MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

296e older and newer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 296e older and newer
DrOctave
Ok so I been looking at vids of the 296e and i notice people like Ross their 296 looks different than mine. Are there any main differences? I see the older one has 3 knobs on the bottom left and 3 on the bottom right. any one have a close up of the older 296e?
dkcg
I think recall a post by Lyonel who said he thought the 1st version of the 296e sounded a little better. I think he said something about the touch "pots" were different too. I can't say for sure, I'm not sure which version mine is.

I believe he's had the Rev 1 and the Rev2 296e's. Maybe he'll chime in.
dan_p
^ Don, yours is the rev 1.

I think the main differences are that Rev 1 has CV attenuation and Rev 2 has signal attenuation. Rev 2 also has an extra pair of LED to show disp modes.
DrOctave

DrOctave
top is older bottom is newer
stega
New one lets you set decay per band with the touchscreen vs the old knob which sweeps all the bands decay... That is the main difference.
DrOctave
makes me want the older one also... fawk dis shyte
stega
DrOctave wrote:
makes me want the older one also... fawk dis shyte

Why?
DrOctave
well to see and hear the differences. and because to get the full effect of the 296e you need 2.
opsysbug
DrOctave wrote:
well to see and hear the differences. and because to get the full effect of the 296e you need 2.

Now he will not sleep until he has the earlier version. lol
drumsofd00m
I'd like to know how the 296e's sound in comparison to the original 296, and thus to good clones, presumably;

and also if there's any way to replicate the quasi-bandpass sweep the 296 could do (w/ center and bandwidth controls, both VC).
dan_p
stega wrote:
New one lets you set decay per band with the touchscreen vs the old knob which sweeps all the bands decay... That is the main difference.

Thats not correct, you can set the decay per band using the touch screen on the old one. but yes the new one does not have the env decay knob. That was pretty useful.

Personally I prefer the old one, though I haven't tried the new.

Anyway, I'm going to stop reading this thread, its just making me miss my 296e

cry
jondent
opsysbug wrote:
DrOctave wrote:

Now he will not sleep until he has the earlier version. lol

This is a first world problem hihi
When one 296e isn't enough. nanners
stega
dan_p wrote:
stega wrote:

Thats not correct, you can set the decay per band using the touch screen on the old one. but yes the new one does not have the env decay knob. That was pretty useful.

Personally I prefer the old one, though I haven't tried the new.

Anyway, I'm going to stop reading this thread, its just making me miss my 296e

cry

Wait. So where do you set the decay if there is no decay mode to switch into with the button??

If you look at the new one there is a decay mode...

Never had an old one so no idea...
sascha.victoria
You set the decay with the touch strips per channel in decay mode.
stega
sascha.victoria wrote:

But there is no decay mode on the v1? Right?

Confused... confused
ttown23
So I guess I should chime in here because I have all 3 nanners

I have the rev 1 296e, the rev 2 296e, and 2x 296c made by a very gifted Canadian builder (selling/trading one of them in the Buy/Trade section).

I actually don't notice anything really in terms of sound differences between rev 1 and 2 296e's. The panel layout is the only thing different for me. And actually I have always been able to get whatever I needed done with either of them.

The big difference, IMO, with sound quality is in the 296 clone. It has a warmth and-for lack of a better word- more liquid and 'hi-fi' sound to it than the newer ones. Just my 0.02, and YMMV etc. on that, but that's been my experience, especially for complex tasks such as vocoding.
dan_p
stega wrote:
sascha.victoria wrote:

Confused... confused

The 2 modes that have seperate led on rev 2 are all led on and all led off on rev 1, can't remember which is which but one of them is env mode, you set the dec per band with the touch sliders or for all bands with the pot.
amnesia
I have my one for sale. Its the original e version $4k
DrOctave
amnesia wrote:

lol no thx it is to hard to come to a deal with you ross. you flip flop more than me.
stega
dan_p wrote:
stega wrote:
sascha.victoria wrote:

Confused... confused

The 2 modes that have seperate led on rev 2 are all led on and all led off on rev 1, can't remember which is which but one of them is env mode, you set the dec per band with the touch sliders or for all bands with the pot.

We'll that clears it up...

Thank you sir.
amnesia
DrOctave wrote:
amnesia wrote:

lol no thx it is to hard to come to a deal with you ross. you flip flop more than me.

That is for 2 reasons
1 I was not 100% I wanted an Easel, I could change my mind 2 times a day about that

2. The 296e is so unique that everytime I go to sell it I stupidly watch one of my 296e vids and change my mind.

Everything else I have beed superb at. buying / selling. Not a single bad trader thread here or on ebay.
I have never taken anyones money and not delivered and rarely change my mind. As stated the 296e is for sale.
ttown23
... and my 296 is also for sale, for what I paid for it on the used market: $4.5K
stega
BOOM! Vids on teh way...

[/img]

Just got her in and working together nicely!
opsysbug
Very nice Stega! Beautiful system.
My 1st 296e is...arriving...in...the...mail...today! It's motherfucking bacon yo
(and I'm at work waah )
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2