[IN STOCK] E.A.S. "miss 10" LFO/Noise/S&H v2.0

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by emdot_ambient » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Could any of you who have built this tell me if there's really any advantage to having an attenuater for the the S&H input?

Seems to me the Noise output level attenuaters are "nice to have" rather than "must have" features, but I have no idea about the S&H input.

freestatefx
Common Wiggler

Post by freestatefx » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:48 pm

I too have found that only the LFO works on my version 2.0 board (the LED does work though). Anyone figured this out?

:sadbanana: :help:

I normalled the "White Noise Out" to the Track In" via a switching jack.
Synthesizer assembly, repair, and modification.
email: freestatefx@gmail.com

kogz23
Common Wiggler

Post by kogz23 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:16 pm

I got mine working. I think there is an error in the BOM though. I changed Q1 to a 2n3904 instead if the 3906. Hope this might help someone.

E.A.S.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by E.A.S. » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 pm

kogz23 wrote:I got mine working. I think there is an error in the BOM though. I changed Q1 to a 2n3904 instead if the 3906. Hope this might help someone.

Thanks!!! I remember fixing this on my builds, but apparently didnt update this BOM.

Ive updated the BOM on the first post!

Thanks again!

-M
E.A.S Miss ten series PCBs-----
MISS 10/20/50 VCO,
MISS 10/20 VCF/A,
MISS 10/20 LFO/NOISE/S&H,
MISS 20 MINDREADER PCB/POTs.

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:50 pm

So a bit of a puzzler... I'm building one of these for a client, everything is together and working except for the noise section. It's completely dead. I've checked over component placement & the BOM 5 times now, I've replaced the chip and both 3904s, probed every pad to make sure the board isn't flawed. and still nothing.

Are there any changes/corrections/notes that didn't make it to the thread?

E.A.S.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by E.A.S. » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:37 pm

negativspace wrote:So a bit of a puzzler... I'm building one of these for a client, everything is together and working except for the noise section. It's completely dead. I've checked over component placement & the BOM 5 times now, I've replaced the chip and both 3904s, probed every pad to make sure the board isn't flawed. and still nothing.

Are there any changes/corrections/notes that didn't make it to the thread?
In the ms-10 schematic TR13 (Q1) on the miss 10 is a PNP, so a 2n3906 should work here.. I’m current in Europe right now, so I can’t check the layout on my design computer but I remember there being a footprint issue with the transistor library I used back then. So, a PNP, where maybe the part get inserted reverse the silkscreen. I’d start there. I’ll get back when I get back to the states! -M
MISS 10/20/50 VCO,
MISS 10/20 VCF/A,

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Cheers Mike, thanks for the quick answer. Went ahead and put in a socket for Q1, tried any combination of pin orientations for both a 3904 and 3906. Still nothing... I injected an external noise signal into the opamp input and got both white and pink noise at the output, so whatever's happening seems to be at the noise source itself.

Enjoy Europe! I was in Italy this spring, I do love it over there. 8-)

Edit: so... got it going? I pulled Q2 to put a socket in for that one too, then tried a few different transistor combos and ended up getting noise with... a pair of 3904s oriented as shown in the silkscreen. Which is exactly where I started, and how I failed to get sound with two different pairs. I genuinely don't know what was wrong. Better lucky than good this time. (But indeed, a puzzler.)

Nevertheless, can confirm that BOM and silkscreen are both accurate. Board works great when built as shown in the OP. If you have no noise output, try using magic transistor sockets. (If you don't have any on hand, cut them out of a DIP-8 IC socket like I did.)

E.A.S.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by E.A.S. » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:06 am

negativspace wrote:Cheers Mike, thanks for the quick answer. Went ahead and put in a socket for Q1, tried any combination of pin orientations for both a 3904 and 3906. Still nothing... I injected an external noise signal into the opamp input and got both white and pink noise at the output, so whatever's happening seems to be at the noise source itself.

Enjoy Europe! I was in Italy this spring, I do love it over there. 8-)

Edit: so... got it going? I pulled Q2 to put a socket in for that one too, then tried a few different transistor combos and ended up getting noise with... a pair of 3904s oriented as shown in the silkscreen. Which is exactly where I started, and how I failed to get sound with two different pairs. I genuinely don't know what was wrong. Better lucky than good this time. (But indeed, a puzzler.)

Nevertheless, can confirm that BOM and silkscreen are both accurate. Board works great when built as shown in the OP. If you have no noise output, try using magic transistor sockets. (If you don't have any on hand, cut them out of a DIP-8 IC socket like I did.)
Currently in Naples, heading to Rome for a few days! Also, I don’t know what I was thinking in my last post, both transistors ARE NPN, in the original and the miss10.
MISS 10/20/50 VCO,
MISS 10/20 VCF/A,

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:00 am

The schematic I have does show a 3906 for TR13. Clearly not correct, but probably related to how it got lodged in your brain.

Love Naples - we were there for a couple nights too. Climbed Vesuvius, explored Pompeii, took a day on Capri... Good times. 8-)

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Post by Dave Kendall » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:26 pm

@ E.A.S - Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I've been out of SDIY for a while - are you still selling the PCBs listed in your sig?

Also, perhaps a forlorn hope here, but will you ever do another run of the HADSR?

Not much to go on, I know, but I'd take 2 - 3, and I know of at least one other wiggler here in the UK who'd probably take a couple. I could probably knock up a couple of HADSRs on perfboard or similar, but a proper PCB would be so much nicer.

:)
Want to Buy: KURZWEIL KSP8

"Everything in moderation, including moderation"

Return to “Music Tech DIY”