MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

tiptop audio banana style cables
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author tiptop audio banana style cables
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
http://vicmod.blogspot.com/2009/09/second-most-amazing-thing-to-happen -to.html

anyone know where to get them from? I cant find them anywhere on tiptops site.

....I hope there affordable!! angry angry angry
noisesource
they are not for sale yet.

some of us beta testers were given a few each to try and give them a proper work out for a few weeks.

they will be here shortly, the holiday season is almost upon us.
any idea on cost?
otto_tsr
1billion dollar a piece.
dkcg
noisesource wrote:
they are not for sale yet.

some of us beta testers were given a few each to try and give them a proper work out for a few weeks.

they will be here shortly, the holiday season is almost upon us.

how many can you stack and still feel safe with?
brandon daniel
I got the impression from playing with it that you might not want to go more than three deep... still, that's better than zero-deep, which is what you get with no stacking cables!
Waz
Personally I wouldn't pay over 5$ for one, but since its the only one of its kind, I can see people paying 10$ for one cable. I hope this is not the case.... Supply and demand. seriously, i just don't get it

Does anyone know if TTA is making these in different colors? I've only seen the black ones.
brandon daniel
I've seen three colors.
Waz
brandon daniel wrote:
I've seen three colors.

Sweet! SlayerBadger!
I would definitely not pay more then $5, I'm hoping there $3 a piece. confused
Illiac
how much are naners?
naners?
science
Illiac wrote:
how much are naners?

If you buy them from an electronics supplier, usually $4-6 each for Pomona cables. If you buy them from a modular manufacturer, $7 each if you buy in large quantity, more if not.

Moral of the story: don't buy banana cables from modular manufacturers... unless you just really want to support them with extra money.
Illiac
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
naners?

nanners Sorry, it slipped out. I kind of want to punch myself in the face.

Well, here's to hoping Gur can flip these for no more than $5. I'm definitely going to convert over.
Mr White

It seems VERY dangerous! eek!

you could end up even breaking the PCB...
how is that any different compared to banana jacks? seriously, i just don't get it
DGTom
It's not the length that matters it's the girth...

that being said... I wouldn't stack bananas like that either, you'd never need to.
BugBrand
Banana sockets are MUCH stronger physically than minijacks -- they're literally a plain metal cylinder of c.1cm depth. The 'spring' for contact is on the banana PLUG. One of the reasons they kick ass.

Banana cables from me (only available currently to people who have modules) £2 a pop (roughly $3.2). Because I use good but cheaper parts than pomona (Rapid parts, linked on many other threads). Rapid do do ready made cables but only of certain lengths.

Anyways, back on track with your stacking-euro-ness that will be wonderful but could also cause some issues I reckon!! (cliff)

Oh though -- if you DO need to do a massive stack then you can always just stack a few on the actual source and then stack some further ones on destinations!
VanEck
Banana jacks are built to stacked and are a bit wider and deeper and "stick" in the jacks better, where as most mini jacks on euro module may not be so stable... but, if you are only stacking 2, maybe 3 cables MAX like I hope to do with these things when they come out, it probably wouldn't be much of a problem at all.

Looking forward to these... probably won't have much need for so many mults after these.

*EDIT* Bug beat me to it razz
Mr White
BugBrand wrote:
Oh though -- if you DO need to do a massive stack then you can always just stack a few on the actual source and then stack some further ones on destinations!

that's what I do with my bc16 as well... that "towers" really scares me..
RetBody
Since there are sockets on both ends, why would you ever need to stack more than once? Mult once on the source jack, then once on the destination, then once on THAT destination, and once on THAT destination, and off you go, at least until stuff is too far apart to reach.
wetterberg
RetBody wrote:
Since there are sockets on both ends, why would you ever need to stack more than once? Mult once on the source jack, then once on the destination, then once on THAT destination, and once on THAT destination, and off you go, at least until stuff is too far apart to reach.
exactly... and allow me to say that that picture wasn't that good of an idea, because skeptics will take one look at that and go "well that doesn't look safe!" - and in reality you'll never need to stack this high.
mhtones
Sorry, newbie question here. Does stacking these cables cause the signal to degrade proportionally? (For example, 2 plugged in causes signal to be halved to each destination)
And will that affect the way they interact with the destination modules or are most original signals strong enough for this to be of no concern?
This seems like such a simple idea that exponentially increases the flexibility of a small system. I like! thumbs up
wetterberg
mhtones wrote:
Sorry, newbie question here. Does stacking these cables cause the signal to degrade proportionally? (For example, 2 plugged in causes signal to be halved to each destination)
no, that's not how it works.
This is exactly like using a mult, except for the annoying patching of mults. There are situations where you need buffering, but most things don't need that.
dbuyense
hope these come out soon.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2