video at the link if you are thinking about getting something 500 series. pretty awesome.

http://keyboardmag.com/BlogComments.aspx?id=101925&blogid=965

http://vintageking.com/API-3124MB?sc=18&category=337

http://vintageking.com/Tonelux-8-Channel-V8-Mixer-4x-FX2-1x-SM2-1x-CR2  ?sc=18&category=496

DrOctave
the allen and heath zed line is very affordable and they are usb. think of future mixing.they start at i think 350$
ignatius
DrOctave wrote:
the allen and heath zed line is very affordable and they are usb. think of future mixing.they start at i think 350$

are the converters in those "all-in-one" boxes any good? i know A/H mixers are good but i've never been sold on any of those mixers that try to do everything.

if you don't have an audio interface already you could just get one of those metric halo ones. the uln2 has conversion/monitor control and mic pres all in one and is a quality box..

http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/ULN2_2dExpanded.html

a couple of the motu interfaces have monitor controller and mixer functions as well and are reasonably priced.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
you want to buy my mackine LM3204? hihi
ok... SERIOUS overkill.

makies $100 4 channel one looks uber nice and is really compact.
Tronketz
Babaluma wrote:
there are mini mackies which should be ideal for what you are talking about, 402 vlz3 or 802 vlz3.

makes sense.

ignatius wrote:
define 'high quality'?

high quality as in, something that can recieve and send signals without fuss and the controls work flawlessly, no weird quirks of bad construction, no components that are thrown into the system to give it perks, such as an EQ that sucks or pre-amps that should be be thrown in the garbage... but I guess all mixers should have pre-amps. No digital components / effects.

Anyway, mackie is a good option if I need something right away. What if I want to spend some time gathering funds to buy something really worth keeping? Anything like this around $500?
ignatius
i'd look into the mackies and allen and heaths..
DrOctave
ignatius wrote:
DrOctave wrote:

are the converters in those "all-in-one" boxes any good? i know A/H mixers are good but i've never been sold on any of those mixers that try to do everything.

if you don't have an audio interface already you could just get one of those metric halo ones. the uln2 has conversion/monitor control and mic pres all in one and is a quality box..

http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/ULN2_2dExpanded.html

a couple of the motu interfaces have monitor controller and mixer functions as well and are reasonably priced.

one of my friends has a zed14channel it sounded clean to me. I almost bought the same one but got a deal on an edirol 16dx for 225$ so i saved some cash but lost the playing live with a great mixer. and its allen and heath they have never made a bad mixer i am aware of. and 350 for a straight 14 channel road ready mixer that is usb 2.0 cap is awesome.check out thier 32 4 bus one or i think its 24 4 bus there is a video. one sec i will find it.
ignatius
yeah i know A&H make nice mixers for all kinds of applications that sound great and having a USB interface or FW interface built in is a nice bonus.. but i (me personally) have never been sold on the 'add on' FX and AD conversion that companies throw into their mixers. i'm sure it's a handy thing to have and i'm not gonna get into a debate about the quality of the converters etc.. just saying my personal preference for studio work... i've always been happier w/dedicated boxes... separate mixer/soundcard etc. so i tend to recommend that when someone asks but it's not like you have to use that stuff just because it's in there.. i'm sure all the analogue bits are just as good as they've always been.

just my 2 cents.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
you can also do some neato-pateeto feedback tricks with standalone mixers... iirc.
tokyocat
deleted
qu.one
tokyocat wrote:
The Allen and Heath ZED desks are supposed to be very good, the only weak point is that the USB audio is only 16-bit.

Very true. BUT - I have a ZED22fx and absolutely LOVE it. It has unbeatable quality with direct i/o to the computer (it's stereo bi-directional) on the usb channel for less than anything else I could find. I already had a MOTU 828mk2 for more serious high resolution recording if need be. I needed more inputs and the ZED had that plus the FX (which are very simple, easy to use and sound surprisingly good) and stereo USB. You can bus main mix, aux1/2 or aux 3/4 to the USB channel so you can easily record sections at a time. I didn't multitrack record with my 828mk2, so i wasn't looking for it specifically on my new mixer. I will still keep the 828 as an expander/possible volta interface for sure.

The firewire ZED is the top o' the line but it's much more expensive and rightly so. It's fully duplex meaning it can send audio in and out through every channel all built into A/H analogue boards with their EQs over firewire.

...Oh and its class compliant so NO DRIVERS AT ALL. I can plug it from my desktop into my laptop without missing anything.
tokyocat
deleted
scozbor
the mackie onyx 820i looks perfect
Illiac
ignatius wrote:
Radial is coming out w/a 500 series rack that has built in mixer, summing mixer etc.. and for a way cheaper price than any other rack.. get a couple 500 series pres or whatever put them in there and you're good to go. worth watching the video at the link if you are thinking about getting something 500 series. pretty awesome.

hyper hyper
That looks great!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1