MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

R-56 reverb module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author R-56 reverb module
suboptimal
I seem to recall the impedence being different. You could always try it and see . . .

Lately I've been using the R-56 so much as a gain boost its reverb aspect has been feeling a little neglected. It does astonishing things to square waves.
johnwynberg
Just curious... It's the R-56 still a limited edition? I know Eric mentioned that he was making only 50, to begin with, but then some people mentioned a second run. Also, I've seen some around, so it's difficult for me to believe there are only 50 in the whole world. It is even more difficult to believe that it is not that difficult to find. I'm interested, but if it's not that limited now, I can wait, give a rest to my bank account.
burnn_out!
I just wish Eric would make a standalone version. As neither of my cases can power it.. waah very frustrating
suboptimal
"I'm making 50."

"OMG OMG OMG BUY BUY BUY!"

"50 thousand. Idiots."
johnwynberg
suboptimal wrote:
"I'm making 50."

"OMG OMG OMG BUY BUY BUY!"

"50 thousand. Idiots."

lolspew
metasonix
johnwynberg wrote:
Just curious... It's the R-56 still a limited edition? I know Eric mentioned that he was making only 50, to begin with, but then some people mentioned a second run.

Yes, the first 50 sold out, people begged for more so we are on the second run of 50. Once those are gone, I'm going to either kill it or raise the price substantially.

Still having a problem with the reverb tank supplier. They sell out, fail to reorder, and leave me in the lurch. It's now a single-source item as only the one US dealer is stocking it presently (or claiming to stock it, which they often don't).

This is nothing. The D-1000 is one of the worst products I've ever made, from the standpoint of difficulty and complexity (and "special" parts that are constantly "out of stock"). Turning out to be even more painful than the Wretch was. Yet every time I say I'm going to cancel it, I tell the dealers and they beg for more.
Carl Hungus
So it sounds like I really need to get a D1000 ordered sooner than later?

How is the long term viability of the S2000, as that is also something I'm interested in.

Love my R-56 btw.
johnwynberg
I just ordered one. Excited... hyper

Not sure how necessary it is to get an additional reverb tank, but for the comments above, I'm considering an Accutronics 9EB2C1B.
suboptimal
IMO the external tank is needed to open up the full range of the module. The glorious gain and distortion characteristics are available without it, but with an external tank the reverb becomes much easier to control.
Carl Hungus
burnn_out! wrote:
I just wish Eric would make a standalone version. As neither of my cases can power it.. waah very frustrating

I can confirm that both my Pitts 90 cell case and now a 4ms Rowpower 40 can successfully power my r-56. Though I just got the 4ms so that may burn out, but the specs seem adequate. Might be worth looking into if you need a cheap option.
el clon
i can confirm that you can't run two of them in a Goike/Zeus skiff that's also powering a POKEY and a pair of SID Guts..... who knew?

but you can definitely power one, though, with all that heavy-draw stuff, plus a few more light-weight things.
FatRocky
what about just one r-56 , an atoner and noise swash with the make noise mini power supply
anyone having good results with that?
thumbs up
Carl Hungus
Guys

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you disengage the small tank when hooking up a larger accutronics? I just got my 18" tank and assumed that hooking it up to the rcas would break the normalisation of the small tank, but it's still rattling away. I think most of the sound is still small tank, although my gain response seems to have changed for the better.

Thanks!
Fatfreddy
On manual found this :
"the internal tank may be disconnected by carefully pulling out the two small white plastic connector plugged into the blue-plastic tank assembly, accessible from the rear of the R-56"
Carl Hungus
D'oh! Must have missed that. Thanks very much!
Carl Hungus
Hey all

Here is a demo I did of the R-56 with Parallel tanks. The larger tank is a Accutronics, 17".

I think the module sounds better with the small one also engaged, as the feedback is much more responsive. With just the big tank, it was just getting crunchy, but not ringing. Sorry, I don't have a demo of that specifically.
I think parallel tanks gives the best of both worlds, better gain, but that musical feedback swell.

File has been commented with the various knob movements. Fairly straightforward, first Gain only, then Wet only, then Feedback.

Patch:
DPO Sine with FM--->uVCA triggered by a PEG--->R-56 mix out--->Juggernaut preamp---Burl ADC---Pro Tools.

No modulation on the R-56 except what the circuit is doing itself. I did have to adjust the preamp gain once or twice, so big volume drops are usually me adjusting gain, not the unit.

enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/dredging-house/metasonix-r-56-parallel-tanks
joey
got mine. adore it. next up is a d1000 if I can find it.
el clon
Carl Hungus wrote:
Hey all

Here is a demo I did of the R-56 with Parallel tanks. The larger tank is a Accutronics, 17".

I think the module sounds better with the small one also engaged, as the feedback is much more responsive. With just the big tank, it was just getting crunchy, but not ringing. Sorry, I don't have a demo of that specifically.
I think parallel tanks gives the best of both worlds, better gain, but that musical feedback swell.

File has been commented with the various knob movements. Fairly straightforward, first Gain only, then Wet only, then Feedback.

Patch:
DPO Sine with FM--->uVCA triggered by a PEG--->R-56 mix out--->Juggernaut preamp---Burl ADC---Pro Tools.

No modulation on the R-56 except what the circuit is doing itself. I did have to adjust the preamp gain once or twice, so big volume drops are usually me adjusting gain, not the unit.

enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/dredging-house/metasonix-r-56-parallel-tanks

great recording! thumbs up
it really makes me want another reverb tank to mess with... it seems to add another dimension to the sound.
Carl Hungus
Can't recommend it enough. For 30 bucks and 10 min making some RCA leads it's well worth messing with another tank. I actually have no issues with just the small, or just the large, but I find a wider musical sweet spot now with both engaged.

thumbs up

Now why the hell are there people selling their r-56s already seriously, i just don't get it ?
What's not to like about this thing?
el clon
Carl Hungus wrote:
Can't recommend it enough. For 30 bucks and 10 min making some RCA leads it's well worth messing with another tank. I actually have no issues with just the small, or just the large, but I find a wider musical sweet spot now with both engaged.

thumbs up

Now why the hell are there people selling their r-56s already seriously, i just don't get it ?
What's not to like about this thing?

actually, now that you mention it.... i'm one of those who is selling one. d'oh!
i can't speak for anyone else, but in my case it's due to a huge vet bill that i recently incurred while saving my bunny from certain death. but i do have two R-56s... i'm only selling it because i don't have the case-power to run a pair of them, plus i'm desperate for $$$. i would never sell the other though.
suboptimal
joey wrote:
got mine. adore it.

I got joey's. Apparently he didn't adore it for long. hihi

Looking forward to experimenting with the pair for stereo treatment. I was surprised to see that the two units have different knobs. The feedback behavior is a bit different between them as well, which isn't as surprising (and is fine). Naturally I had to scratch the itch and run a few Machinedrum patterns through them . . . sounds nice. I loooove the gain characteristics of this module, so much gradation there, especially once gain at the input is also brought under control with a VCA. Everything that goes through it sounds good. It's a far cry from my early experience with the R-51, which I think I just didn't understand . . .

I may need to re-think my plan to keep them at the top of my rack. It puts the hissing, churning frontal tanks at eye level, which can be a bit distracting.

One thing I'm very happy about is the relative low noise introduced by the external tank (I've got the same tank for both units). My tanks are sitting on top of a pair of Furman 1U power strips, where the 199's case simply can't go without picking up a crap ton of noise. Maybe it's just the topology of the R-56, with its maniacal gain and take-no-prisoners feedback that buries any noise deep inside, but I'm inclined to think that this is just an outstanding module.
metasonix
Thank you, sir. And thank you for using a decent power supply that doesn't crap out when it has to feed tubes.
snakejaw
The tissue trick removes the crackle. Thanks! And if I want the crackle back, and no doubt sometime I will, I've got that too! SlayerBadger!
FatRocky
Can the r56 be modified ( or upgraded) to have a toggle switch that allows switching from the small blue tank to an external larger tank?
Neither
I've got two R-56's and they both are completely different. The 1st one is EXTRA SENSITIVE. Even just waving my hand near the tubes can change the sound. The feedback is uncontrollable even with feedback near zero but it helped when I muved my rack further from my monitors. The monitors are magnetically protected so I guess the feedback was from acoustic vibration affecting the tubes and the springs.

The 1st R-56 is so sensitive that I can even get sound of it without connecting any cables. I don't have very much knowledge about tubes and spring so I don't know how normal this is? I can hear the sound signal wirelessly from the 2nd R-56 only tuning into the wet signal on the 1st R-56. The dry signal doesn't transfer information. So I guess the springs are resonating with each other or something... You can see the "wireless connector" in this picture (1st R-56 on left, 2nd on right):

The 2nd R-56 is quiet and sometimes I need to turn the input level to MAX (line level signal) whereas on the 1st R-56 the input level has to be at around -30db (or completely off as like in the picture). The 2nd R-56 sounds beautiful and lush. The 1st R-56 is simply insane. I guess I could use it some highly experimental patches. Would need to find some way to soften/filter the horrid distortion that almost sounds like digital distortion. Edit: of course the other unit is perfect for the softening. Originally I was going to use them parallel way for stereo effects.

edit: seems to be the Edison effect...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 5 of 7